Ventile Jacket

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ummm that link you provided is not a ventile jacket .... its made from "tight woven polyester material has a special proofing agent which sheds rainwater quickly". It is replacing the ventile jacket they used to sell I believe.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hmmm ... well polyester is not breathable, so it might make you sweat buckets, especially when doing alot of physical work. Also not great around fires as it tends to melt if a spark or ember from the fire lands on it.

Ed

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Do you know of anywhere that sells a ventile jacket? I am going to have to pay big bucks i guess!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Add to that I had a nightmare with that company. They don't tell you if they have it in stock and it took months of chasing before I cancelled my order with them.

Lots of lies, lots of broken promises. Beware.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shinken said:
Do you know of anywhere that sells a ventile jacket? I am going to have to pay big bucks i guess!
Shinken,

Bearclaw do one at a fairly reasonable price (about £160 IIRC). Theres a great thread here where topknot made his own for a silly low price! I got mine from SASS who are fantastic but it was a cheap deal on a part roll of Ventile they had. Hmm a good one will cost you about two of your knives Ash!

BTW, SASS do one in cotton Gaberdine for around £100 - so one really nice knife ;)

Red

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
BCUK has a ventile jacket (full jacket, not a head-over smock), it was unveiled at the moot .... but I've not seen anything on the forum about it. Westwinds do some good ventile kit ..... but if you fancy making one yourself, get in touch with neil1 for some tips.

Ed

leon-1

British Red said:
Shinken,

Bearclaw do one at a fairly reasonable price (about £160 IIRC). Theres a great thread here where topknot made his own for a silly low price! I got mine from SASS who are fantastic but it was a cheap deal on a part roll of Ventile they had. Hmm a good one will cost you about two of your knives Ash!

BTW, SASS do one in cotton Gaberdine for around £100 - so one really nice knife ;)

Red

The ones that Bearclaw do are made by West-Winds, there are others made by Snowsled, Bison Bushcraft and Country Innovations, pretty much all will cost a pretty penny.

If you have the time and the facilities to make one yourself then that is the way ahead:)

leon-1

Ed said:
BCUK has a ventile jacket (full jacket, not a head-over smock), it was unveiled at the moot .... but I've not seen anything on the forum about it. Westwinds do some good ventile kit ..... but if you fancy making one yourself, get in touch with neil1 for some tips.

Ed

That is a really sensible post, Neil1 has made a fair few bits in Ventile:)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
That is a really sensible post, Neil1 has made a fair few bits in Ventile
And good kit it is aswell..... I actually asked him where he bought his jacket :eek: .... boy did I feel stupid... I know he makes kit, but it looked shop bought not home made, fantastic job.

Ed

leon-1

Ed said:
And good kit it is aswell..... I actually asked him where he bought his jacket :eek: .... boy did I feel stupid... I know he makes kit, but it looked shop bought not home made, fantastic job.

Ed

Yep the boy is talented, it is quite an easy mistake to make, I thought it the first time I saw that Jacket as well so no problems there Ed.

Unfortunately he does make a habit of it, the previous jacket was also very much a top quality item, then you have the blanket Jerkins and the bergan and the etc etc etc.

On the whole he's rather annoyingly talented:D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i heartily reccomend west-winds,
i have one of their windshirts and it's fantastic.
although not billed as waterproof (it's only single layer) i've worn it in some nasty downpours and it's kept me drier and more comfortable than my goretex ever did.
i got great service from them too. can't praise them highly enough

leon-1

Graham_S said:
i heartily reccomend west-winds,

I can't tell what the service is like now (since they have been taken over by snugpak it can only of improved), but I have a couple of thier jackets, 2 shirts and a pair of trousers and all are pretty good kit (I am happy with them:)) with very good quality.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
leon-1 said:
... I have a couple of thier jackets, 2 shirts and a pair of trousers and all are pretty good kit (I am happy with them:)) with very good quality.

Leon,
are your trousers made of ventile?
Do you recommend ventile for trousers?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I am interested in how good the trousers are too. I have ordered a airedale jacket from them. If it is durable and quiet i will get some trousers too.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
The funny thing is that Klattermusen said ("naked truth"-info, ventile trouser), that
ventile-trousers do not perform as well as ventile jackets.

leon-1

Ogden said:
Leon,
are your trousers made of ventile?
Do you recommend ventile for trousers?

Yes they are, they are single layered trousers with high wear points doubled. Generally they are very good, once ventile softens up it is very comfortable, but they are not the most comfortable thing in the rain:rolleyes:.

Imagine wearing thin cardboard trousers, rather inflexible and damp. On the other hand in dry cold they are very good. I have no real problems with them as I tend to wear overtrouser and poly-cottons when it is wet weather, but summertime they are pretty good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE