Veganism, Vegeterianism, Omnivorism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I just really really like cheese

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
I personally respect honestly like that. In my opinion it's the only moral defence. 'I value my taste buds more important than the wellbeing of animals'. No excuses, just right to the point!

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I personally respect honestly like that. In my opinion it's the only moral defence. 'I value my taste buds more important than the wellbeing of animals'. No excuses, just right to the point!
I am actually trying to eat less meat as I've got into a bit of a meat with every meal mindset, restaurants don't help if I see another goats cheese tart I'll scream.

Reactions: Prophecy

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I am actually trying to eat less meat as I've got into a bit of a meat with every meal mindset, restaurants don't help if I see another goats cheese tart I'll scream.

Yeh I've been there. Old habits die hard.

Did you know that cheese is actually addictive? There's an opiate-like protein in milk and cheese called casomorphin which nature has designed for calves to enjoy nursing and to keep coming back for more milk, to grow up big and strong.

It affects humans the same way.

Really interesting article below:

https://yumuniverse.com/addiction-to-cheese-is-real-thanks-to-casomorphins/

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Yeh I've been there. Old habits die hard.

Did you know that cheese is actually addictive? There's an opiate-like protein in milk and cheese called casomorphin which nature has designed for calves to enjoy nursing and to keep coming back for more milk, to grow up big and strong.

It affects humans the same way.

Really interesting article below:

https://yumuniverse.com/addiction-to-cheese-is-real-thanks-to-casomorphins/
I've no doubt that anything you do repetitively gets addictive, garlics another one that I can't live without, oh and salt.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I've no doubt that anything you do repetitively gets addictive, garlics another one that I can't live without, oh and salt.

Well yes in a purely habitual sense definitely, but dairy is actually *chemically* addictive. So much so that food manufacturers use casein in non-dairy products in an attempt to keep the consumer buying.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
What?! Why wouldn't vegan mothers breastfeed their children? What's that got to do with veganism?!
The way you answered that, simply proved how fanatical and negative you are, I simply asked a question, why you took umbrage at this puzzles me,
But I have lost interest in your ravings, stay well and eat well

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
The way you answered that, simply proved how fanatical and negative you are, I simply asked a question, why you took umbrage at this puzzles me,
But I have lost interest in your ravings, stay well and eat well
How else am I supposed to convey my flabbergast? Perhaps I should have used an emoticon.

Let me try again without the negativity and more civility.

Humans breastfeeding other humans doesn't relate to the discussion of animal wellbeing, because animal wellbeing only concerns non-human animals (if you class humans as animals in the first place).

Reactions: JohnC

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Dunno quite what to make of this invention. When I was vegetarian I never really understood the veggie sausage and faking bacon thing, though not so much that I didn't assemble the closest thing to a Sunday fry up occasionally. But this is weird.

Vegan burger that 'bleeds' arrives in UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...moving-mountains-dalston-london-a8177001.html

I think making vegan things look like meat products kind of bridges the gap for people so that it doesn't look all that different from what's normal to meat eaters. Certainly makes it easier for meat eaters go vegan in the sense that they can swap a meat burger for a soy burger or whatever. As for something that bleeds, I suppose if that helps someone eat less animal flesh then go for it?

What about the whole lab meat thing. They say that in the not so distant future lab meat will be huge as it's sustainable. I can't imagine eating a burger that is actually meat but not actually cut from an animal at the same time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would encourage anyone to watch a UK animal agricultural industry documentary called The Land of Hope and Glory which contains footage of over 100 of our largest meat farms in the UK. This is where our meat comes from.

SOME of your meat comes from there. Much more is imported. It should be noted that most meat (and indeed all food) consumed today in the industrialized world) isn't bought at a grocery store; it's bought ready to eat (McDonald's buys more than half of all our beef production) Do you really have any idea where they buy it? Until a few years ago Australia was the number on supplier.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good answer. I tend to agree.

But here's the thing, no matter what we've evolved to do, what does it matter? It's known as the tradition fallacy.

Does tradition and habit have any bearing on ethics?......

What does it matter? Well the whole point in posting it was to counter earlier assertions that we aren't evolved to eat meat: We are. Agreed, ethics have nothing to do with evolution. Evolution is a physical science whereas ethics are either an artificial social construct or a religious dogma. My religion allows me to eat meat and my social teaching (culture) vigorously encourages it.

Reactions: Robson Valley
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
We are all animals they feel as we feel, nature makes pray and predator alike, I know what nature made me, I had a youth where you would get by on what you could find, forage, fish or scrump, hunger is a great incentive, and every time I took/take of life I am mournful that I had and have too, but grateful of the flesh, I know that we don't have to as we are now, and how it comes to us is not always good, but for me there is something primal about flesh and the wish for it and its my will to give in to that.
We all live by burden and choose how much that is, and to what and give an share much as we can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Good question and I do not have an answer, strangely a lot of Vegans have a cat (myself included).
Cats have to eat meat to be healthy. So it doesn't matter who opens the packet of cat food and gives it to the cat. It has to be done anyway. Plus the cat itself is an animal and is being provided for and looked after. It's alternatives might not have been so good.

Reactions: snappingturtle
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
My sister and most of her household are vegan or veggi and they have cats, she never presses her ideals on anything else. My question is why would you not have a cat? there delightful, my own cat is not much into meat she just likes crunchy's but she's odd anyhow in having six toes and thumbs.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
My sister and most of her household are vegan or veggi and they have cats, she never presses her ideals on anything else. My question is why would you not have a cat? there delightful, my own cat is not much into meat she just likes crunchy's but she's odd anyhow in having six toes and thumbs.
Aye the kibble contains meat. Yeh I love cats. If I had some land I'd get one, because I'd always be living in fear of nearby traffic hitting it.

Another thing to consider about cats is the amount of birds and small animals they kill, but I guess you could always just get a bell for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE