very, very new to bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Hi everyone. My husband and i are very new to bushcraft and are looking to find some good forests in which to camp out. We live in the north-west of England, and so far we've camped in a pine forest for a weekend which was cool!!! I've tried to contact the forestry commission about setting up camp-fires whilst we're out but they haven't replied to any of my e-mails. Could anyone recommend anywhere to go and the rules and regs of camping in the forest (setting up fires etc). Would be very grateful for any info. Thanks, Nichola

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
elcome to the site. Delamere is a good place, why not come along to the next meet you both would be more than welcome.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
If i remember correctly, you need permission to light a fire anywhere in the country.

If the forestry commission are not replying, try having a shufftie at local estates and landowners (farmers etc) that have wooded area's as part of their land.

If you show you are responsible outdoor's people and "leave no trace" there shouldn't be a problem, and you may end up with permission to go to all sorts of places.

Of course the problem is getting the foot in the door so to speak.

Welcome to the site by the way, just get stuck in and remember.....

....there is no such thing as a silly question......

....but on here you may get some VERY silly answers:D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Nic,

Welcome to yourself and hubby. You should come to the next NW meet (the next Deli meet may a working meet at the end of the month) and there you will be in very good company.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Nichola,

The Forestry Commission are notorious in my opinion for not getting back to you. Just keep trying and try to get a phone number for the local supervisor and contact him/her by phone. Keep trying.

They appear to relax rules for Scout and cub groups, but aren't to keen on individuals. I would offer to keep an eye on the area and report back any incidents (most FC areas have problems with substance abusers). As for fires - if open fires are a no no, ask about a fire bowl or similar.

Pablo.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Somebody asked where abouts in the north-west we are. We live in Preston. I'll definatly keep on at the forestry commission, and hopefully will see you all at the next meeting. Thanks again, Nichola

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
You can practice bushcraft wherever you are, even in a city park there are always plants and animals you can observe :)

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Hi Anthony, i'm not sure where the NW meets are. I think they are posted regularly on this site, although if i'm wrong I'm sure these guys will be able to tell you. I'm suprised that so many people that live near me are interested in bushcraft. Whenever i mention it to people they pull their faces like they're chewing a wasp or something! I live in Penwortham (south ribble). Thanks again for all the replies to my question. I've checked out Delamere forest and Glyn Y Mul Farm, and am planning to visit them both very soon.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Some of the NW meets are at Delamere Forest (or at least a scout camp on the outskirts) half way between Manchester and Chester.
It was our first time last time and we loved it.
There's also talk of a winter meet at a scout camp just off the M60/M62 junction.
Hopefully see you there soon!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi a friend of mine asked the same question a good few years ago when we wanted to go camping to the east of Lothian and was told point blank its private land and the only people to camp or light fires on any forestry commission land are either employed by or work for the F/C and there was no ifs or buts just a plain NO nice people .:nana: not

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE