Viking turnshoe high boots with a twist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi BCUK,

I present my personal pair of Viking turnshoes with a Pictish twist!

As a craftsman, one never stops learning. Though I am self taught in my craft, sometimes it is better and more fun to learn from another craftsman :) And anyone who has ever made turnshoes will know just how painful it is to get the pattern not only right, but adaptable. So as a personal project I decided to take a turnshoe course with turnshoe maker Peter Merret.

These boots are the result of several days tutoring with Peter, using his pattern based on historical finds but which he has adapted over the years to make them more comfortable and practical. I had a fantastic time learning from Peter who has a fierce dedication for turnshoes and plenty of patience as a tutor.

When it came to finish the boots however, I couldn't resist the chance to add a little 'Half-Goat' touch and tool them with Pictish spiralwork. I admit I may have got a little carried away...
The Vikings settled in various parts of Scotland, and came into contact with the Picts through raiding and trade so it's not impossible to imagine a Pict wearing Viking turnshoes (especially as similar styles of turnshoes were worn by the various cultures throughout the rest of Britian). For a Pictish leatherworker who trades in Viking leathergoods, they fit me perfectly :)

To forestall any requests, these boots were a personal project using another leatherworkers patterns. Therefor I will not be making these for sale. If you want the highest quality turnshoes to tread the land of our ancestors, get in touch with Peter through his facebook profile, you won't be disappointed!

HalfGoat Viking Pictish Boots 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Viking Pictish Boots 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Viking Pictish Boots 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Viking Pictish Boots 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Viking Pictish Boots 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those look absolutely gorgeous, Hamish, everything about them looks great! Very nice work indeed :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Brilliant lad :D

I made myself little ones years ago, and wore them absolutely done. I wish I could easily sew the leather now.

I do like your hybrid design :)
Y'know that mixing of peoples of the West coast ? Picts, Britons, Scots and Norse ? they called them Galgael.
That's a Galgael pair of boots I reckon :D

I didn't know of Peter, but I'm off to do some reading :cool:

M

Dreadhead

Those look absolutely gorgeous, Hamish, everything about them looks great! Very nice work indeed :)

Thanks mate :)

:D Brilliant lad :D

I made myself little ones years ago, and wore them absolutely done. I wish I could easily sew the leather now.

I do like your hybrid design :)
Y'know that mixing of peoples of the West coast ? Picts, Britons, Scots and Norse ? they called them Galgael.
That's a Galgael pair of boots I reckon :D

I didn't know of Peter, but I'm off to do some reading :cool:

M

I forgot about the Galgaels acually, good point! I'm hoping to go and examine the finds of a Pictish shoe find up in the national museum in edinburgh next year with the aim to recreate them. But that's one of those future dream projects if i can find the time.
I acually met Peter whilst we were both trading at the gudvangen viking market in norway earlier this year, though we only live an hour or so apart. small world :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
There are times on this forum when I'm blown away by the the things I see and read. This is one of those times. Stunning.

Dreadhead

Thanks for all the kind comments folks :) Looking forward to seeing how these age with time and watch them darken with each layer of wax.

great stuff are you planning on doing many miles in them? i really like the rolled toggles kinda look like quasons.

They are really for when I'm doing the viking markets and such. But any chance I get to wear them will do! Fancy doing a long(ish) distance walk in full viking kit one day but thats one of those future 'what if' projects ;)

+1
What are the soles like?

The soles are about 5-6mm thick so nice and comfortable. I'm thinking of giving them a coat of a rubber/cement mix to make them last a little longer and add grip

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They are stunning Hamish. Really cool looking boots and beautifully made.
Have to get you a job on The Last Kingdom, the boots with their heels kinda grate.
You must have one of the most interesting wardrobes in the country with all the cool kit you've made.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dreadhead

They are stunning Hamish. Really cool looking boots and beautifully made.
Have to get you a job on The Last Kingdom, the boots with their heels kinda grate.
You must have one of the most interesting wardrobes in the country with all the cool kit you've made.

Don't get me started on The Last Kingdom! I've yet to see a single peice of viking clothing. I tell ye I'm no fun to watch the show with :lmao:

I am thinking of what to make next. I do rather fancy making a nice jerkin or jacket but haven't decided yet, but if I come across a good deal for some nice clothing weight deerskin I think I'll nab it and knock something up.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The "Viking" helmets are a hoot. Like a pea on top of the Ben. So tight it must give the actors a headache. Most of all though it's his sword on that blinking back scabbard, totally useless and I keep expecting him to catch it on door jams as he walks through. Still the wooden acting keeps the mind off it. I gave up on the B****** Executioner it was getting way to bad.
Be good to see what you make from the deerskin, was thinking about a sheepskin jobby for the winter, nothing too Arthur Daley more historical. Finding a suitable set of skins at the right price isn't good, will continue to go down the charity shop route.
Again though boots are very cool, how are you finding them on?

Dreadhead

The "Viking" helmets are a hoot. Like a pea on top of the Ben. So tight it must give the actors a headache. Most of all though it's his sword on that blinking back scabbard, totally useless and I keep expecting him to catch it on door jams as he walks through. Still the wooden acting keeps the mind off it. I gave up on the B****** Executioner it was getting way to bad.
Be good to see what you make from the deerskin, was thinking about a sheepskin jobby for the winter, nothing too Arthur Daley more historical. Finding a suitable set of skins at the right price isn't good, will continue to go down the charity shop route.
Again though boots are very cool, how are you finding them on?

haha I don't if you have seen the episode with the cornwallum soldiers hefting wicker shields that have a bloomin big hole right through them! and the costume department thinking 'let's differentiate between saxons and danes by making the saxons look like mail and tabard wearing knights a few centuries too early, and lets just cover the danes in skins and tacky leather studs'. My house rings to the sound of me shouting "NO....NO....NO.....NO WAY....C'MON!" when we're watching it.

Agree about B-Executioner. was an abysmal failure indeed, at least kurt sutter has oficiialy cancelled the show though.

I just wish we would stop doing to the vikings exactly what the victorians did; creating this completely false image that looks very impressive to the fantasy/larp world but when it comes to real viking culture...is so far off it's something else entirely.

anyway rant over. Glad you like my boots ;) They are soooo comfortable, and it is entirely down to Peters pattern. They just flex in the right ways, and the seam between sole and upper is done perfectly to avoid any bending issues. A sheepskin jobby sounds like a good idea, plenty to find in charity shops. I need to make something light for the summer markets, but as you say getting skins at a good price is not always so easy!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great boots again.

Last kingdom... Painfully bad.

I just wish they would stop trying to associate these kind of fantasy/game of thrones wanabees with real history.

If they made as bad a job of making a film about either of the world wars there would be an outcry but just because they can't be bothered to do as much research as picking up a children's book on the Vikings, we have to listen to uninformed bletherers that say "It's only a story..."

Well in my opinion, if you put a date and a place in your title frames, then it should at least try to be historically accurate.

The really sad thing is that doing it right would actually be easier and look ten times better.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE