very basic winter camping?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
whats the very least kit you have managed to get away with in winter conditions? im talking sub zero temps, hard frost/ice/snow.

I've only done a couple of one night winter trips, and got pretty lucky with the weather both times!

cheers

J

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Done -10 and 35mph winds on Scafell Pike with an army issue bivvy bag, elite 4 sleeping bag and aussie hootchie.

It was frozen everywhere for days so the ground was like rock, I had 1mm layer of ice on my hootchie when I got up in the morning.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
issue bivvi bag issue arctic bag, and some spruce bows for bedding but other than that completely out in the open, in norway in early feb, minus 30 to 35 over night, lovely and snug, wearing me trousers round my ankles and my shirt undone with me old style issue thermals on, very comfy,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Without experience and or training camping in the woods you'll get away with a GOOD sleeping bag and bivvy if using a tarp. If camping in exposed areas I would definitely dump the tarp and take a tent capable of the weather you are likely to meet. If you are inexperienced and wild camping in the hills you would be a prize idiot to rely on a tarp, you would be a walking organ donor and would really pee of any rescue teams needed to come and fetch you.

To be honest I'm disappointed with the two replies from experienced members who I never thought would advocate dangerous practise to someone new to winter camping.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
whats the very least kit you have managed to get away with in winter conditions? im talking sub zero temps, hard frost/ice/snow.

I've only done a couple of one night winter trips, and got pretty lucky with the weather both times!

cheers

J

the question was posed and i answered it with pertinent information, I don't see what your issue is with that Richard, Johnnie didn't state "I'm thinking of going camping in these conditions, can you advise me of what i will need to stay alive and safe" he asked what the minimum YOU have used in those conditions,

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
the question was posed and i answered it with pertinent information, I don't see what your issue is with that Richard, Johnnie didn't state "I'm thinking of going camping in these conditions, can you advise me of what i will need to stay alive and safe" he asked what the minimum YOU have used in those conditions,

Have to agree there Mr S, don't think rik_uk3 either read the OP correctly or he was just feelin' a bit grouchy..:lmao: sorry rik, just jestin' :D

Never been out in cold cold temps, other than around -3 a couple of years ago, did fine in my rather poor Gelert doss bag, bivi bag, and A frame shelter. Felt a bit chilly but other than that, was okay. I am of course missing out the obvious silly temps we 'camped out' in during my short spell in the forces, coz 1- it was ages ago, and 2- duzni count as it was proper .. :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got to say I'm with Southey here. I winter camp quite a lot, although not usually too minimally, and only in the UK so far, and it is a great experience, but the minimalist approach should only be taken by those by those who know what they are doing. The thread wasn't asking for 'how to' though.

I'm sure the thread will soon fill up with the usual mix of good tips, safety advice, adventures and enthusiasm that makes this forum so enjoyable.

Have fun, but be aware that if things go wrong in winter, it is all the more serious, so plan (and pack) accordingly

(and note my signature line :p)

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i agree with you here mate myself have many years of experience and have lived outside for very long periods in all enviroments i would recomend a tent for winter hill camping for first timer aswell in fact i would take a light one man tent myself to be honest
Without experience and or training camping in the woods you'll get away with a GOOD sleeping bag and bivvy if using a tarp. If camping in exposed areas I would definitely dump the tarp and take a tent capable of the weather you are likely to meet. If you are inexperienced and wild camping in the hills you would be a prize idiot to rely on a tarp, you would be a walking organ donor and would really pee of any rescue teams needed to come and fetch you.

To be honest I'm disappointed with the two replies from experienced members who I never thought would advocate dangerous practise to someone new to winter camping.
also takeing a dayglo work type vest would be a good idea as they fold up to nothing and are a great way to be spoted if you did need to be rescued from the hills

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Funny to see this thread as I was thinking of making my first winter camping trip minimalist with my kathmandu basha, Rab SZ bivvy and Golite quilt rated to -7C. I have never done a winter before and have really only been doing it in better weatheer for last few years if which this year was tarp year!!

Does that make me irresponsible? No. I do believe that people are not daft we have our own judgement and common sense. We don't want to die so we are likely to have bug out plans and also have a degree of safety built in. I know the area I would go to well. That means conditions in winter as well. I have done a winter baackpack once but backed out after the first days walk. I had fallen into a boggy tarny area hrough 90cm of snow. I got very wet. I dried off as I walked by putting my paramo trousers on over the top. T/his dried the trousers underneath. It worked well.

If you plan it well and have some degree of safety it is amazing what you can do. Perhaps the OP could do it! OThers do all the time.

Always be prepared to get out of there by head torch back to your car. Perhaps find somewhwere abotu 1 mile from your car and test camp first. That way you can be safe. The thing I like about quilts are they allow you to adjust the size of them girth I mean, That means you can fit another bag inside or even just a few layers of clothing. That will uprate your bag if you do get cold. a slpeeping bag cant do that.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stop it!!!! I can't get the picture of Southey wiv his trousers round his ankles outta my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Must have been too much Reindeer moss
scared.gif

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Going to try a winter camp this, but as it will be my first it will be in the back garden so I can test a few things and if it all goes a bit pete tong I wont need SAR to help me out.

Going to start with 1 man hike tent and good sleeping bag and go from there.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In Garden?!!! TArp it man. MAn up and tarp it! ;)

Good idea seriously. I dont have a garden byt could try parents.

Would get dodgy looks from concerned mother though.

Done dafter stuff before so perhaps not.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Made myself a snow cave once, just to see what it was like. No mat, sleeping bag or stove etc but still quite warm in my cold weather clothing.
I wasn't too committed as the car was only a mile or so away.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
DD tarp for £30 at BPL uk. 3m square and good for a cave type pitch. That is best for windy weather so winter style pitch. I can get my 6'5" frame into a kathmandu basha with out hitting any sides. Good and stable my 2.5m square basha. Cost a bit more too. DD tarp is a good first buy. Then you can get their own £30 odd micro tarp when you are more experienced, weighs 148g!!! Good with a bivvy bag over the upper half that is. Good for milder weather but not sure if Id do it with that in winter.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think the OP's question was asking about what kit for a winter trip. Sorry but I take winter trips very very seriously and don't want to see someone new to it going off into the Yorkshire Dales and getting into the ****e.

Not grouchy, just fed up with stupid answers to kit questions, half the time they are either over kill or inadequate ***. Sorry Johnnie, get your tarp and bugger off in the winter, I wish you all the luck in the world.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Going to try a winter camp this, but as it will be my first it will be in the back garden so I can test a few things and if it all goes a bit pete tong I wont need SAR to help me out.

Going to start with 1 man hike tent and good sleeping bag and go from there.

I've got my tent set up in the back garden as we speak. Got a little wood burner and my new sleeping bag to see if my gear can handle the temps at the minute. I staked out a spot in the woods this week but wanted to do a similar test to resnikov, to grow my testicular fortitude, so to speak :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ive done 2 weeks 18" snow 2-4 hours sleep a night and running around Brecon all day and night.... loved it, all i had was army basha bivi bag and standard doss bag......

after week 1 i was in a t/shirt during the day.......

however, if i was on my own id have the same kit and would not be on my own (buddy buddy system) 2 is 1 and 1 is none. you both look after each other, signs of frost bite and the like... id also have 10 red mini flares and 1 red smoke just in case.... the good old mobile if it works and a route plan and scedule of when i should be where left with the wife, friend or family member with destuctions of when to call M/R to come look for me.......

just my say...... hope this helps.

chris..................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE