Vegtan leather and Pyrography

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I aquired a whole box of full hides of Kid leather at the weekend from a carboot sale for 5 quid.

Im pleased as punch about that! Anyway, I had wanted to make them into bags and decorate them with my pyrography pen (a tool thats like a soldering iron so you can create a pattern in wood or leather) Unfortunately Wikipedia says burning normal leather releases arsenic and other harmful toxins when burnt with pyrography tools unless they are vegetable tanned. Thats a shame that, is there anyway of knowing they are veg tanned or not? Or are most leathers not veg tan?

If anyone has any veg tan leather, Ill would be happy to do a swap of one of the skins, it really is beautiful soft swuade.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I aquired a whole box of full hides of Kid leather at the weekend from a carboot sale for 5 quid.

Im pleased as punch about that! Anyway, I had wanted to make them into bags and decorate them with my pyrography pen (a tool thats like a soldering iron so you can create a pattern in wood or leather) Unfortunately Wikipedia says burning normal leather releases arsenic and other harmful toxins when burnt with pyrography tools unless they are vegetable tanned. Thats a shame that, is there anyway of knowing they are veg tanned or not? Or are most leathers not veg tan?

If anyone has any veg tan leather, Ill would be happy to do a swap of one of the skins, it really is beautiful soft swuade.

how much veg tan are you looking for?
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would imagine that the amounts of toxic gunk released by pyrography on a bit of leather would be minimal. I would go for it, though in a well ventilated area and a little at a time so you get plenty of fresh air circulating - do not inhale the smoke!and

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
One trick I have seen in the Pyrography books when burning on leather is to have a fan on, pointing away from your work. This draws the smoke away from you and doesn't cool the tip.
My mum always used to come into the kitchen when I was doing pyrography and say "someones got a fire going again tonight!". :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE