Ventile Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is £110 too much?

• Total voters
B

brasst

yep a new cybercrafter term!!!! but sheep are sheep no matter how much you fleece them.

fools and their money LOL;) ;) :tapedshut :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Okay, okay. You've made your point. Albeit a little bit personally. But you have made your point.

I use ventile a bit - often in moderate, sometimes heavy rain on Dartmoor. It has served me well - it does have its drawbacks as does laminates. I am sure we all know the pros and cons of each. I have some friends that absolutely swear by the material and have no problem justifying the investment. I count some experienced backwoodsmen and bushcraft/survival instructors amongst them. I also have at least one person I know who heads up a bushcraft school that is quite critical of ventile and would also say that, as a poncho/shelter it is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. So - we all know that the jury is split on the matter.

I am also a long term user of ponchos and find them a very useful bit of kit - as a raincoat, a rucksack cover, a shelter. Whilst high winds and heavy rain sometimes presents problems on the move its around camp that I find ponchos very useful. One of the only drawbacks has been getting too near the fire!

So - maybe call it an overindulgent experiment, naive curosity, inspired idealism or a bunch of bull. But I am sure that we will get good honest feedback from users of the product. I for one feel confident that - used within its limitations - it will serve me well and will last me many, many years - especially around the sparks and heat of the campfire :)

Oh, yes. Thanks for your comments too.

LBL

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I quite fancy one myself but being a bit wary of something brand new I'll wait until the feedback comes in.
Mark I admire you for doing this but I admire you more for your cool and calm responses to some posts.
I'd have been banned by now.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In the interests of fairness, I have been rethinking some of my criticisms. You should also remember that I am based in Scotland, where we typically have 90 to 130 nights of ground frost each year.

For spring/summer use it could be a pretty good deal. When its warm and wet, breathable is great, and a ventile poncho would be very breathable. Also ventile is fairly hardwearing, and when it does wear it is usually at the cuffs of a jacket. Ponchos don't have cuffs.

Ventile is not as quiet as modern peached fabrics, but it is certainly quieter than the pu nylon other ponchos are made from.

For spring summer trips, when you plan to have a fire, and sleep under it, and use it as a waterproof, and want it to be quiet, it may work pretty well. It might also be good for dry cold snow conditions. I'm not sure about it in freezing heavy rain though.

Looking forward to the user reports.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Ok mine turned up today, but as it a birthday pezie and addressed to SWMBO I have not see it, How ever surprised at how light it is :D was expecting it to be heaver.

Will watch for other feedback, as I will not have mine till March 1st :rolleyes:

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Mine arrived today too, not had chance to open yet either! I was also surprised how light it is, not complaining though. Can't wait for tomorrow as I hope to get it used for a walk round the local woods!

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Mine arrived today too, not had chance to open yet either! I was also surprised how light it is, not complaining though. Can't wait for tomorrow as I hope to get it used for a walk round the local woods!

Yes very light, PHOTOS please :D and if you could sleep under it tomorrow night a write up a full review the would be handy.............:rolleyes: ;)

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Well............................... I've opened it and worn it, unfortunately only in the living room as both my girls decided to be ill this weekend!:eek:
However I will say it is a good size, well made and surprisingly light for the amount of material. I can't wait to get it outside especially if this snow keeps up! I won't be sleeping under it any time soon though, too much on at work where I've just changed roles! I'll try to post pics and other details as and when I can.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE