volkswagen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
evening all,
im planning on getting a VW caddy pickup truck (basically the mk1 golf but a pickup). i will be using it for getting about, to and from work and my own private work on the side, mainly gardening, pruning small trees and shrubs. i would get a larger truck such as a toyota but its going to be my first car and insurance is a killer.

my question is, how reliable are they?

my boss recons volkswagens aren’t all they're cracked up to be and says that they are usually owned by enthusiasts who spend an endless amount of time maintaining them. is he right?

being an old car there will be little in the way of luxuries such as power steering or antilock brakes but surely that just means there is less to go wrong?:confused:

thanks guys
pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My last three motors have all been brand new lease VWs, things have changed since the Mk1 days though. Not sure if that's for the better or not though, never had any bother with any of mine but the new VW/Audi group is at a whole different level now.

My brother had bug vans and beetles when I was growing and he was forever ploughing money into them, not out of necessity or general running costs but more of an obsession.

Personally I don't think you can write off a whole model of car unless they are real stinkers, there's going to be good and bad one's whatever you get. For something of that age I suppose you need to think about availability and cost of replacement parts, check the main running gear is all in good order and the rest of it isn't too much to worry about.

Typically VWs are pretty good as far as older motors go, just try to get a good one and don't buy something iffy just for the sake of it.

Is an open back critical to your work Pete or can you do with a van ? It's possible to get retired utilities vehicles (gas, leccy, council etc) at auction if you get chance to look around. they usually have a full service history and regular servicing too.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I recall quite vividly two VWs I worked on in the garage days, both of which were a real PITA. One was an old VW camper, the other was a newer one though I'll be damned if I can remember what. They were a pain to work on, the older one was rusted enough that we had to weld sheet steel onto it to get it through an MOT. I swore never to buy one, but maybe I was unlucky with those ones?

Pete

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
If it's not got a good service history don't touch it! petrol or desiel? how many miles on clock? i've had a few vw's but i've always hunt a good one down before i buy.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I had a Caddy Pick-up many years ago,
swapped it for my Guzzi LeMans bike! It pulled like a train and would haul loads significantly heavier than any recommendation. It had well over 100K miles on it when I sold it on and I can't remember it every "breaking down". Jay is very right with the recommendation of a good service history, and my good experience is not a guarantee that all will be so good.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My mate has one of the ones based on a mk3 golf and it is bomb proof, deisel engine just keeps going and is as cheap to run as his A4 tdi. Being slightly newer parts are easy to get and cheap as many VW, Skaoda,Seat and some Audi parts fit. His was owned befor him by a gardner who fitted a truckman top to it.
He paid just under £1000 for it service history was prety inclusive and with the truckman top

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I put one through an' MOT last year fer a friend (old x reg diesel).....passed wi' flyin' colours.....But check wi' yer insurance broker as these vehicles (pick ups) are classed as buisness/working motors.....and the insurance reflects that.:)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Is an open back critical to your work Pete or can you do with a van ? It's possible to get retired utilities vehicles (gas, leccy, council etc) at auction if you get chance to look around. they usually have a full service history and regular servicing too.

stuffing branches into something with a roof can be a bit of a nightmare. say i was pollarding a tree, you get lots of strait poles and having easy access from the sides and top to just pile it up makes life so much easier. i was planning of making some high drop down sides so i can fit more in without worrying about loosing anything on the way to the tip lol.

My mate has one of the ones based on a mk3 golf and it is bomb proof, deisel engine just keeps going and is as cheap to run as his A4 tdi. Being slightly newer parts are easy to get and cheap as many VW, Skaoda,Seat and some Audi parts fit. His was owned befor him by a gardner who fitted a truckman top to it.
He paid just under £1000 for it service history was prety inclusive and with the truckman top

i have considered these and would be my second choice but the bed of the truck is over a foot shorted which in a small truck makes a lot of difference.

I put one through an' MOT last year fer a friend (old x reg diesel).....passed wi' flyin' colours.....But check wi' yer insurance broker as these vehicles (pick ups) are classed as buisness/working motors.....and the insurance reflects that.:)

does that mean it will be cheaper? please be cheaper:puppy_dog from most quotes iv looked at i'll be lucky to pay less than £2000

big help guys:)
pete

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
£2000 !, i would consider a car/van with trailer, i drive a van(toyota hiace) that i purchased new, but i have had a nissan cabstar, which i sold with 250000 on it !, they are dirt cheap, also had a suzuki super carry, great little van for round town, and would pull a trailer bigger than its self, you just look like donkey kong when you are 2 up !.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
V'bubs.. well one saved my life in an accident once due to build quality over newer cars... ( the firemen said that any other car that age and I'd be a dead man) the offending gentleman hit me at 80mph whilst I was stationary, and I walked away with a broken nose and some busted ribs. So I love 'em and have a wee polo for the now as a result. They did go through a rusty stage in the mid to late 80's but apart from that the only other car I'd rather be in is a Land Rover, and most landies survive by being broken down so not getting their owners into crashes...lol.

A fireman pal of much repute told me of late that the best wee car to be in is a Corsa, they are ridiculously strong, and have killed many a Volvo driver in a collision.

Cheers
Goatboy.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a T4 van that i'm converting into a camper type thingy....Can't fault it !! The battery went flat a couple o times due to me leaving doors open all day and interior lights on, but other than that runs like a swiss watch and 40mpg too !!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
My Scirocco Scala is 20 years old and still going strong.

Cost £50 to get it through the last MOT.

Like Topknot said, "It's German"

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I made a trike out of an air cooled VW. Reliable enough, never let me down. A bit juicy (30 to the gallon) and still easy to get parts for.
Note there are now trike builders (Boom Trikesfor example) that only use VW bits and are charging £30k for them so they must be reliable.
Have a look at this 2nd hand one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-BOOM-LOW...ewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item3ef90a682d
price......£22k

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I doubt it'll be cheaper fella...as this being yer first car......but hunt around....ye might find a friendly broker:lmao: .
I've had a '71 VW type 2 fer near on 15 years.....An' tho it's a drain on ever dwindlein' funds....The good times had away campin' in it, FAR exceed the cost o' runnin' such a monster!....good luck on yer hunt sah.:D

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hi fella,

Thought I would direct you to this forum

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/

I've been a member over there for donkeys years and occasionally a caddy comes up for sale.

Its been invaluable in keeping my T2 1977 bay alive.

Also if you are considering a Toyota try

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/

The surf's go for next to nothing these days and insurance generally not that bad although not as cheap as a caddy.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you need any advice on the Toyotas sorry can't help much on the water cooled VWs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE