Ventile Jacket

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Leon,Ed - me talented - compared to you 2 - I dont think so!
Yeah, make your own - that way you get exactly what you want. Think of all the jackets you have ever owned - think of the features you liked, think what the best cut jacket you ever had was, get a large ceramic bowl mix it up and HEY PRESTO! - your ideal jacket.
It aint quite that easy , but not that difficult either, and it will save you a fortune, so its worth serious thought.
N

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Neil1 said:
Leon,Ed - me talented - compared to you 2 - I dont think so!
Yeah, make your own - that way you get exactly what you want. Think of all the jackets you have ever owned - think of the features you liked, think what the best cut jacket you ever had was, get a large ceramic bowl mix it up and HEY PRESTO! - your ideal jacket.

Thats precisely what Stuart did.... And it became the BCUK Ventile Jacket - Available from this very site! ;) Soon we hope anyway

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bardster said:
Thats precisely what Stuart did.... And it became the BCUK Ventile Jacket - Available from this very site! ;) Soon we hope anyway

Yeah - but I don't think it will cost less than £50 :cool: and mines half double layer :rolleyes:
N

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Neil1 said:
Yeah - but I don't think it will cost less than £50 :cool: and mines half double layer :rolleyes:
N
Hi Neil.......Having seen your jacket, which I was very impressed with, find it amazing that it cost less than £50. How much did it cost you in time though, it must of taken a wee while to do..............

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I have (had) a full double layer anorak. Back when I first joined the forums I posted pics of it. It's sad though, because it's been retired for good. It was about 35 years old when it was given to me and had been worn in the mountain of Afghanistan and Peru numerous times in the early '70s. Part of me can't stand to look at threads like this one because I know I won't be able to afford a Ventile jacker for at least a few more years, or even to buy material and build one. I suppose that's the life of a cash strapped university student. :D

Anyway, it was by far the best outdoor jacket I'd ever used. I used to get stares from people when I'd go skiing in it, or when I wore it around campus for fun. No, it's not waterproof like gore-tex. Yes, it gets heavy and stiff like cardboard when it's wet. (I stood mine up on it's own once) Yes, it takes ages to dry. Yes, after a few hours it starts to soak through the seams. But you know, I didn't care a bit. All I had to do was wear a decent sweater or pile jacket underneath and on the whole I was dryer and much more comfortable than I had ever been before. Not even the best Gore-Tex WPB can do that! And if the stuff's been around since the second world war, I'd say that means something.

Just my two cents,

Adam

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup that about sums it up for me too addyb.
I have a west winds ventile, and think its a great bit of kit. It keeps me pretty comfortable, but as said the seams eventually soak through after a few hours of lashing rain. Wearing a fleece underneath helps a great deal.
I'd still like to get one custom made to my own spec and dimensions, including rather bulky internal pockets ;)
Neils is the best smock I have seen to date, I know I ain't got the skill to make one, but know a good seamstress short of work.
Neil - where did you say you got your ventile from ?
Oooh and I'd also like to make a baker/campfire tent :D

Cheers
Rich

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think it took about five hours total, but it was done over three days and I had two practice runs before hand.
The fabric was seconds grade direct from Talbot Weaving.
Hope this helps.
N

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Just got an Airedale jacket from westwinds, havent tried it in the rain. But WOW it's bloody well made and really confortable. So far it exceeds my expectations, just git to try it out now. Thanks Westwinds so far :You_Rock_

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
DSC00150.jpg

Ventile jacket and trousers from SASS and not as expensive as you might think. I got the same cheap deal that Red did and managed to get the pair for £200. SAS style smock and S95 style trousers. Works really well. Word is, they have some more ventile fabric in stock...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE