Vernier caliper case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
A lot of rain here lately, but the workshop is dry. I was using my vernier caliper, and suddenly I realized that this delicate tool deserve a bit more protection than the lousy bag it came in could offer. DIY of course - here's what I came up with:

vernier_caliper_case.jpg

vernier_caliper_case_02.jpg

Thank you for looking.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I will have to crib that as mines just chucked in a drawer, just the job!

it also reminds me I must make the Roman wax tablet I said I will do!

atb

Tom

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Very nice!
Similar to the ones we had ours in at the Apprentice School, except they didn't have a lid, just a brass strap that pivoted across to stop the instrument falling out, and a relief cut to let you get your fingers in to pick them out of the holder.

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And , er hem, just under a year later I've just finished the wax tablet I threatened to make.

image.jpg1_zpshtm1dpjq.jpg

about a inch thick piece of lime split down the middle, cut to the size of my hand with the centres chiseled out to a depth of just under a quarter of a inch, sanded down, cord holes drilled with a Yankee, soak in linseed then once that had dried off filled with pure bees wax.

I may try decorating the the outside and I need to make a thingy for writing and smoothing the wax.

image.jpg2_zpspjn47pnz.jpg

Atb

tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats cool, Tom.

I may try this, -do you think it permissive to use that purple beeswax I have hanging around?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I've got a half sized blank to do one for herself next.

Purple? That would be a bit imperial/ decadent! I've not read of any wax actually surviving in a extant tablet so unless there's some written evidence of it not being used go for it!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ain't it just! I've now got some recovered plywood that's quarter sawn oak veneer on the face so when I next need to make a case I'll use that. I severely doubt it will be as neat the caliper case that started this thread though.

Tengu - wish I'd see this article before I made mine.

http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/waxedtabletstylus.html

3 main things I got wrong.
Woods too thick but I can live with that, in fact to make it robust I'd have made it thick anyway
Wax should be coloured, most commonly with lamp black, that's doable.
Wax is too thick. Not so sure with this one. Some of the surviving Roman tablets look quite deeply cut out and some are quite roughly chiselled out along the bottom so a shallow layer of wax wouldn't be a very smooth surface.

Apologies for the hijack!

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Isnt that a great site?

Dont fuss Tom, these things were not standardised and Im sure the scribes wont worry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE