Volunteers Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got very little information on this, beyond the dates but Gary, from Cowclose wood, featured in this thread:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104099&p=1280477#post1280477

Is looking for volunteers to go along there and give a hand with various tasks over the weekend of 19th, 20th, 21st April.

As I understand it, you get to wild camp for free for the weekend, from Friday through to Sunday, as well as practice a few skills, wander round the wood, light fires or whatever.

All that is expected is that you give a hand with whatever tasks need doing, within your own limits.

for more information on volunteering, contact Gary direct, either, via pm on here (gaz1210) or via his facebook info page: https://www.facebook.com/CowcloseWood/info

contacting him via mobile is probably your best bet, as he's usually pressed for time and doesn't get on here that much yet.

There will be some free basic skills sessions on offer too, probably some simple firelighting/foraging/gathering TBC.

Hope to see you there, as I'll probably be involved in at least some of the skills sessions:eek:

cheers

Steve

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nothing to offer in the tool department without power, but ready willing and able, work permitting, I say that as I'm self employed and you never know, but yep, deffo up for it, will call Gaz.

rancid badger

yup am up for that landy and chainsaw at the ready :cool:

The landy might well be handy but you'll need to speak to Gary to get booked in regardless;)

I've no idea how many folk might be interested in this, but now I come to think about it, it might be a good idea to get in asap, as if by some fluke of nature there are too many volunteers, He'll have to turn folk away, or it could become unmanageable!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

There's plenty of space but not much in the way of tools to go round but Gary can fill you in on the details.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I'd love to but I'm at a meet that weekend. Please let me know if you need help any other time though as I have a particularly empty diary these days :)

rancid badger

Just to be absolutely clear: I'm simply giving a heads up for this, I'm not directly involved in any way at this point in time, beyond publicising the fact that Gary is looking for volunteers.

I may or may not get along and help out myself but the event itself is nothing to do with me personally.:eek:

Anyone wishing to register an interest should contact Gary direct.

cheers

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Marked the dates in the diary Steve, I'll drop Gary a Pm in the meantime.

I won;t know if I'm free until a bit nearer the time but it sounds like it could be a good weekend.

rancid badger

If you got the train to Newcastle, then the local rattler train to the Metro Centre, you can get a bus from there to Consett and another down to Medomsley, which will drop you more or less on the doorstep.

Failing that, given the general nature of the membership on here, it's quite likely that someone may well be able to pick you up either somewhere on their way,or failing that possibly Durham.

Obviously, this is likely to be more attractive to folk with their own transport or who live locally.

I suppose it might be worth starting a list of those intending to turn up, as well as those able/willing to offer the odd lift?

cheers

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds good but transport up there might be a problem.

If you got the train to Newcastle, then the local rattler train to the Metro Centre, you can get a bus from there to Consett and another down to Medomsley, which will drop you more or less on the doorstep.

Failing that, given the general nature of the membership on here, it's quite likely that someone may well be able to pick you up either somewhere on their way,or failing that possibly Durham.

Obviously, this is likely to be more attractive to folk with their own transport or who live locally.

I suppose it might be worth starting a list of those intending to turn up, as well as those able/willing to offer the odd lift?

cheers

Steve

I'll be coming up the A1 so can grab you on the way past Res

rancid badger

There you go! ;)

I just hope the weather has realised it's spring by April the 19th!:deal:

Here's a few photo's from last weekend, the last time I was across;

This is the track down into the wood, the car belongs to someone visiting, who didn't realise that wet farm tracks are best suited to tractor's, horses and 4x4's:drive:
P3170069_zpsdc9d8e20.jpg

This one of the tracks in the wood itself, plenty of young ash, hazel, sycamore, birch, beech, etc
P3170070_zpsd76092a7.jpg

but needing some drainage sorting out;
P3170073_zpsdc9a6189.jpg

the same position but looking up the track toward the western end of the wood and the top of the stream valley;
P3170072_zps331e4308.jpg

And further up the track, getting into the hazel coppice area's, still loads of other species too though.
P3170077_zps7b458b6d.jpg

Anyway, I'll start a list, just copy and paste or whatever( please remember:- you need to speak to Gary direct to confirm you are going)

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Swmbo , my son an I , would like to get involved.....

I will pm Gary as I don't have facebook. And see if were welcome ? Plus nuggets needs monitoring lol

rancid badger

I don't do facebook either, I really don't get it! but anyway:eek:, you can try pm'ing him on here but he's a bit of a newbie when it comes to forums apparently

I'm sure he'll be happy to have you and yours along;)

dont' forget to update the list once you're sorted out:deal:

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Were on board :thumbup:
Lookin forad to this , will be good to help aht an meet some new folks :cool:

Rancid Badger (Steve)
Nuggets
Bopdude
Shewie (Rich)
Resnikov
Chis , Sue an Brad

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nice one, hope to see you there, I still can't confirm until nearer the time but will do all in my power lol

So what's the 'norm' on these things re food, every man for himself / herself, a bit of a stockpile for a community stew ? Gaz, any local vermin need eradicating, flying, hopping or tree hugging variety lol fresh meat :drool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE