very first sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
After I did my very first axe mask at the weekend I thought I would do my very first knife sheath for the very first knife I have made too....

Its been an interesting learning exercise. I thought I had all the bases covered but several things cropped up that will hold me in better sted the next time.

• I used 5 inch width of material. I expect a more experienced person could use a narrower piece (lets say 4 inches) but it at least left me a margin of error (and to cut a piece for the welt more economically out of the same width of leather.
  • When you set your blade for the first time in the awl handle - take extra care in getting it absolutely straight. Having it in at an angle makes it sooooo much more difficult to get the stitching lined up (in the grooves) on the front/back of the sheath.
  • Waxing awl blade, needles and thread is more difficult with an old, dry piece of wax - keep it stored properly (the bit I got from leprovo was a bit dry...and strangley smelled of tobacco)
  • A short awl is good. Less chance for getting your angles wrong!
  • When creating a groove make sure your edges are nice and smooth i it helps give a smooth line to your groove aswell - as your edge is your guide. Its a toss up weather you do the grooving with a flat piece (easier) or when you have folded it and glued it (allows your to trim and align the edges for better matching of the groove on the front and back and therefore easier to get your awl holes right). Not sure which is better yet.
  • When gluing remember to 'key' the surfaces for a better bond. its easy to forget in the excitment.
  • Careful when handling the sheath when it has just been wetted for moulding - it marks much more easily and these marks are permanent.
  • Don't bother with knots at the end of your stitching just stitch back a couple of holes and the thread will stay jammed in 'dem tight holes for good. Looks much better.
  • Don't bother with a bone burnisher, spit and a biro work fab!
  • Last but not least: take your time! Its easy to make a mistake and hard (and expensive) to undo.

Cut basic dimensions
IMGP6249.jpg

Cut out outline after marking out spine and both sides of blade. Made allowances for welt and belt loop attachment
IMGP6260.jpg

Belt attachment glued then stitched and then sheath folded and glued
IMGP6379.jpg

Edgle of sheath trimmed and chamfered
IMGP6380.jpg

View of tidied and trimmed edge plus a little light sanding
IMGP6385.jpg

Grooved on both sides
IMGP6381.jpg

Grooved on both sides
IMGP6383.jpg

Awled - note the diagonal position of the diamond-shaped holes
IMGP6384.jpg

Finished stitching - using saddle stitch (two needles and one thread doubling up through same hole from opposite directions)
IMGP6386.jpg

Sheath ready for wet moulding (knife lightly oiled and covered in cling film - not too much or this will affect the fit)
IMGP6387.jpg

Views of the finished sheath which has had edges burnished, edge koted and the body carnuba waxed.
IMGP6422.jpg

IMGP6423.jpg

IMGP6424.jpg

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I enjoyed that buddy,just in time as well i,m going to make a sheath for the bushhtool i made ,if it turns out anywhere near yours i,ll be happy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very tidy LBL

I've just finished putting together a knife and I wasn't sure how to start the sheath, very useful thanks.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Out of curiosity, how well did the far side of the awled holes line up in the groove on the reverse side of the sheath?

I'm debating whether to omit the groove on the reverse of the sheath that I'm doing in case the awl holes don't align.

Geoff

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Out of curiosity, how well did the far side of the awled holes line up in the groove on the reverse side of the sheath?

I'm debating whether to omit the groove on the reverse of the sheath that I'm doing in case the awl holes don't align.

Geoff

It took a bit to get a hang of it and a little bit of re-alignment mid 'push' and sometimes I would come out the other side (just so you could feel the very end of the fine awl point) outside the groove - so I would retreat a fraction and try again. When it came through correctly I would use the micro hole left by the tip of the awl as a guide to push back through from the other side). The front and the back look exactly the same now - all nicely in the groove both sides :) I think go for it. Take your time and you will speed up.

One tip I would suggest it to stitch-mark both sides (in the groove) from the same end. This give you something to aim for when you push though so you get evenly spaced stitching on both sides.

back
IMGP6437.jpg

front
IMGP6438.jpg

IMGP6440.jpg

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats very nice,
I especially like the way you haven't faffed around trying to curve the bottom end of it - just used a rectangle of leather, kept it simple and effective with top class workmanship.

Very well done.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE