Volunteers Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice one, hope to see you there, I still can't confirm until nearer the time but will do all in my power lol

So what's the 'norm' on these things re food, every man for himself / herself, a bit of a stockpile for a community stew ? Gaz, any local vermin need eradicating, flying, hopping or tree hugging variety lol fresh meat :drool:

I'll be looking after myself and as far as I know, so far that's the stamp for the weekend. I'm back up there on Monday so I'll have more info then but I know he has a wood fired pizza type oven, made from a 45 gallon drum installed so, anyone who fancies a go at a bit of "F.O.B." baking will probably be welcome to give that a go.

On the subject of "vermin" control, please; under no circumstances should anyone bring along guns,of any description, archery equipment etc or set up any snares or traps. This is the one side of things that is strictly "off the menu":cop:

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm currently rota'd in for call-out that weekend, I'll try and swap it this week if I can.

I'll keep you posted

rancid badger

Well as promised, here's a bit of an update:

The plan will be for anyone driving a 4x4 to park in the wood if they choose to, it'll be up to you but Gary will be offering a ferry service with his Four Track & trailer, from the main road at Medomsley, where there is a mix of off road and sideroad parking, not ideal, but adequate I guess.

As for the tasks he's got planned; well the "reception area" still needs a good tidy up;
[video=youtube;nRGCylgvwFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCylgvwFA&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ&index=1[/video]
Don't be disheartened by the look of this bit!, the rest of the wood is mostly pristine, with some really fantastic bivvy, tent and hammock/tarp opportunities.

And the log hut could do with the roof re-doing and the walls chinked with clay, though that may well be a job for warmer weather!:rolleyes:
P3260066_zpscbb1175e.jpg
P3260056_zpsad31adbc.jpg

but he's thinking about building some brash screens for a toilet area somewhere near the hut. He's a dab hand at open fire grilling, this is probably the smallest fire I've seen in a barrel, to turn out such well cooked results!

Tidying up a few of the potential pitches around the wood, basically just clearing dead wood and piling it up as fire wood stacks, leaving the ground clear for tents or whatever.
P3260045_zps1fc7ce9f.jpg
P3260060_zps8c0a75c1.jpg

Maybe some trail breaking, just nosing about, clearing a path or two through the tree's and bushes.
P3260044_zps796d7baa.jpg
P3260062_zps2c5df3b6.jpg
P3260034_zpsf66d3607.jpg
P3260048_zps1779afc9.jpg

I think it's going to be very dependent on how many folk show up, as to what gets done.
P3260014_zps21c04038.jpg
P3260067_zpsdd07efe6.jpg
One man and his dog

Once again, contact him directly via the link posted earlier in this thread or try a pm on here, he's not on that much and He's very new to all this stuff, so the mobile is probably your best initial bet.

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Count me in please,

Nuggets+:pokenest:= :surrender:

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov
Chis , Sue an Brad
TobiasHarrogate

Btw if anyone wants any snugpak stuff i can take a tenner off the price and bring it with me (Just saying)

Cheers

rancid badger

Count me in please,

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov
Chis , Sue an Brad
TobiasHarrogate

Btw if anyone wants any snugpak stuff i can take a tenner off the price and bring it with me (Just saying)

Cheers

That's a good point actually, anyone with any spare kit, or stuff they've made or whatever, that they want shifting, feel free to bring it along, you might not sell it but then again......;)

don't forget to contact Gary direct so that he can keep tabs on numbers.

cheers

Steve

Jan 9, 2011
Harrogate

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov
Chis , Sue an Brad
TobiasHarrogate RsRocket
Was in touch with Gary on FB and got the ok to turn up, will try get the Friday off work, look forward to meeting people and learning new skills .Rob

rancid badger

Just a last nudge for this one, I might not be able to make the Friday night myself, due to a canoe trip (weather permitting) but should be good for Saturday/Sunday.

There must be a few more folk from up and around the doors who would like to check this out?

Maybe not?:confused:

cheers

Steve

gaz1210

Feb 13, 2013
Durham
www.facebook.com
Hi all just say were really looking forward to seeing you all this weekend, please don't worry too much about start times or days, just turn up whenever you can and
wander down, hopefully it will stay dry so we can get a few people parked nearer to the wood
any hand tools people can muster up would help massively and please bring some food and drink to keep yourself going, there is plenty of firewood about for cooking on and the aim for the weekend is to build a round house from brash, clear a few clogged drains and generally let people get to know the woods

see you there!

gaz 07792 334289

https://www.facebook.com/CowcloseWood

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
Morning all,

I am going to be there today (Friday) but not staying the night. I'll be bringing a friend from work.
I look forward to seeing everyone.

John

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov
Chis , Sue an Brad
TobiasHarrogate
Minstrel + one

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
Hi guys,

I headed over to Gaz's place for a mooch around and give him a hand with some spring cleaning.

I brought a friend from work with me...he knows a lot more about woodland management than me and was at a loose end.
We were met by Gaz and Clare and pointed in the direction of somemaintenance...a drainage ditch needed some attention. We layed into it for a hour or so before breaking for lunch and meeting up with Rocket (Rob).

After lunch we had a couple of hours coppicing before breaking for a brew and meeting up with Jez (Chisler) and Sue. We had stuff going on over the weekend so bid them all adieu...

There's plenty of work to do... I hope to get back soon and manage to spend a night there.

Sorry to have missed those coming up on Saturday...have fun guys!

John (and Dave)

There's a few pics of the guys at work.. here:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE