Viking Tiller Arm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

McKenzie

Sep 23, 2012
Quinton, West Midlands
Hi, just completed this project for my narrow boat. Made from American Ash, this is a replica of an authentic Viking Tiller arm that was discovered in a boat burial in Denmark. The original tiller slotted in to the top of the steering oar and so in the same vain I have adapted the design to fit into the brass Tiller arm attached to the rudder of a narrow boat. It is hand carved using traditional patterns and also has a bee waxed hemp rope with hand made Bronze fininals.The rope on this is representable of the original rope that was used to tie the tiller in a fixed position during heavy seas. I would really appreciate your comments please. Love and Peace to all xx
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MacEricCreations

griselda 5 by stuartmckenzie2, on Flickr

griselda 6 by stuartmckenzie2, on Flickr

Griselda Tiller 2 by stuartmckenzie2, on Flickr

Griselda Tiller 1 by stuartmckenzie2, on Flickr

griselda 7 by stuartmckenzie2, on Flickr

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely carving in its own right, but the fact that it has function as well as form always seems more appealing to me. Lovely work, would be nice to see a picture of it in situ when it's popped into the boat.

Cheers for posting up.
GB.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Sweet job and I like your pics and display method for them too :D +1 on seeing it on the boat.
Ash will be okay if you keep it well oiled or varnished, my canoe paddles are ash with danish oil finish and are doing fine.(I am also assuming, though one should not, that this tiller arm will not be left on in all weathers un-attended for it would surely be appropriated.)

Rob.

Last edited:

McKenzie

Sep 23, 2012
Quinton, West Midlands
Thanks all for your comments, to answer a few questions... The tiller has four coats of top quality varnish to preserve it. I don't like coating wood with varnish as I believe wood should be allowed to breath,so much prefer oils or wax, but needs must in this case although the whole arm is detachable so it will not be exposed that much. I believe Ash was used in cases on boats mainly for its strength, elastic properties and availability, plus it is good on the hands !! As for painting shields on the sides, thanks for the idea, when I find my tin helmet I will suggest it to my wife ! Thanks for all comments. Much appreciated. Oh and thanks to the lady who has commissioned one for her new narrowboat .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE