Volunteering, work in the Cairngorms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, and that's political :)

Honestly, schengen was an unknown, I genuinely had to look it up. I wonder if the Irish use the word either ? Both UK and Ireland opted out of that bit of the borderless area, so probably why I don't remember it ever heard mentioned.

The thread has become a rambling conversation :D Very clear cut divide on opinions though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13194723
for schengen. We're not in it.
M

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Well, a surprising number of replies!

I have been following this, reading and re-reading the posts so as to understand where folks are coming from. I know there will always be conflicting points of view and there has been some interesting replies but I'm baffled by some of the replies and to be honest, the almost hostile negativity.

Folks seem to forget, we live in a barter system, this exchange of work for accommodation and food is barter, and, as has been pointed out, a few times, 25 hours work (of this type) would not provide you with enough money to house and feed you for a week up here. Some basic calculations have been posted on here, possibly other folks greater personal income or expectations skews their views?
For some, perhaps, it would sit better if it was called 'work exchange' or something like that rather than 'volunteering', although you can pay to volunteer for other business's and charities?

Referring to it as 'slave labour' I find quite sad.

Surprising that some folks have now made assertions and assumptions about a small business that they know nothing at all about other than, possibly, had a look at on the internet. Pretty poor by my standards on BCUK which is a public forum!
I would be very, very, very surprised if they were operating outside of employment regulations and having had people there from all around the globe they will know what their responsibilities are. I do not know the owners, they are an established business, I have only heard good things and have no reason to believe they are anything other than totally legit.

Charities have been mentioned, have you seen what some of the CEO's of Registered Charities are paid? A lot of them are personally in a very good financial position and probably don't need the money anyway, alright they may not be able to sustain their present lifestyle so easily.
Volunteers, I know folks who have, some, not all, have been worked to the bone and lived in poor accomadation with payed employees of the charity directing them and using emotional blackmail to keep them there and at it.
Charities are a money making enterprises, ethically better? Not so sure when you find out how much of the income actually gets through to where it should be spent and goes on direct aid! I've seen an old tramp trying to buy a jumper with only a couple of quid in charity shop (won't mention which one), he was a quid short and they refused!

The only reason I posted the opportunity in the first place was due to the experience I had when I first started in the outdoor pursuits world, hence stating that it would suit a youngster or some one with no responsibilities.

Ok, it was some time ago but when I started I received £35 a week plus board and accommodation in a mobile home. I worked 5.5 days a week, 7.30a.m. - 8.30p.m., sometimes later, yes we had breaks. We received some sport specific training and there were only a few qualifications to be gained back then as they weren't legally required. It wasn't well paid but I had a great time, fab environment, good people to meet, the owners were ace and the training we received in pastoral care, etc; was excellent. In short it was an fantastic springboard opportunity and a superb foundation.

I have thought carefully before making the following statement, remembering that it's only for a short period.
I know if I was, or when I was, younger I'd be well up for this, a bit of work learning and acquiring skills as I go and furthering my personal development, no worry about food and accommodation and I could spend the rest of my time in an area with Freedom Of Access, bushcrafting, climbing, walking, canoeing, etc: What an experience, the stuff that memories are made from, you only have one life!

I will certainly think twice about posting anything similar on here.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dogoak,

Don't be put off posting such things again. Lots of the negative talk here is from folk who live a long way off and/or who's views were formed by their own distant life experiences. That's just people and kind of goes with the territory on the net. The forum has thousands of members, and there are only a dozen or so posting here, a drop in the ocean. :)

I think its good that people do look at stuff that is posted with a critical eye and ask questions like those asked here. If someone offered something really dodgy I doubt there would be any disagreement and the critical inspection and negative comments would serve as a good warning for interested folk to take care. Here, with a much more mixed reaction, I reckon it serves just to get someone to have a good think about what it is and whether they want to do it, rather than just jump in with blind enthusiasm.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
25 hours a week is not voluntary any more...
Come on...

Slave is indeed an overstatement. But people use overstatements in a discussion.

If people have enough backup by parents or some other backup, one can do whatever he wants.

But in general it's this is a debt making situation for normal dudes. So please don't call these negative comments, but think and calculate.

Ps yeah I know Schengen!

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Cheers Chris

25 hours a week is not voluntary any more...
Come on...
See my post #82, re. barter, it's an exchange, personally I think 'volunteer' is the wrong word for this situation, and many others where you actually have to PAY to go and have the experience. Friends that have volunteered (without paying and without getting paid) have done more than 25 hours a week.

Slave is indeed an overstatement. But people use overstatements in a discussion.
Yep, totally agree, to a point, most of the time there is no need to though, it's just a case of thinking and being considered before typing.

If people have enough backup by parents or some other backup, one can do whatever he wants to.
Why only people with backup? I, and plenty of other folks have done what we want without backup. My other half and I moved 600 miles up to the Highlands, with a mortgage, no contacts, no jobs, no family financial support or any other support, we just did what wanted to do, and got on with it.

But in general it's this is a debt making situation for normal dudes. So please don't call these negative comments, but think and calculate.
It could be debt making if you want. I can't see why it has to be though, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is still time to get a paid part time job, bar work or shelf stacking in Aviemore as examples if you wanted or needed to.

Again, as per post # 82, I have read, and re-read the posts, there are negative comments so I will call them as such.
I did 'calculate' before starting the thread, I'm not one to rush in blindly. If I thought in anyway this was an exploitive position I wouldn't have posted it. There are plenty of examples of that kind of volunteering, some of which are the ones where you actually pay for the privilege and I wouldn't be posting those.

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I removed it. It didn't make much sense, although it read a lot like a semi political impassioned rant and the mods that have looked at it so far agreed that it didn't do you any favours and didn't add information to the thread. Since you said it was your last post on this thread, and I assumed that meant you were done with reading it too, I did not rush to tell you it had been moderated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's the old comment about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. There's more to making a life than making money.

Wwoofing is a well considered practice among almost all who are or have been involved in such an arrangement.
That such 'volunteering' is still thriving is testament to it's appeal and success.
http://www.wwoof.org.uk

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Dogoak, I love your reindeer. Do I have permission to use it for a bit of skin art?

You are absolutely welcome to use it. Be good to see pics of the finished piece.

The kettles always on, the chairs are in the garden, biscuits might be superseded by home made cake. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am thinking of getting my first Skin Art, and would like something primitive, to show my inner self.
I like that Reindeer. Also have a Norse war ship, a Stone age ship with fishermen and a stone age fish (Coalfish son thinks) to choose from .

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
post scriptum:
it finally dawned on me!
Britain, Wales and Scotland still got the English upper and high class system embedded in their culture.
Och I was slow to understand that!
That why the Scandinavian and Dutch people here dont get it!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
post scriptum:
it finally dawned on me!
Britain, Wales and Scotland still got the English upper and high class system embedded in their culture.
Ooooooooh... Now you're treading on thin ice there my friend...😆
But the tears of peasants taste so much nicer when they've worked for free ...
😊lmao

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
post scriptum:
it finally dawned on me!

In your fantasies.

You got the wrong end of the stick and refuse to look beyond a financial return.
We have explained the costs involved in living in the area, yet you persist in some stupid notion
that volunteering like this ought to come with a wage too.

After your last comment (quoted) I think the 'discussion' has now degenerated into insults.
Don't do it. Life's too short, it's a sunshine and showers day here and I'm enjoying nipping in and
out getting things done. You're spoiling my quiet sit down cup of coffee :sigh:

M

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hahaha!

Ah common it's a discussion.
Let me get a stroopwafel for you to go with the coffee. For real coffee here too.

We just do not agree on this one.

Enjoy Easter tomorrow and quit saterday today.

Peace my friends!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's something from Sumatra that's in my mug. It's a bit 'heavy' for my taste, tbh.
Thank you for the offer of the syrupwaffle thingie, but I'm munching a Jaffa Cake :D and giving serious thought to making my own and using the jelly I made from the quince. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but as soon as Son2 finishes off this box of Jaffas I'll have a go.

31391805600_89ef6c18c5_c.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE