Very strange large animal track 'does anyone know what it is?'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
A friend came around today saying he had found some strange animal tracks in a ditch near his herb field. After seeing the tracks on camera, it was clear this was something I have never seen. First thought was a wallaby but its unlikely they would walk in a ditch. The photos are taken in France, but its likely the creature may have escaped from somewhere, second thought is a Capybara.
Any great trackers out there, have any idea, or is it a new big foot:rolleyes:

As you can see from the photos this is a big animal , bigger than a badger.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Looking at those prints its a 4 legged animal that doesn't have webbed feet. I'm guessing it probably stands about 20-25cm tall and has a stride of about 30-40cm.

Is there a marking in the mud which could be from a tail (other than the one smudged across the large photo of the footprint)? Do the tracks enter the culvert?

Chris

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
It could be a Beaver or a Nutria (Myocastor coypus). The latter I know is found in France.
I must admit I`ve never seen any of those tracks as the animals aren`t found anywhere near me. But from pictures of animal tracks in books I have it sure looks like a big rodent.

Tor Helge

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I agree with Tor, but would expect a beaver print to be broader in soft ground so more likely Coypu, I have watched coypu in southern France and believe they are widely distributed.

Pothunter.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I imedieately thought beaver as I have seen them a lot in France and did not know coypu were there. Having just done a bit of google image search most photos of beaver track show web if they show claw. Your prints show clear claws and no web so I would agree with coypu.

beaver
IM000186.jpg

coypu
nutriatrack.jpg

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Puts me in mind of the big black rats I used to see near the Barge pub in Grimsby:eek:
If so. . .Its a biggun lol.

Kev

Wow - that brings back memories - I've been in there a time or two myself.. Ideal spring board into Gullies - especially in the early 90's when they had a slightly rockier mix of music...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I thought it looked like multiple, overlapping deer prints, roe or fallow from the size. Did you friend look around for more?

Dave

Forked_Stick

Feb 27, 2008
Earth / USA / New York
I say Nutria...the tail drag in every photo is very narrow (like a big rats tail) if it was a beaver it would be much wider. Nutria can get quite large... up to 9.1kg. (20 pounds) Being semi-aquatic, that ditch and culvert look like prime territory.

For a rodent...they are actually tasty.

The real question is, what is it doing in France?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
How about one of these?
raccoontracks.png

These are raccoon tracks. Now i am not saying that's what your beasty is! It just looks a bit more like it to me, but I am really no expert. Maybe you've got a zoo nearby???

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My bet is it's something like this ...

250px-Jabberwocky.jpg

... :D

Stop this cruelty to the Welsh!
Save our Dragons now!
We also have the odd Coypu - there is a stuffed one in our local pub - killed as "A Giant Rat" with a garden fork!
The tracks sound a bit big for the one in the pub - maybe it is a Dragon/Coypu cross.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not me Guv!
No one saw me ...I was not there...you cant prove anything....:rolleyes:
Look I know I am a legend in my own lunchtime but the Last Dragon in Wales is Legend too!:eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My first thought on seeing the photos, and before reading anything, was Coypu. Definitely a rodent.

Went and had a little look in the Hamlyn Guid - Animals tracks, Trails & Signs and found the following:
Mainly in GB and France
Track hind large (up to 15x8cm), fore small to medium (6x6cm, both very variable. Five toes on both feet, on the fore digital pad 1 very small and 1 and 5 not level...there is no webbing and hand outlin is common. Hind track shows 5 digital pads, 4 small separate interdigitals and 2 partially fused proximal pads. Hand outline common. Complete distal webbing between digital pads 2 and 5 only. Partial register.

Given the muddy ditch it does seem probable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE