Various Philippine Blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 24, 2011
South East Asia
Here are a couple of authentic local blades Ive had over the years"
DahongPalay (Rice Leaf)
DSCF1157.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

This design is mainly found in Luzon Island, generally southern Luzon.

IMG_0063.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

DSCF1156.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Looking almost like a sax, this is a very common design.
Preferred due to the durable tip and long straight edge used for making things from bamboo.
Not really sure of the name as "bolo" is really a generic term over here meaning "long bladed knife".

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

This one is more of a chopper-extremely heavy at 1/4inch thick, tapering to a wide tip at 1/8 inch.
That thin and wide portion gives it a lot of weight forward and very good edge geometry.
The blade is less wide near the handle giving a thicker more convex edge.
Handle is mostly carabao (water buffalo) horn, and are usually too short.

DSCF1192.jpg

Here is the local version of the Mora-a socket bladed knife wrapped in rattan.
They are made from leaf springs or coil springs and are tempered harder than bolos so have a good edge.

DSCF1237.jpg

The second blade from the left is a socket knife I carved a wooden sheath for.
First blade from left is an Old Hickory pig sticker with a carved wood sheath, the socket knife, a Nessmuk type double bit axe, a locally forged nessmuk, and a locally forged Hudson Bay.
I prefer old traditional designs that actually work, not flashy and mostly useless "tactical" designs.
Being a country of 7100 islands and various dialects and ethnic groups means there are so many different designs.
Enjoy the view guys!

Aug 24, 2011
South East Asia
The smith told me its so you have a longer edge to work the bamboo.
They prefer straight so its easier to sharpen.
I understand why they have a wharncliffe type blade-mainly because a rounded tip would glance off bamboo's rounded cross section.
Sax type blades bite deep into bamboo, making it safer for use on it.
When I said "work bamboo" its for making bamboo furniture in a furniture shop, not necessarily for field use.
Hope that helped bro.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE