Vulnerable dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
On the forum occasionally there pops up the question of an ideal bushcraft dog. On the whole people tend to promote their own pet.

Consider the Otterhound, this is the most vulnerable dogbreed in the UK.

It is a native breed.
Excells in Tracking
Good with other dogs and people
Hardy in the outdoors
Good allweather coat
Loves water (Ideal for the open canoeist)
Looks like a lot of bushcrafters I have met. :lmao:

Check out this link:http://www.otterhound.org.uk/

I do not breed them or own one or have ever owned one. I would like to own one and thought other people on the forum i have met would like one too if they knew of it as a breed. I also do not like the thought of a native breed becoming extinct in its country of origin.

it is worth checking out. I think it looks like a giant airedale in need of a haircut.

Jamie

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just been reading your link and they look great, particularly liked the 'Breed' section; it looks like it's been put together by an owner and enthusiast rather than an inexperienced observer with an opinion and self inflated sense of importance. Good stuff!

I'd consider owning one but a) i've already got two Lab's and b) Jed Jnr has just turned one yr and has'nt finished building his birch bark canoe yet (i'll have to put a rocket under him!).

Seriously, i agree with most dog owners in that, you get out of dog's what you put into them. You have to spend time and give a lot of attention to dog's particularly pup's. Training and fun need to be a large part of your routine and i cannot understand some people who have busy lives and cannot commit to this and STILL get a dog!

Top link though mate, more power to ya! :D

H

Heathenpeddler

Only problem with an Otterhound is the smell. The waterproofing oils in their coats are very heavy - they are even more of a water dog than a Lab - and even with regular washing it honks. They are not really a dog you'd want to keep indoors. That is one of the reasons they declined - their job doesn't exist anymore and they leave oil on everything.

(My misses is a big dog fan - loves hounds)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE