Victorinox. Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SAK or Multitool

• SAK

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Multitool

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Neither. Full toolbox only.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have had my SAK Camper for 35 years, got it when I was under 10. Never cut myself with it (although I have with others). I have used every tool on it with some frequency, except the blades really. Used them a bit when I first got them but very quickly realised that the steel would not take or hold an edge and I much preferred a lock, so wound up carrying my SAK and something else for actual cutting. Nothing much changed today, except that the away from home cutting EDC is a high end sub-3 slip.

The only SAK tool I regret that I do not have in that knife is the scissors. I do keep thinking I should buy a new SAK, a Huntsman. I would gladly have a SAK without the blades, to keep bulk down.

Never broken any of the tools. I have met a few people who have broken folding knives who have made much of how they were gentle and hardly put any force on the knife, I believed them until I saw how they used other tools. ;) Some people just have less mechanical sympathy than others.

I find the corkscrew most use for helping unpick really tight knots. The eyeglass screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew is invaluable for glasses wearers and has helped more than one stranger. Can opener, bottle opener and screw drivers get used at social gatherings and BBQs. Most memorable was a school trip to North Wales when staff planned a BBQ dinner and after all shops were closed found the kit they brought required assembly with tools. No teachers complained that this 16 year old had a SAK with him!

My mum doesn't have a SAK, but she does have a Spyderco UKPK which goes to town with her in her handbag. She said she got a big kick taking it out in the post office to help an even older gentleman trim the excess string from a parcel he was posting. That and using it in a tea tent at Chelsea Flower Show to open food packaging. People without knives generally manage to make do. They simply do not notice the stuff that passes them by that they cannot do or need to get help doing, or have to take more time finding other tools to do.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Absolutely every design is a compromise, the swiss army knife has smaller tools that have been compromised by lack of size/strength
A carpenters tool belt full of tools is generally quite heavy.
I usually have a toolbelt on at work but its loaded with tools and nail gun nails to the point where I have leather braces. Those full size tools don't half take some hammer though.
Not the kind of setup I'd want on me on a hike.

Just depends on your priorities at the time.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got a cyber tool. Always wanted a Swiss champ or the slightly bigger Swiss champ version but didn't see it and the cyber tool actually had the same number of tools

What do I use it for? It's in my bike repair kit when on the move our touring or commuting. It's also ready to get at when I'm at home and need a tool like pliers or screwdriver and cannot find the toolbox or rather the tools kept in it because something in the house had left them somewhere. Seriously I keep finding missing missing screwdrivers in stationary boxes/pen holders or under a bed. This bike kit is mine and nobody looks in it. So whilst it's not as ideal as the proper tool I find the cyber tool is still very useful and TBH the screwdriver bits are actually better performing than the few screwdrivers that don't go missing (because they're so poor in use). Even the tiny pliers work surprisingly well. They've served well as a second spanner when I couldn't find one or an adjustable.

More recently I've bought what I believe is molegrips. They are very, very useful so the SAK pliers have been retired.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been very satisfied for decades with a SAK Prince model in my pocket.

In this day and time, I found I had to cater to my personal needs.
Here's a Laguiole for cutting cheese and my custom-made Covid Lockdown tool.

ARMY KNIFE Asmall.jpg

Reactions: 0000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't hold your breath but I'll crib that thought for the Mark II.
The Mark I does actually fold up.
Never before in my life have I been buying wine by the case.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"Unfortunately it 'locks' so even though the blade is tiny it's technically illegal."

come on Toddy, you know that's not correct. what about good reason ?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
"Unfortunately it 'locks' so even though the blade is tiny it's technically illegal."

come on Toddy, you know that's not correct. what about good reason ?
Does it really matter if it's legal but the knife still gets confiscated because of a police officer not listening to good reason arguments? It is academic though if the presence of the knife isn't obvious. Can't be done (over) with the knife if it can't be seen. Unlikely to see a police officer walking the streets to catch anyone doing anything these days. Too busy with the priorities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE