Van conversions - anyone done one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm curious to know if anyone's done their own van conversion? It seems an interesting project that someone on this forum might have attempted.

We're wondering if a campervan or caravan might suit it's. We're keen campers using the car and various sizes of family tent. The packing and repacking of the car to move on made us think a van to carry everything without car roof boxes and bikes on the back would be easier, that lead to campervans and caravans, but they're so expensive unless you get an old one. The idea for buying a normal van then converting it ourselves has gotten into my other half's mind and won't come loose.

Have you done a simple panel van conversion into a full on campervan or even a simple van with a mattress? Was it hard, expensive, time consuming, fun, etc? Would it be within most sensible people's abilities? We've got very useful family members to call on as back up including someone with a very practical/engineering mind and another a mechanic in a past life. How long in man hours would you expect you took if you ever added it up?

Any photos would be interesting or a link to anything relevant would be helpful too.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not exactly but I currently own a panel van and previously owned a minibus (both Smilie face Transits) and would far prefer to convert a minibus thats already got windows and headlining in than convert a panelvan.
Plus panelvans often have lower ratio diffs so are a bit revvy on the motorways.

One thing though, I do love having three seats up front, means I get to spend more time with my grand daughter sitting up front with me and my wife. Oh, and I would never ever put a bog in one, I'll either camp on a site, go to the closest public conveniences, service stations or take a countrydump, not sharing small spaces with a turd.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I did a conversion on my series 3 Landrover, nothing too elaborate or complex in keeping with the spirit of Landrover. There used to be a forum for self build motor caravanners, full of useful advice and information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have converted my VW T4. Stripped the lining and the floor out. Removed the bulkhead and added new insulation and ply. Carpeted and new electrics with a rock and roll bed. Full respray and changed the windows. I havent added extra storage, fridge and cooker etc as the space for my bushcraft equipment and bows staves i need to carry. The only extended camping I do near the van is at the Bushmoot. Im normally teaching in the woods with a fire for cooking. Although I was a little envious of the gas fridges dotted around the moot.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did simple transformations of a Transit, a Pug Boxer and a Pug Expert.
No bodywork or plumbing or electric changes but the interiors were insulated with closed cell foam then boxed out with 4mm ply with carpet attached on the outside. This was then covered in fabric to hide multiple carpet patterns. Over the wheel arches I built storage bins that, in the Boxer and Transit, supported a bed (bed settee size to fit a matress I had) that folded in the middle to allow access to the bins and had central support legs.A bulkhead and removable curtain to separate the driving compartment from the back plus a fold down table forward of the bed concluded the fittings.
When not in use as a camper the bed simply lifted out.
I used an oven and lighting that ran off 12v batteries.
No pics available of the first 2 vans
In the Expert, the storage bins supported a removable storage shelf/table and a camp bed just fitted down one side of the van body.
Son of Kammo Kampa 1.jpg

I now run a Berlingo which will take a camp bed - but I have yet to do any fitting out

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Just be careful of insurance. We're in the process of converting a Nissan Primastar ( basically a Nissan Trafic) and adding 2 windows to the rear door changes the insurance. We've had to get it insured as a 'day Van'. Getting a rock and roll bed fitted in a week or so and an elevating roof.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
297d1cbd70acba6306616a4ffdad3a7b.jpg

Once made a start on a transit minibus but never got round to finishing it

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've got a transit mk6 just recently for the very same thing! More of a day van than camper but my one word of advice is check out the best van mechanically you can buy. After all, if the engine or parts there of are ropey then what a waste of time, effort and money. I've found transits (such a choice of roof heights) to be fairly good for a project as parts are dirt cheap. £14 for a new sill, (you couldn't make one for that out of pressed steel!) and there are so many conversions then plans are easy to find. Living in Cornwall, there is such a huge following for transporters but the price is ramped so high on them because of popularity. Although the VW and Audi engines do have longevity.
If you are serious about it, remember to declare it to DVLA to change your vehicle use and you're insurance should drop in respect.
Bought mine about 2 months ago and due to work, haven't done anything apart from measurements and ideas on scrap paper at work!!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
If you decide to go ahead and convert a van or minibus, I have a load of stuff that I am planning on selling on Evilbay shortly. I have brand new roof vents, electric control panel, mains transformer, consumer unit, water heater, two sets of taps(hot and cold). There is probably more once I look it all out. My caravan rebuild was broken into by a tramp and wrecked. Lots of new parts already fitted, so I stripped it out then scrapped the caravan. Just a thought. PM me if interested.

Don

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I got a sound wee caravan for £25 - it's not CRAMPED compared to any van conversion + GREAT when you arrive in the rain + van not smelly + no wet tent to dry + up out of wet & away from bugs, midges, mosquitos - esp cheap after summer hols + sometimes FREE on Freegle/Freecycle sites.
MPG is fine out of town + you can park the caravan & drive a normal car/van when you're not camping.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I'm currently doing this to my van (k reg transit). So far I've insulated and ply lined the sides with pine cladding on the roof. I've made a bed widthways at the back with a cut to size memory foam mattress. I've ran wires and bought the led lights to go in the ceiling, got a two hob gas stove at home I'm just on the lookout for an antique cupboard in the right size to mount the hobs on and the bottle underneath. Curtains all made up, Icelandic sheepskin rug for the floor... She's getting there but I plan on finishing the rest off when I get home from Norway in two weeks :)

maybe be ill look at solar power in the future...

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've been living part-time in a SWB medium roof Transit for the last 2 years (200 nights per year). I fitted a proper matress along the length of the van as I don't fit in sideways. I have a 2Kw Webasto heater for winter use and numerous cooling fans for the summer. I have fitted 2 rooflights, 500Ah of leisure batteries in 2 seperate banks, 200W solar panels with a twin output charger, 2 air vents, a sound system, lino flooring, carpet on the walls and roof and LED lighting. If I was to do this again I'd use thicker insulation and thicker (12mm) ply lining. The most important addition to any camper conversion is the numerous monoxide and fire alarms that I've fitted at both ends of the van.

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
I converted a bus into a motohome and lived in it for six years. It is a lot of work, I did the whole oak interior, big battery capacity, inverted and converted electricity, wood burning cook stove, plumbing, gas cooking + heat + light, large awning, big bed, it was a lot.

I did like it, but it was really bad about off road - that was my mistake. I should have converted some tough thing like a Military truck.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have looked into this as I have a caddy maxi but it's just to small to be comfortable, transporters seem to be the van of choice, eBay has ready made cabinet units that slide right in with sinks fridges etc, well worth looking into!

Toyota Hiace, its like a cheaper more reliable version of a Transporter;)
No dual mass flywheel to destroy the gearbox at about 100,000 miles on the pre 07 ones y'see.
Could do with a higher roof but so could most Transporters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE