Van options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looking to replace an mpv with a small/medium van. Size wise it needs to be between Berlingo and vivaro size. I'm thinking I've seen smaller Ford vans, perhaps custom or connect or even tourneo connect I think.

Basically it's kind of a half conversion. We want 2 rows of seating and we will possibly put a revolving/captains seat base in to create a social seating area. Probably we'd put a folding table in too. No sleeping area or cupboards just a large space behind (with a bulkhead).

The use is a day van I suppose. Just a more comfortable place to sit in before or after our main activity. The van is to allow things like bikes to be carried, family camping equipment, etc.

Does anyone know about vans? What would be a good van to get? I'm thinking small enough to be ok to drive day to day. Car like I.think is the phrase. Can't afford vw prices. The Vivaro/trafic are a little too big, Mazda bongos we don't like and I'm stuck for ideas of any other similar van.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know there are commercial conversions for this sort of thing. I also realize that you want to do your own. That said you might have a look at some commercial sites just to get an idea of what others have done?

In any case please post pix when you get started; I like the way you're thinking.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I use a ford tourneo connect as a car/van - I think it is a weeny bit bigger than the berlingo. The back seats are designed for easy removal and re-fitting, and it is just on 6 feet long inside the back with the seats out. Very comfortable to drive on long journeys, I likes it a lot :)
They make a 'grand' connect too with and extra row of seats, which is about 8 feet in the back, but the seats fold into the floor so the floor panel is not as sturdy as in my version, as you are stood on the backs of the seats - they are strong, but in mine it is carpet then steel plate body shell.
I wouldn't think I could do a rotating front seat though, not enough room for that.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wishful thinking

15078686_1943067315920470_8572007029256401329_n.jpg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just seen my ideal van. Toyota Proace Verso or equivalent Citroen Space Tourer.

[URL="http://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/citroen-range/citroen-spacetourer/gallery"[/URL]

[URL="https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/all-new-proace-verso/index.json"[/URL]

Both the same thing repackaged from Citroen c4 apparently. The Toyota has a trim level that includes captains seats. They all have fold away tables apparently. Just need £28k for the base model (without captain seats) or no doubt a lot more for captain seats.

These show exactly tyre sort of thing we want. Take out the rear row of seats to leave it a 5 seater with huge boot space. Reckon it'll take bikes and kit. Then you'll have a really nice sitting space with huge kit space compared to normal cars.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Neither of your links are connecting to anything, messages about moved or doesn't exist for Citroen and technical issues for Toyota..............

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Neither of your links are connecting to anything, messages about moved or doesn't exist for Citroen and technical issues for Toyota..............
I noticed that the links didn't work properly on preview. it showed the link with the URL bit but with the link underlined like a normal link.I posted because the link in preview worked.

If you are interested Google will give you good images of both cars. Seriously nice looking vehicle.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've had a Toyota Hiace (05 model long wheelbase) for a bit over a year.

Slightly narrower than a Transit but longer in the back.
They do a short wheelbase version (mines the 300 and the short wheelbase is the 280*) and both will set off on tickover and pull well enough for me.
Big (ish) lazy engine that doesn''t have to rev its backside off to make progress.
Reliable, fast enough for me but doesn't sup too much juice unless I floor it everywhere.
I'd buy another just the same if I crashed it.

*"280 can be loaded to 2800 kilos gross and the 300 can be loaded to 3000 kilos gross weight.

Brynglas

I'm considering doing exactly the some think sometime later this year. I've been looking at the Transit Connect and Custom alrhough I do like the Vito. One van that I've looked at this week was the Nissan NV200 which looks a great size and share for my needs.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Isn't the Nissan similar to vivaro or trafic? Made in same factory? Must admit the vivaro/trafic look good vans. You can easily pick up conversion kit for them. Things like windows, captain seat kits even double bench captain seat kits which turn the front bench seat into a swiveling seat.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I'd go with a transit, plenty of spares, cheap and have a large following. My dad had a ex-rac that shoulds exactly like what it it's you after.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Isn't the Nissan similar to vivaro or trafic? Made in same factory? Must admit the vivaro/trafic look good vans. You can easily pick up conversion kit for them. Things like windows, captain seat kits even double bench captain seat kits which turn the front bench seat into a swiveling seat.

1.9 Vivaros seem to suffer from self destructing gearboxes at about 80000 miles. Think its a car based gearbox and not really upto the extra weight they have to pull in a van.

Don't buy one thats got a low whine coming from the gearbox.

Brynglas

1.9 Vivaros seem to suffer from self destructing gearboxes at about 80000 miles. Think its a car based gearbox and not really upto the extra weight they have to pull in a van.

Don't buy one thats got a low whine coming from the gearbox.
Not sure about the design and manufacture of the NV200, they're a different shape and size to the vivaro shape. For me, I'm ideally looking for a van that's Big enough to accomodate my cargo bike, a Surly Big Dummy which is 2 metres long, take a canoe or sea kayak on the roof and give me some space to sleep in on the occasional overnight. Additionally, as I travel up to Scotland and down to West Wales several time a year it would need sufficient powder to come with those journeys.

So far, I'm looking at models such as VW Caddy van or Ford Transit Connect types, The problem is that there's to much choice!

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE