Vikings

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So is it a fictional series, or a history channel documentary?

EDIT:

It must be a fictional series as Gabriel Byrne's in it.

Thanks for the link Rik looks like a good bit of entertainment. :viking: :bigok:

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
only seen two episodes so far its a bit hit and miss. some great things in there like the navigational aids but also a little hollywood. I am yet to see a more structured way to fighting like the famous shield wall, time will tell! so far they have all just run in like idiots which they rarely would have done. will continue to watch for some viking goodness though!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A wee bit of entertainment, I think the phrase "based on historical facts" comes to mind.

This is worth a wee deko though, about how the Vikings dissapeared from Greenland, with some salient points for modern humans, bushcrafters and religious zelots alike.

[video=youtube;eq7OtF45-CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7OtF45-CU[/video]

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Pure fantasy with some stuff from the Sagas and the Saxon chronicles thrown in :)

But high on entertainment value...I wish they would have consulted a historian when creating their costumes...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't pay to watch telly (Apart from the usual TV licence of course) so I can't comment on anything but the trailer.

It looks like a bit of a curate's egg, good in parts.

The information given by the talking heads sounds accurate enough but there is still the usual production team's insistence on covering most things in grime and painting everything else brown.

We call it the "Jabberwocky" effect after the film of the same name and it's just lazy film making in my opinion.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Pure fantasy with some stuff from the Sagas and the Saxon chronicles thrown in :)

But high on entertainment value...I wish they would have consulted a historian when creating their costumes...

Sadly that is something film makers never do.

I remember a conversation with Ridley Scott and Janty Yates while we were making armour for the film "Gladiator" which ended with the the line, "We're making a film. not a history lesson."

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I don't pay to watch telly (Apart from the usual TV licence of course) so I can't comment on anything but the trailer.

It looks like a bit of a curate's egg, good in parts.

The information given by the talking heads sounds accurate enough but there is still the usual production team's insistence on covering most things in grime and painting everything else brown.

We call it the "Jabberwocky" effect after the film of the same name and it's just lazy film making in my opinion.

My point exactly...the ancient ones where quite fond of strong colors and dressing up for the occation :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They used the wrong rifles in The Last of the Mohicans because Michael Mann wanted the long rifles... thats entertainment :) Some good stuff on telly or internet these days for a change, Modern Family, Bluestone 42, Walking Dead, The Following, The Vikings and lets not forget I Claudius.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
All the dogs we have had have returned to me when I have whistled the tune of "The Vikings" (film Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis ). :)

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
They used the wrong rifles in The Last of the Mohicans because Michael Mann wanted the long rifles... thats entertainment :) Some good stuff on telly or internet these days for a change, Modern Family, Bluestone 42, Walking Dead, The Following, The Vikings and lets not forget I Claudius.

And season three of "A game of Thrones" starts on HBO in just a weeks time :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
They used the wrong rifles in The Last of the Mohicans because Michael Mann wanted the long rifles... thats entertainment :)

Are you sure about that one? In the original book by James Fenimore Cooper Hawkeye, the character Lewis plays in the film, carries a "Long Rifle". It was one of the notable points about him. The film is based on the book (pretty loosely but....) so it seems reasonable to give Hawkeye a long rifle in the film too.

What do you think he should have carried?

Cheers!

Huon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Oooops, forgot about A game of Thrones, you can (or I did) go for months when nothing on air takes your fancy and like buses, they all come at once.

Edit: Forgot 'Touch'

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Are you sure about that one? In the original book by James Fenimore Cooper Hawkeye, the character Lewis plays in the film, carries a "Long Rifle". It was one of the notable points about him. The film is based on the book (pretty loosely but....) so it seems reasonable to give Hawkeye a long rifle in the film too.

Cheers!

Huon

Some info on this here
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Mohicans,_The

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

Dont get me started on bows used in certain films ;) I just try to enjoy them and ignore the voice shouting no no no.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
He he, I was in Ireland once and visited the ruins of a monastary near Killearney. When the guide heard I was Norwegian, he pointed an accusing finger at me and said: This happened last time your lot was down this way!

Lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Cheers!

Huon

Not sure of the model but one of the members on the stove forum was technical advisor on the film and said one or more of the guns were of the wrong period for the film.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure of the model but one of the members on the stove forum was technical advisor on the film and said one or more of the guns were of the wrong period for the film.

According to Wiki the long rifle was developped early in the 1700s and was indeed used in the F & I wars (7 Years war) www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_rifle
And according to FrontierFolk.org the first actual long rifles appeared about 1725 though the name "Kentucky Long Rifle wasn't applied until much later www.frontierfolk.org/ky-lr.htm

Both articles indicate that it's usage wasn't significant until the Revolutionary War, they do indicate that it was indeed around and in use (if limited use) during the French And Indian Wars.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE