Voluntarily handing in a large blade to the UK police

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
“But the new law will mean that blades without images or words will also be recognised as zombie knives if they have other key features, such as a cutting or serrated edge.”

Only knives with a cutting edge or serrated edge, then. Phew…

To be honest that article sounds like a load of nadgers.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Just to add that I agree with Chris and Teedee - I can't see how there is any legal issue with you owning, gifting or selling this knife.

Part of the definition of a zombie knife is that it displays: "images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”

The Gerber doesn't fulfil this criteria. And there isn't any new information in the January article referenced by Spokenword that suggests it will.

I know there's already been tonnes of back and forth on the forum about the laws and/or rules around posting blades, but this is a different issue and it's worth having some clarity as I think there may be some (unintended) misunderstanding and misinformation at play.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
May as well wait and see what happens, otherwise everyone 'should' dispose of their current collection incase there's a mass ban on pointy things in the future.

I wouldnt worry about what you read in the news until its an actual law.

With regards to selling it shouldn't be an issue- it's after all a garden tool not a weapon of any kind and there still available to buy online (maybe not the exact one you have but similar) and couriers offer an age verification upon delivery.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
1. @spokenword wanted shot of his knife and no one else seemed to want it. So handing it in would be the most sensible thing to do.

2. I agree with the wait and see as long as the knife in the drawer doesn’t fret you. If it does then get rid.

3. I own a (small) knife that has been illegal to own for decades. It has sentimental value. What would happen if it was discovered and reported? I would anticipate nothing more than confiscation. I doubt very much, given its story, that I would be prosecuted.

there still available to buy on line.
. Are they, on aUK site? My Googlefoo isn’t particularly high but I’ve just looked at four online sellers and the only saw backed survival knife on offer is out of stock.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I was thinking the same - Zombie knives are mass produced low priced , low engineered P.O.S - The Gerber is a different beast all together with definite heritage and provenance.

I can understand why its causing you concern but really do feel its worth having a word with some police officers before you do what you seem to be thinking of.
To be frank, I personally think asking any police officer would be a complete waste of time, you won’t get an honest answer. The number of posts I’ve read, on various platforms of someone being told complete and utter rubbish regarding the legality of a knife they own by a policeman who is also a friend of the poster.:(

Reactions: CLEM

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
I'm sure of you went along to the Kempton arms & miltaria fair you would be able to sell it to a dealer there & have an interesing morning at the same time .

nige1

Dec 9, 2012
Yorkshire
Thanks to all. Yep... confusing. I'll just hang and wait. Should be more clarification after the summer.
I haven’t read every word on this thread but scanned it. Why can’t you sell it on here, stipulating buyer to collect. Then you can check age, ID etc? Or is that too simple these days?

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Hi nige1: Thing is, if a person doesn't want to go the, safe, easier route I carefully investigated - I take it to my local courier guy and he does all the checking and record keeping 'officially' - why would they baulk at that, but be more than happy with my, as a private individual, recording all their details, keeping them on record, then travelling to my house to collect?

I don't see the advantage to the buyer of your option. It's less secure for their personal info and they have to travel to collect.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
The drawer is a good option. It will either become illegal and you can chuck it or it won’t and someone will want something like it.
Frankly I cannot see the point of them but that’s just me.

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
The drawer is a good option. It will either become illegal and you can chuck it or it won’t and someone will want something like it.
Frankly I cannot see the point of them but that’s just me.
Agree. I was young and foolish. Seduced by Hollywood. In my defence, it was intended for mountain and survival use.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Whats ur modding skills like?
Any chance u could carefully grind off the sawback that is concerning you and reprofile the spine?
If youve not had a go before and are thinking of ditching it anyway then would be a good test-bed.
Just a thought

spokenword

May 23, 2024
Surrey
Whats ur modding skills like?
Any chance u could carefully grind off the sawback that is concerning you and reprofile the spine?
If youve not had a go before and are thinking of ditching it anyway then would be a good test-bed.
Just a thought
No mod skills here. I own a junior hacksaw, pliers and a few screwdrivers. That's it.

Going to wait and see how thing are after summer. Sorted.

Reactions: Potatohead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE