Very nice birch ply canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
For me, the best of canoes have to be the birchbark canoes. Can't afford one of course:( The next best things might be those:

phoca_thumb_l_DSC_0013.jpg

These are made of birch ply! Mind you, can't afford one either...arrgh...

These are made in the uk. I found their address in the Watercraft magazine. And I am not on commission, just an admirer of their canoes.

Northern Sounds Birch Canoes.

There is a short video and a nice photo gallery to drool over! I particularly like the darker one.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I met the chap who makes these at a show and they are really beautiful craft. When you see the care and craftsmanship that goes into them you realise why they are so pricey. Very nice though...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
you could make one of those though jojo... im sure thats well within your limits:)

That was what I was going to type.

Ray Mears has a program making one.

The plywood version would be easier to get the materials for. No idea were to get birch bark like that.

Those are realy nice canoes.
But for that amount of money I rather buy a kevlar canoe.

Tor

A car, a land rover, or tickets to Canada. For that sort of money the canoe would have to come with someone to paddle it.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
Here is the site you are thinking of jojo.

http://www.barkcanoe.com/

The shop is here in my home town. I get bark from them to build my tine' boxes.

John also teaches a birch bark canoe building course and supplies all the material. Good chance for you guys to see a beautiful part of the US.

You keep the canoe or sell it to John. One chap sent one home to Switzerland.

Harmony

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Here is the site you are thinking of jojo.

http://www.barkcanoe.com/

The shop is here in my home town. I get bark from them to build my tine' boxes.

John also teaches a birch bark canoe building course and supplies all the material. Good chance for you guys to see a beautiful part of the US.

You keep the canoe or sell it to John. One chap sent one home to Switzerland.

Harmony

For the cost of one of their canoes, you could go, learn how, and come back with the materials to make your own :)

Have a look over a song of the paddle if you have the space, and time. It does not look very hard to make your own plywood one. Lots of free plans etc.

I admit this is where me and bushcraft part ways. I would love one, but would never use it. They are a little to close to art for bashing down a weir. Look really nice in my mansion, come Friday(come on seven numbers!).

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Works of art? Yes. But are they really that fragile? I am not convinced. I have never seen one let alone paddled one! So can only go on what other who have say. This is the link to Erik Simula's Arrowhead's Journey blog, about his 1000 miles journey in a 45lbs 14 foot Birchbark canoe with his dog Kitigan. Can't be that fragile surely?

A few pics from Eric's blog.

3719606489_174e83758a.jpg

3920078041_9a429070ff.jpg

3720422954_b4b23a84f1.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Just wondering - what happens when you get a scratch / gouge and the outer-layer of the ply is penetrated and water gets into the layers of the birch ply. You know what happens to plywood when that happens. Sounds like rot could be a major problem.

If this happens on a stitch n glue plywood panel design then it's easy to fix but these look like they are made differently

Anyway for that money I reckon you could find someone in the US or Canada to make you a real birch bark canoe and ship it over !

NS

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I was quite inspired by the book, Voyageur, written by Robert Twigger.

Inspired, astonished and educated!

The birchbark canoes can withstand wear and damage which would compromise those made of molded plastic, fibreglass, carbon fibre, kevlar or aluminium.

To be honest, this is what astonished me!

51PIHceq50L._SS500_.jpg

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
I was quite inspired by the book, Voyageur, written by Robert Twigger.

Inspired, astonished and educated!

The birchbark canoes can withstand wear and damage which would compromise those made of molded plastic, fibreglass, carbon fibre, kevlar or aluminium.

To be honest, this is what astonished me!

51PIHceq50L._SS500_.jpg

What he said! Great read, as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE