Very cool old finnish video

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
v cool indeed an obvious lifetime of hard work and skill. I love the way he is so efficient with his carving, shavings that curl beautifully and then are chopped off with a cut in the other direction beautiful

made my day

J*

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Here,in finland,you can order few dvd´s for free,and they all include old traditionalcrafts.In one of those,that particular axe handling film is also included.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Do you have a link to that prkl?:)
PS can I ask, of a Finn please, what are your words for axe? I know "kirves", but are there any others that would be useful in google searches?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is a very cool film though it was put on youtube without permission of the Finish Cultural organisation that first made it freely available here.

http://www.kansatieteellisetfilmit.fi/videot2.htm

If you follow this link instead of the youtube one you will find various other interesting old Finish vids. I have the DVDs and they are excelent though all the films are online here.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Do you have a link to that prkl?:)
PS can I ask, of a Finn please, what are your words for axe? I know "kirves", but are there any others that would be useful in google searches?

Well,it sems that we use only the word Kirves,atleast i dont recall immediately other words.I know that you guys have ax,axe,hatchet,but we dotn.We dont have word for small axe,like you have the "hatchet" and so on..But these could make sense:

Retkikirves = camping axe,usually something you might see as hatchet,but still it can be normal heavy blade but has just shorter handle.

halkaisukirves = splittiing axe

piilukirves (veistokirves / vuolukirves) = axe with blade suitable for shaping,not so much for cutting into pieces.These were used by log house builders in the past.many variants for different requirements but usually these have broad blade in common,but blade profles vary widely,depending on what was it meant for,for accurate or coarse shaping of logs,and so on.

Butchers had their own axes but i have to look out for names of those.

so,i could say that we only add some word,to describe the task that the axe is meant for,with the word kirves itself,like halkaisukirves has wodr "halkaisu" that means Splitting,etc.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Great stuff. Don't you just love the way the axe is supported/cradled by the hand rather than grasped and at a point of balance that lets the weight of the head do the hard work.

Cheers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Absolutely hypnotizing to watch and a great rescource for different carving grips.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well,it sems that we use only the word Kirves,atleast i dont recall immediately other words.I know that you guys have ax,axe,hatchet,but we dotn.We dont have word for small axe,like you have the "hatchet" and so on..But these could make sense:

Retkikirves = camping axe,usually something you might see as hatchet,but still it can be normal heavy blade but has just shorter handle.

halkaisukirves = splittiing axe

piilukirves (veistokirves / vuolukirves) = axe with blade suitable for shaping,not so much for cutting into pieces.These were used by log house builders in the past.many variants for different requirements but usually these have broad blade in common,but blade profles vary widely,depending on what was it meant for,for accurate or coarse shaping of logs,and so on.

Butchers had their own axes but i have to look out for names of those.

so,i could say that we only add some word,to describe the task that the axe is meant for,with the word kirves itself,like halkaisukirves has wodr "halkaisu" that means Splitting,etc.
Thank you for posting that goodjob:You_Rock_

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
What a craftsman and he makes it all look so easy. Wish I could handle a knife like that. Thanks for posting the clipgoodjob

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Come on then, in for a penny, show us some photos of what you did, I'd love to see it.....:)
I didn't take any photos of the process but here is the thread of the finished handle (without linseed oil which it has now) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51528. Not the same model but the technique was similar which was surprisingly fast and easy. Straight grain axe handle material is easy to work with, just don't cut against the grain and you'll be fine.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL I just looked at the thread of your axe and actually posted on it :eek::rolleyes:, great job though, especially the wedging, first rate :). I like an axe handle to be slightly rough with tool marks, I see you left marks on yours, I think it improves the grip when carving. I have a roselli finnish all round axe, which is a fantastic little axe. The thing that lets it down (for me at any rate) is the handle though. Its way too smooth, and I cant get along with its weird upturned rather than down turned shape...My next axe rehandle will be to re do the roselli. The old video has spurred me to do it....:lmao::You_Rock_

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Thanks for that, Mr Dazzler.

And thank you Robin Wood for the Finnish link. (And your bridge is just so beautiful.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE