Very strange large animal track 'does anyone know what it is?'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Although I've never observed them personally I'd have to agree with the coypu suggestion based on a look through my books.

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
Ok but these prints are showing 4 toes so far as i can see.:rolleyes:
The creature went over the top of the drain , not in the pipe, as there is prints on top.:confused:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ok but these prints are showing 4 toes so far as i can see.:rolleyes:
The creature went over the top of the drain , not in the pipe, as there is prints on top.:confused:

Looks like five toes on the right hind foot to me. The fifth is near your friends thumbnail, where the animal has stepped on a blade of grass.

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
I have actually been nose to nose with a coypu, when I had the bright idea of laying on my belly and sticking my head in a big hole near our lake, to find a guinea-pig looking creature looking straight back at me , Surprisenly he was not frighten or shocked ( I was probably more) so I took the opportunity a study him, 'as stated' he had 5 toes but even though he was a big guy his feet were quite small compered to he's bulky body.
The french eat them you know, turn they into meat spreads.:rolleyes: Not tried it myself , closest i got was skinning a road kill , tanned its soft fur , to put on my hand spun, hand knit long jumper/coat.:D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The french eat them you know, turn they into meat spreads.:rolleyes: Not tried it myself , closest i got was skinning a road kill , tanned its soft fur , to put on my hand spun, hand knit long jumper/coat.:D

The French will eat anything and everything, I know, I was born there ;) My father had a friend who worked for a company making, among other things, pates. All their factories were situated near graveyards....

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Never having heard of a coypu, I looked it up and apparently a coypu and a nutria are the same thing. Probably what it is, although I've never seen one. They do look like beaver tracks, but the webbing is missing. Assuming our beavers are the same as yours?

Forked_Stick

Feb 27, 2008
Earth / USA / New York
Check the tail drag...its not a beaver, not a bird, not a deer, not a racoon...

http://dirttime.ws/Notebook/Nutria.htm

I have read that the French were big farmers of Nutria (and yes a Coypu is the same thing - Myocastor coypus) for their pelts...and food to a lesser extent.

Nutria are not usually that big, but they do get up there if they are not bothered by predators (man being the biggest)

EarthPeace - any chance in a conclusion? can you talk your friend into staking out a pile of carrots or something to get an answer?

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
Mmmm yes i think everyone's right, must be a very fat happy coypu. I'll have to see if we can find a large 'live trap' to put down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE