Vest, gilet, waistcoat....review and plea for wisdom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Well, first off many thanks to Wayland who some time ago reviewed a Stormy Kromer waistcoat and jacket. I have a waistcoat and have worn it every day since its arrival about six weeks ago.
Not cheap but a fine garment, warm, windproof, enough pockest to carry all the stuff I need in my dotage like glasses, pens, etc etc yet doesn't look tactical or like a fishing vest. I love this !
Now, the problem is that I have got to like carrying all this stuff in my clothing rather than in a bum bag or just not having it, so when the warmer weather comes, what do I wear ?
Does anyone have any ideas for something similarly low profile that doesnt scream out “prepper survivalist “, not that there is a thing wrong with that but its just not me.
Your thoughts much appreciated, and if you have been hesitating about buying one of the SKs, press that button !
PS My wife likes it too.......bonus !

Reactions: Billy-o

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Cargo trousers/shorts.

British army pcs shirt/jacket. Yeah its camo but theyre pretty casual looking and have big pockets and theyre specifically hot weather shirts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I find expedition style shirts from Rohan even cragghoppers have pockets galore. The cragghoppers one I have because it's cool wearing it over a wicking base t shirt in the heat of summer and the collar folds out twice to provide more neck protection. I've got a longer neck than some such that hats with cowl sections don't cover it all.

However IIRC Rohan do send some shirts with 6 or more pockets. If that's no good then there do a lightweight pocket gilet IIRC.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW the zip pocket on my cragghoppers adventure first version shirt is discrete and takes an os sized map if you had to. However I never manage to roll the sleeves up as neatly as in the website photos. I've also thrown it out when decluttering. Mine was a light grey as they really only had that colour when I got it. Seriously it's cooler wearing that shirt over a base layer t shirt than just the t-shirt on its own, don't know how.

Reactions: bigbear

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
How about... :biggrin:

Traditional flat cap containing mini survival kit with poachers pockets added to a favourite/old jacket complemented by a crook handled tippling cane.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The plain shirt on top of the pocketed vest. I have a Columbia Supplex shirt that I use for the purpose it looks outdoorsy but not military.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've been looking at vests for a while too

will be interested in the ideas that come along

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use Arktis Hot climate shirts. The older version. Loads of pockets, v hard wearing (I’ve been using two for over 10 years). I’m spring cleaning at present and I know I have some in the loft I’ll be looking to pass on.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I use Arktis Hot climate shirts. The older version. Loads of pockets, v hard wearing (I’ve been using two for over 10 years). I’m spring cleaning at present and I know I have some in the loft I’ll be looking to pass on.

for a shirt thats a great option - I'd go for one of those if they came in a short lengh

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That does look good will have to keep an eye out for one on ebay

for vests i've been thinking of either converting a surplus shirt with the right pockets to sleeveless

like this chap

8920527214_a0f541e855_o.jpg

or try and track down a vintage chore vest - the sort they used to wear in the past like this

Warren Miller 2.jpg

Reactions: bigbear

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks, am quite a Rohan fan and the Gilet 1 is a possible, had some of their stuff for years and it just keeps on going, damn shame they stopped doing the breeches and especially the salopettes, one of the best bits of mountain kit ever made.
Don't knock the cragghoppers stuff neither. I got mine maybe 20 years ago but not used it all that time. When I last checked it the shirt was immaculate like it was in straight off the shop hanger! When I got it a couple of walking magazines rated it highly. One was best in test IIRC. Either way it beat of a lot of high end competition including Rohan. Plus if go outdoors sell them and they do price match online or any other way if their sales shops are shut then Google somewhere that sells them cheaply online and you'll get that price with an extra 10% knocked off. I know they do sell a lot of other cragghoppers.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
How about a bdu shirt? Green or khaki doesn't look too military, the sleeves role up and you can wear it open over a t shirt.

Reactions: Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE