Victorinox. Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SAK or Multitool

• SAK

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Multitool

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Neither. Full toolbox only.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Okay, I get the fact that they are very clever with all the tools and can be UK legal carry but I just never really find myself wishing I'd carried my Victorinox Whatsisname ( yes, I have one too ) so it just sits there in the drawer being clever.
I think my main problem with them is the tendency to fold when in use. Also the bigger ones are very bulky in the pocket and to be honest I don't find them very robust either. I have pulled the corkscrews out of a couple and damaged the various blades with relatively gentle pressure.
I can justify carrying a locking tool so I opted for a Gerber Scout which has better tools, more robust construction and doesn't take up much more space than a SAK. In fact I have one in the car and one in my bag pretty much all the time.
As I said at the beginning , I do like the ingenious nature of packing so many functions into a pocket knife but mine never gets carried or used so change my mind SAK fans.

Reactions: Toddy

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I carry multiple knives all day. If I have to nip to the shop or post office, I unclip my leatherman and sheath knife knowing that I still have a Victorinox Solo alox in my pocket. It only has one tool which is the blade, and is super thin and light. I've got a few of them and never damaged one. I have a lot of folders, some of them UK friendly but I always find myself chucking the solo in my pocket. I'm not saying that it's the best thing in the world, but it's cheap, functions flawlessly and saves wear on my more expensive GEC slipjoints that I carry at the weekend. I would never carry a multitool variant over my surge, but as a legal single blade it's perfect for me.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Reactions: plastic-ninja

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I carry multiple knives all day. If I have to nip to the shop or post office, I unclip my leatherman and sheath knife knowing that I still have a Victorinox Solo alox in my pocket. It only has one tool which is the blade, and is super thin and light. I've got a few of them and never damaged one. I have a lot of folders, some of them UK friendly but I always find myself chucking the solo in my pocket. I'm not saying that it's the best thing in the world, but it's cheap, functions flawlessly and saves wear on my more expensive GEC slipjoints that I carry at the weekend. I would never carry a multitool variant over my surge, but as a legal single blade it's perfect for me.

What's the reason you take a knife to the shop or post office?

Reactions: Laurentius

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
What's the reason you take a knife to the shop or post office?
Well I used them as examples but I like to carry a knife on me at all times for all the usual things one uses a knife for. If you carry one everywhere it really is astonishing how often it will get use in a day. Same goes for a torch for me. Especially if you get car trouble.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well I used them as examples but I like to carry a knife on me at all times for all the usual things one uses a knife for. If you carry one everywhere it really is astonishing how often it will get use in a day. Same goes for a torch for me. Especially if you get car trouble.

Cool. I don't carry one currently, I'm thinking about having one at work as I feel like I have daily need for one, don't know what the boss will think though. Probably somehow breaking company policy.

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Cool. I don't carry one currently, I'm thinking about having one at work as I feel like I have daily need for one, don't know what the boss will think though. Probably somehow breaking company policy.
Does company policy supersede law? I'm not sure. It is funny when you start observing, how often you see people trying to open this and that with their keys or bank cards.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
At my work, it's pallets, covered in plastic wrapping and straps, hessian sacks sewn up with string, cable ties, celotape.

Law wise no idea, but I wouldn't want to go against the grain with the current climate.

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
At my work, it's pallets, covered in plastic wrapping and straps, hessian sacks sewn up with string, cable ties, celotape.

Law wise no idea, but I wouldn't want to go against the grain with the current climate.
I've had similar jobs. They provided us with useless safety cutting tools. I just used a folding Stanley box cutter with a lock back. They're pretty inexpensive.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have carried a SAK every day for forty years - and probably used it on most days. I have only ever broken one component and that was the saw on my Champ when I was cutting at am awkward angle so put too much 'bending' on it - Victorinox replaced the sawblade for free.

However, I have to be honest and say the tool I use most are the scissors :)

Edit: different SAKs for different outings; I don't carry my Champ in my suit pocket :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I carry a multi tool, every day and either victorinox swiss tool or leatherman (I have loads in rotation). Just dam handy, but there is something about the standard victorinox that draws you in, and one I reach for when dealing with sheep people.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
To be honest:

I don't need more than a Victorinox Compact.

It has all attached, what's needed and nothing more. So it's pretty light and compact in the pocket.

After my eye glasses and hiking boots it's surely the most used item I own.

Reactions: Nice65 and Billy-o

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I have an Alox Pioneer 3/Harvester in my pocket pretty much all the time. It's got the blades/bits I wanted and none of the ones I didn't(I don't want a corkscrew and a if I need a can opener I'll pack one when I put the can in). It's not too bulky to just stay in my pocket. It is missing scissors but I don't really like SAK scissors so I have a small leatherman with the scissors rather than the pliers that lives in my change pouch

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Alox farmer recently. Although I use a Boker plus XS at work as the one handed opening is pretty useful, and If I pop out to the shops with it in my pocket it's still a UK legal carry.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have a few and use them, but really, it is the Compact that, once I discovered how well it is made, kind of took over. I have to make a conscious decision not to have on me somewhere.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I gave up on the SA knife. It was just so much faff to keep it clean. I know it seemed a brilliant idea to have all those tools at hand, but the more complicated it became the bulkier, heavier, and more awkward it was.

These days I find the tiny spyderco bug every bit as useful.
Unfortunately it 'locks' so even though the blade is tiny it's technically illegal.
Sod's law.

Useful things are knives. Really annoying having to be constantly aware that I have one when I'm out and about now though.

Went to the A&E at Bridgend from the Moot site one year. We stopped and unloaded out tools into the dash of the car, got out and then had second thoughts and had to redd through my bag and his pockets to find the rest to put in the dash too.

Round here the unlamented last MP used the slogan 'carry a knife go to jail'. No tolerance at all.
I mostly just carry pruners when out for a ramble now.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE