Victorinox 'Bushcrafter' Swiss Army Knife

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No, it doesn't exist. But maybe it should?

SAKs come in many permutations of different tools, with model names that to some extent reflect their intended use (soldier, farmer, huntsman, explorer, etc) Some include an LED light, pen, tweezers, pin, toothpick......

For the bushcraft enthusiast, a folder is handy both as a backup to a fixed blade for fine work, and also (and this applies very much in the UK) as an everyday tool. Often we find ourselves just out for a walk in the woods and you might well choose not to have a fixed blade. I will happily carry my woodlore when also carrying a rucksack of outdoor gear, but I am very reluctant to do so when simply out walking in the woods with the family (unless we're REALLY in the back of beyond).

Threads on BB blades suggest that even a sub 3 inch slipjoint could lead to trouble in certain circumstances, and one member had difficulties with the police for carrying a 'legal' but somewhat tactical looking Spyderco UK penknife. I believe many people regard folding knives with alarm, but SAKs and traditional grandfather-type knives like small stockman patterns seem to be more acceptable.

I've heard Victorinox sales have slumped a bit since 9/11 (at one time you could buy a SAK at the airport, now they confiscate them and they then appear on ebay in lots of 100 at low prices!).

I wondered what tools would be ideal for the bushcrafter in a SAK. I had thought of large blade, small blade, awl, saw, magnifier and the can opener/screwdriver and bottle opener/screwdiver as being the most use? Any thoughts?

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Good question. I've had my SAK for years (no idea what name, but it's got a picture of a Fort Model T or something on it) so I'm getting a good idea as to what's useful and what's not - for me - on a penkife.

Of your suggestions, I've never needed a magnifier, and I always like having the scissors - in fact I'd swap that for the saw if we're limited on size.

Since there's usually room for 2 tools on the bottom of the SAK, you have room for one more (along with the awl). It's not very bushcrafty, but I'd go for the corkscrew...!

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello
i'd like to see something along the lines of the carvin' jack with some dedicated carving tools, especially a gouge or crook blade for spoons and bowls etc. , i suppose there might be a safety issue with non-locking blades though.
I also reckon a multitool with all the basics for leatherwork would be a good idea. :)

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
happy camper said:
hello
i'd like to see something along the lines of the carvin' jack with some dedicated carving tools, especially a gouge or crook blade for spoons and bowls etc. , i suppose there might be a safety issue with non-locking blades though.
I also reckon a multitool with all the basics for leatherwork would be a good idea. :)

Hi
problem with the locking as EDC knife though.

Tutchi
:cool:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have a couple of Victorinox SAK's. One is, I think, the Camper and the other one has far less features. The fully featured ones are a bit bulky for pocket carry and almost mandate a good belt to keep your trousers up. :lmao:
I think that a small and large blade, an awl, a saw, scissors and perhaps a blade similar to a lino cutter or gut hook would do me, along with the tweezers and toothpick.
Most of the other features on my SAKs I hardly if ever use.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I too like the corkscrew although it reduces handle comfort a bit.

I would also have wooden scales - these can be bought as an aftermarket purchase from a web based supplier.

I find the SAK magnifier handy but it is a personal thing.

In the unlikely event of there being a consensus opinion, I could write to Victorinox to suggest it (if there is not already an existing model, that is.)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Consensus? On a forum? Unlikely! ;)

As you say, it's a personal thing. Looking at the Victorinox website, it seems my ideal SAK would be a climber, although I'm not sure what I'd use the hook for.

It's a tricky compromise between features and weight/size. A Swiss Champ would cover most eventualities, except it's so bulky I'd never carry it.

I'm sure somewhere in my family are loads of SAKs lying around - my dad used to bring them back from business trips when I was young. Perhaps there's a camper or climber somewhere, or indeed an obsolete version that fits the bill perfectly - I'd best have a look over Christmas.

Doc, do you have a link for the wooden scales? I've seen it done on here or BB, but not something I'd really considered doing - but could be a nice idea. A Christmas present to myself, maybe?

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Back to the point :rolleyes: has anyone ever thought/ tried to mod that carry hook thingy into something more practical??

I reckon it could be fashioned into a mini spoon gouge with a small cylindrical file and sharpening rod, whadya reckon?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
My SAK's are perfect for what I need them for. My house has several.

My first is the very first pocketknife I ever owned, my Dad gave it to me when I was 6 or 7 years old. It has a large blade, and a combination cap lifter, bottle-opener, slot screwdriver and wire stripper. The cellidor handles have long since fell off, and it resides in my small survival kit.

My second was given to me by my Grandfather, it's the one I use most often. It has both large and small blades, which I have convexed so the knife's edge retention has gone through the roof. It also has a bottle opener and a can opener. It's the absolute perfect knife for what I need. It's also quite slim.

I HAD a Huntsmen, but I didn't like it because it was too heavy. It was stolen.

My father's 50, he still has his original SAK, which he acquired when he was younger than I am. It has the functions of the Camper model, but the shank of the blade is stamped "Elinox" as opposed to "Victorinox." Damn, that knife is old, and it's been a lot of places!

He also was given the Soldier model as a gift from some old friends of his, but I guess it has a lot of sentimental value, so it never leaves the house.

I don't do "bushcraft" per-say, I climb. So my knife does not need to be a fixed blade or have a saw for cutting down trees when I'm up in the alpine. Basically all I need in an outdoor knife is a blade for slicing food, a can-opener once in a while, and a screwdriver to tighten ski bindings. And that's it.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
mark a. said:
Consensus? On a forum? Unlikely! ;)

. A Swiss Champ would cover most eventualities, except it's so bulky I'd never carry it.

If you wear a belt,then a belt pouch would solve the weight problem.
In a pouch you forget the knife's there untill you need it. :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'm kinda partial to the bail hook. It's primary job of lifting pots off the fire suits me just fine. ;)

Suggestion: Why don't a few of you get together and design the knife you would like to see carry the name Bushcrafter or whatever and submit it to Victorinox. I'd buy one, depending on the tools you all choose. Gotta have the bail hook and saw though. :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Perhaps I'd better pay more attention to that hook! Maybe it is useful after all...

I still won't do the Swiss Champ, even with the pouch idea. I don't always wear belts, and I've never been a fan of pouches on belts (same with mobile phones). Plus my SAK is smaller and lighter, which I kinda like the idea of.

O

Oldboyscout

Hi DOC
Your are right. I have 2 Victorinox (One Swiss Champ and a Spartan) with Scales custom handcrafted by the people (Strassburger Knives) in Buffalo Bone and in Dark Hardwood, with my name engraved. I am really happy, with the amazing work, while I never agree to the fact that a so good knife as Victorinox is, cames with a plastic handle, that scratches easy and is so fragile.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I find the Camper just about perfect, (2 blades, bottle and can openers, corkscrew, saw) though I have never been quite able to work out what the "reamer" is for - I guess its used for removing stones from Boy Scouts hooves - and dont need a wire stripper generally. Scissors might be more useful.

But with the ability to cut things, open things, its perfect. I use it round the house alot too (always a good test of a Bushcraft knife).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE