Venison Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks to MartinK9 (Midlands meet back in the late winter) for the inspiration to make this jerky outside over a campfire. I did this in my backwoods (yard) along with practicing other skills. I dedicate this jerky session to the Sergeant Major's Mess and the choicest pieces to Nolightweight. I used some of the venison from one of my November Whitetail harvests. I marinaded the venison overnight in the following:
Equal parts Worchestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce and Red Wine Vinegar
One clove garlic
Black pepper
Minced onion

Here is the venison going on the tripod grill.
DSCN1997.jpg

Good and smokey using all hardwood. In case you might be wondering, those are pieces of onion and garlic on the venison, all silverskin and fat was trimmed from the meat.
DSCN1999.jpg

Low fire but even heat from the coals.
DSCN2001.jpg

Trying to keep it smokey.
DSCN2011.jpg

Here it is after about four hours; almost done.
DSCN2013.jpg

It turned out just great. This is my first batch over a fire (have made lots with the dehydrator), and it was fun.

Thanks for lookin',
Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Done in four hours? I've seen two days quoted before! Is this a quickie version and have you tried with a lesser heat for longer?

I actually left it for just under six hours. As I stated, first time over a fire, wasn't going for the two day version. It came out just right, not brittle and not chewy. :D I reckon I could have done the no heat, air dry method but that just isn't my cup of tea! Besides, with our humidity, it might take a good month.

Gordy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Very nice, that's got my tastebuds going.

I'd just suggest that creating a 'chamber' using some foliage would help the process.
It's not the heat of the fire or the smoke that you want it's the 'dryness', although the smoke does help with flavour. The meat will also be protected in case it rains as the process is quite a long one.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Venison jerky= pack food of the gods.

I'm seriously dribbling looking at it smoking over the fire:)

mmmmmmmmn.......Venison.........

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks Bushwhacker, I'll have to give the chamber a try next session. The smoke for flavor was what I was after, not keen on liquid smoke, though, works so so when done inside on the dehydrator.

Sergeant Major, though a small batch anyway, it won't see it through a day or two. Damn tasty, for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers Cliff, I will have to work on this technique to see it to perfection. :D

Teepee, I learned some things on this go that will help in future sessions.

Gordy

Last edited:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
We used to make it in the smoker overnight. Venison makes good jerky.

In college a friend got a care package from his mom in Idaho. He was opening it up, it was a big box, and pulled out a shoebox. He opened it up, took one glance inside, rolled his eyes, and tossed it aside. I asked him what it was. "My mom's jerky, I hate jerky, you want it?" This guy handed me an entire shoe box full of jerky as if it were rotten potatoes, true story.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Pict, that was the best type of windfall you could have / get! What college? Are you from the part of PA known as "Pennsyltucky"? It has been my good fortune to share the hunting woods with some Pennsylvanians and I count them amongst the best woodsmen I have met.

ATB,
Gordy

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I grew up in rural south east PA but we had a house up in the Blue Mountians just north of Summit Station. My stomping grounds were the mountains along the central section of the AT from the Susquehanna/RT 81 (Saint Anthony's Wilderness) to PA 61 (Pinnacle Rock). I went to college up in Clarks Summit near Scranton.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE