Victorinox Outrider_opening the slide-lock scale and a mod

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
today I demounted the scale of my Outrider to add a needle to this knife. I really like the Outrider, but I mess the needle, a tool really usefull, i.e. past week I used it to estract the head of a tick from my skin

well, when opened, the slide-lock mechanism is like this, a grey plastic button, a small steel spring, and the knife itself of course

to assemble it again, first you need to place correctly the spring, like that

than, the plastic button (blade opened). Please note all this work was done to add a needle, so I carved a small space on the scale of the knife for it

Ok, my Outrider is now one piece again, but with the needle addendum

The world could be a sad place without Victorinox :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Alfredo

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Nice work Alfredo! Is that the new Soldier? How do you find the one-handed opening? I'm kinda trying to resist the temptation but I don't think it's working... :)

And how's that sparrow? :angel:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Nice work Alfredo! Is that the new Soldier? How do you find the one-handed opening? I'm kinda trying to resist the temptation but I don't think it's working... :)

And how's that sparrow? :angel:

Tnx! New Soldier: you mean the green one, roght? It's the M4, the GAK (German Army Knife), besides the scales anyway is the same as the new Soldier. Well, I foud it a good knife, the one-handed opening works just great. But, in the 111 mm line, I like more the Outrider, mainly because of the corkscrew and the scissors.

The sparrow Lito decide two weeks ago to be free, one time were walking as usual with him on my shoulder and suddenly he decided to fly far away. It was an awesome valley with really few houses, no cats, a lot of fruits, and a small river, so my feeling (and hope) is that he's great now!

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi Alfredo. I love the mod, and you're right I think a needle is fantastic tool. In my house we do "Secret Santa" every Christmas. the spend limit is £5.00, or you can re-use something you have. I had a victorinox Alpineer knocking around, so I modified it for my friend, who is a gardener. Sacles are oak with whit briwax rubbed in. I took the look off completely (they're a bit unpopular with the law over here) and a made nice leather pouch for it.
Photo0370.jpg

Photo0371.jpg

Photo0373.jpg

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Tnx! New Soldier: you mean the green one, roght? It's the M4, the GAK (German Army Knife)...

Thought so. The imprint on the scales is slightly different.

But, in the 111 mm line, I like more the Outrider, mainly because of the corkscrew...

Naturally. :)

The sparrow Lito decide two weeks ago to be free, one time were walking as usual with him on my shoulder and suddenly he decided to fly far away. ...

That's lovely Alfredo, I'm very happy. Thank you for that little gem of a story. :)

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi Alfredo. I love the mod, and you're right I think a needle is fantastic tool. In my house we do "Secret Santa" every Christmas. the spend limit is £5.00, or you can re-use something you have. I had a victorinox Alpineer knocking around, so I modified it for my friend, who is a gardener. Sacles are oak with whit briwax rubbed in. I took the look off completely (they're a bit unpopular with the law over here) and a made nice leather pouch for it.
Photo0370.jpg

Photo0371.jpg

Photo0373.jpg

Nice work, mate. It sure looks classy now.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Both Mods are really nice, love the pin idea. i have a SAK with a little damage on the plastic, but dont whok where to begin changing it out for wood.. is there a tutorial, and can it be done with almost no tools?

There are whole forums and Websites dedicated to this kind of stuff. Use your favourite search engine to look for "swiss army knife modifications" or something like that. You will need some tools to do some jobs, but a lot can be done with very little. If I had the time I'd buy a Huntsman and replace the corkscrew with a cross-point screwdriver. :)

Some interesting stuff goes on here:

http://www.multitool.org/

(For some definition of the word 'interesting':))

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
If I had the time I'd buy a Huntsman and replace the corkscrew with a cross-point screwdriver. :)

Ged you don't need to do this, just buy the Fieldmaster et voilà

but, the corkscrew is more useful that the Philips screwdriver in that position, imho.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Ged you don't need to do this, just buy the Fieldmaster et voilà

Thanks Alfredo, but I can buy the Huntsman for under fourteen pounds. The only place I've found that actually sells the Fieldmaster charges (sic) £51.74!!! Go figure, as they say. It's idiotic, the only difference is that one little bit of metal.

but, the corkscrew is more useful that the Philips screwdriver in that position, imho.

Knowing your passion for wine I can understand that Alfredo, but I'm afraid I don't really care for it. My wife likes a bit of the rough stuff but she has corkscrews on at least three of her knives, not to mention several dozen others scattered about so we're well equipped in the event that we have to survive on nothing but wine. :)

But I have to pay for the wine by taking computers to pieces and putting them back together again. :(

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Knowing your passion for wine I can understand that Alfredo, but I'm afraid I don't really care for it.

I like a good glass of wine (just one), but I used the corkscrew also to estract plastic pieces, to pick a sort of tent in a tree, to open knots. Anyway, I don't want to divide the forum in two parties, pro-corkscrew and against-corkscrew :)

thanks very much!

didn't know if it was 3 inches or under, i was going to take the lock out so i could use it as an edc. Never actually seen one of the larger sizes so didn't have much of an idea of how big it would be.

yes you need to take a little of the cutting edge as well as remove the lock

here is mine. I replaced the Scales with some from the Liner lock version so has no hole doe the slide lock and ground out the ricasso to shorten the cutting edge also did the same for the saw

Dsc_4263.jpg

yes you need to take a little of the cutting edge as well as remove the lock

here is mine. I replaced the Scales with some from the Liner lock version so has no hole doe the slide lock and ground out the ricasso to shorten the cutting edge also did the same for the saw

Dsc_4263.jpg

nice :) looks good!

although im never too sure on grinding down the ricasso, since the whole blade is still just as long. i usually make sure the whole blade is under 3 inches just to be on the safe side. after all, i'm only 18, and you know what all these youths are like going round stabbing each other and suchlike :bluThinki

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nice work Alfredo, i think the is a good alround knife, but not under our laws, but fygts mod looks good. Not heard of the field master before, that looks to have everything i need, i'll have to check that one out.

Good to hear about the sparrow.

Rob

nice :) looks good!

although im never too sure on grinding down the ricasso, since the whole blade is still just as long. i usually make sure the whole blade is under 3 inches just to be on the safe side. after all, i'm only 18, and you know what all these youths are like going round stabbing each other and suchlike :bluThinki

S139 does not mention blade length in any way shape or form ;)

tho technically the knife may be illegal as the corkscrew is pointy (not been tested in a court yet but i think they are working up to that under the just because the sharply pointed object is attached to an exempt carry item doesn't make that part magically exempt, ie a leather man doesn't make the locking blade EDC because its attached to a pair of pliers)

The pin on the OP post certainly is illegal carry with out good reason but as its still a locking blade version not so big a problem but i guess you need 2 specific reasons to carry it in public :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE