Venters Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Usual preamble - did a search on this but didnt find any threads - apologies if I missed one.

Second apology - this involves the E word!

Was doing a bored trawl of E b.... on Wednesday and came across Greg Venters. He was listing a handmade bushcraft knife - yawn! Despite myself, had a shufty, then had a look at some of his other sales. Most of the designs follow the certain well known format - but the photos alone gave the impression these were something a bit special.

Short story - I bid and won one. Arrived Spec Delivery 20 minutes ago. Having run out of hair on my left arm, decided to sit and type this instead. :eek: ( It arrived as sharp as I'll ever manage to get it and with an apparently flat and true grind )

I have a WS Micarta and a mid age AW. First impression is that the Venters knocks spots of WS for balance and 'feel'. To my laymans eye, build quality at least on par with AW - though appreciate more to it than 20 min play will show.
Obvious bias as - a. want to convince made a good purchase and b. prefer the more slender profile knives - my AW is significantly deeper than the WS.

Sheath is well made and allegedly sinew bound. Jury out on the antler disks attached to knife and sheath - to aid extraction.

Will report back once I have used the Venters, but very interested if anyone here - particularly the more knife tech minded - have come across these and other views.

Camera not here so cant take pic at present.

Would finish by saying I am a knife user rather than expert etc and experience is limited to the above mentioned blades and a few of the usual other suspects - Helle Pan, Eggen, Fjalkniven WM1 etc. So nothing in here should be construed as slighting any other knife makers etc. nor anyone elses preferences.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Jan

Its the man himself - Gregory Venters of Banchory Scotland.

Doesnt appear to have a website - just an e bay shop, comes up if you seach Bushcraft Knives or Greg Venter handmade knife.

He seems to run an auction each day or so - always seeming short ones - 24 hours etc. The knives seem to go for about £150 - I probably should have got a couple before I spread the name and put the price up! :confused:

Still fondling and comparing to my others - and still impressed. Hoping to get out after Red hinds next week, so may get chance to give it a good test.

Thought better add - just a first time customer of this guy - no commercial or other links, no ties etc etc.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I've bought a few knives from Gregory, (Scandi-G on British Blades), stunning quality, I would reckon probably the best on the market at the moment. He also makes more traditional stick tang scandi knives with all natural materials e.g. birch bark spacers.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Guys

Thank you for the info.

That Ebay knife was one of the ones that 'swayed me' to bid - like it took a lot of persuasion :D

Had a bit of e mail traffic with Greg- seems very straight up guy. Though if he has time to chat on e mail he cant be a real knife maker ;)

Likely to be next week before I get to try it out properly, will let you know how it goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE