Varasteleka pukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

Recently got my hands on a varustelka (I can never spell it) pukko, the short one as found here
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-stainless-jaakaripuukko-110-w-leather-sheath/51420

Just wanted to say this is a top quality knife! Really no nonsense. Feels as solid as some of my full tangs, leather sheath is very nice. From battoning to fine feather sticks, no problem!
It's not too pricey either so I highly reccomend!

Has anyone else got one and tried it?

No affiliation just a satisfied customer!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Puukko means knife in finnish I believe. The design of the blade is the classican Scandinavian design as used by several knife makers. There is no specific knife design calked the "puukko"!

This knife seems to be wellmade, strong. But is it worth twice or three times the price of an eqvivalent Mora?

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Puukko means knife in finnish I believe. The design of the blade is the classican Scandinavian design as used by several knife makers. There is no specific knife design calked the "puukko"!

This knife seems to be wellmade, strong. But is it worth twice or three times the price of an eqvivalent Mora?

Good point, i reckon having a reasonable leather sheath must be worth £20 though, which puts it pretty close to the 'bushcraft' series in price.

Tommy, how is the sheath for fit, does it retain the knife well?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
It looks like a full tang like the skrama.
Actually it also says it's a full tang in the description from the designer...

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have one too, see my comments on the 'Skrama' thread. Very good value for money in my opinion. Good steel, good edge retention, very effective sheath.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've just got in to find a Parcelforce ticket in the letterbox, so mine will be picked up tomorrow.

Yes, they are full tang.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I got my Skrama today and it is a beast!
I opted for the black leather sheath version and it is really nice.

I am sorely tempted by the little puukko in carbon steel.
I think I might have to juggle some finances around and see what can be done.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm sure most of you will have read the full tang Mora thread that's on here. It would be good if we tried to do some camparison tests. I'm fairly convinced that I'm going to find the Puukko more characterful that the tool-like Moras.

I think a knife should give the user some pleasure as well as being a tool. I tend not to get much personality from Moras, despite them being ridiculously superb in every aspect.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
WWSD (what would stelio do)

Having spent the afternoon with a huge frigging grin from playing with his new Skrama, (I love it so much, it is so much fun) he ordered the puukko.
It will be baked beans for the forseeable though, also no more kit till Christmas.
:(

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Oh I thought the tang was tapered to the back. Not stick tang but not full tang.
The leather sheath is fantastic, I tried to pull the knife out without unbuttoning and it wouldn't budge!
You can get the knife with a plastic sheath for 20 quid so it's in the mora companion range!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Oh I thought the tang was tapered to the back. Not stick tang but not full tang.

Yeah, that still counts as full tang mate. The 'full' refers to length rather than width....so if that ring on the back is the same piece of steel as the blade then it is indeed 'full'

Didn't know you could buy them with just a sheath insert, very good value.....notice their is a blade only option on the skrama too

Another note on these knives, i think the description on the website deserves a shout out for its plain speech and lack of modern PC'ism :cool:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I have never understood the thing with full tang (which to me, refers to the outline/shape of the whole knife)....I find them a a bit clumsy, to be honest.
I have yet to break any knife of any sort, which to me suggests that stick tang are sturdy enough....but I often bring an axe for the heavy lifting. YMMV.

That said, the Puukko looks nice enough, I guess. The Skrama on the other hand. Want one!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you look at your average cloned bushy, you look at a handle scale and metal sandwich. This is less popular in very cold countries, many Scandinavian knives are stick tang (rats tail of steel buried in wood), or partial tang (like the Moras). The Varusteleka is full tang, but the rubber handle covers the steel as it does with the full tang Mora.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The varustelka knife is an outstanding knife I got it around the same time as I got my Falkniven F1 Pro and I have done a lot of side by side testing with both knives.

And I am afraid to say that my F1 is often left behind in my back up kit and this finds it's way in to my main use kit. It slices and cuts beautifully. Cuts excellently and batons pretty well as well. It is very comfortable in my hand (I am a med/small glove) the rubberised grip is great in wet conditions and the patina that comes with the knife is easy to add to for protecting the blade. It keeps a very good edge which I have only need to lightly sharpen and strop since I have had it (from last Novemeber) and I have most definitely put it through it paces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE