Van conversions - anyone done one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've decided not to do a full van conversion but are looking into something more practical than a simple car. You see we camp a lot and take a lot of gear. It's like a precision 3D jigsaw fitting everything in, including our outdoors kit. One mistake in remembering the way it goes together and you're in trouble. Any gap in the car boot gets filled. It's like using an expanding foam gun but the foam consists of squishy pieces of kit.

So we need something, not sure what. I'm thinking a smaller transit type van perhaps a Vauxhall Vivaro. Then kit out with a pull out kitchen unit and swap the front seats for swiveling captain's seats. I know somewhere that sells swiveling plates you bolt to the floor then the original seat bolts to that. Add a removable table and you've got an internal sitting/eating spot. We're still going to camp of course.

Other ideas is to put a simple stove unit, if they exist, on a pull out drawer mechanism at the back of a van type car. It's not to make a campervan as such just a kitchen with better capacity. Imagine no kitchen furniture needed since it's efficiently built in. No porch extension needed for cooking in bad weather.

Anyone got ideas?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Current thinking is a Berlingo for space but I'd prefer something with an engine like or current VAG 2litre. We've got to.get somewhere to explore. We're never going.to just potter. Need a bit of power for pulling onto motorways or overtaking but diesel torque for steep hills when loaded. Later Berlingo cars/vans tend to have 1.5 diesels I think for economy.

We need a car like feel since it'll be our only vehicle. We just need space and like the idea of adding done extra functionality in the form of a built in.stove unit plus storage. Halfway to a campercar perhaps. Any ideas?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Taxi anyone?

Interesting though. Got me looking at Citroen/Peugeot versions partner or dispatch. Vans kitted out with 3 rows of seats like a small minibus then stick the mpv label on it for fashion. Opposite approach to Vauxhall with their 7 seat Zafira mpv. They're a car with a third row of seats but still looks like a car. Zafira mpv cars are really common, these minibus style mpv vans are not as common. Fashion is for MPVs but I think people want them to at least look car like these days. Even Renault espace became car like. The c4 grand Picasso mpv has also gone more car like.

I guess there's nothing out there I really like and meets what I'm looking for. So it'll be compromise. Suck it and see with a van type mpv or put up with a big car.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have a 63 plate vivaro, & that drives well, good power etc, nice van. Had a friend who used a swb transit, with 2 captain style chairs in the rear for his girls, & the space behind that was for camping stuff etc, that worked well for them, he could get a 12ft inflatable boat, 20hp engine & collapsible trailer in the space.
Not done it in the vivaro, but the previous van(Toyota) I used for camping(solo) had a camp bed table & chair in it, all foldable stuff.

Rob

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ford Galaxy/VW Sharans have pretty clever folding and removable seats, plus if you take all the back seats out the load area is flat.
If ypou fold them forwards the seat backs can be used as tables and even have cupholders.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Far better in my opinion, I regretted selling mine, & the new one's are just re-badged citreons.

Rob

Mines an 05, Think the Citroen sameyness ones are 07 and later?

Only had a it a few months but one of my brothers has one (well his is the SWB version) and one of my ex girlfriends has one also and they seem pretty good so far.
Nothing posh as far as styling is concerned, they just work.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've got a Hiace, had it about 6 months now, pondering on what to do with the inside. I want the flexibility of having a load of space when I need it and to be able to sleep in if I want. At the moment I have rear two seats on Unwin rails so I've been thinking along the Rock and Roll bed line to replace them so it could be removed. I do have another rear seat but that's been taken out and I did start with the sound deadening (self adhesive flashing) and insulation (foil bubble type and kingspan).
I have an Engel fridge that I can put in and out as needed. Not fitted yet but I've a gas oven out of a caravan and a hob that I got locally s/hand, I might make up a pod to hold them which can be put in and out as required. I was lucky enough to get a brand new Outdoor Revolutions drive-away awning at a boot sale for £60 last year :cool:

Got to admit I do love Toyotas, I was very sorry to part with my Landcruiser, one saying is 'nobody got rich fixing Toyota engines'.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mines an 05, Think the Citroen sameyness ones are 07 and later?

Only had a it a few months but one of my brothers has one (well his is the SWB version) and one of my ex girlfriends has one also and they seem pretty good so far.
Nothing posh as far as styling is concerned, they just work.

Got mine new it was a 55 plate, parted with it in may 2014 when I got the vivaro, it was the end of an era, & was missed by a few friends(some fun nights out) & my son, who said he would of brought it off me had he known it was going.
The vivaro drives better, tows better, has a wider loading bay, though it is shorter, in that it won't take an 8x4 sheet of wood, but it is more comfy, though I feel like a traitor saying this.

Rob

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"I want the flexibility of having a load of space when I need it and to be able to sleep in if I want."
2 high-level side shelves running front to back, one side doubled so it can fold out & fill the central space, to make a high double bed - if van has a sliding side door additional shelf arrangement required on that side.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think if the conversion is planned properly, you should be able to use it during the work - it will just improve as time goes on. Have a long term plan of a layout and sequence the most important things to get done in an order that works for you.
Ventilation will be important if you want to convert a sealed panel van into a living space as condensation /drips might become an issue as well as causing corrosion that might have to be dealt with soon after.

I have a Smiley Transit Hi-Cube that I used to use for 5 nights a week until the job finished, but it was so handy for other things that if I can I'll be keeping it for a while.

ATB

Ogri the trog

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
As children, our two sons spent most of their summer holidays in camper vans travelling with us all over Europe. I used a camper van as a travelling office through the 90s: it saved me a fortune in hotels bills! We tried to do without a camper van for a bit by using an estate car with camping mattress in the back, but now we are retired we have gone back to a camper. I did toy with the idea of converting a van, but research showed it was easier to buy a ready-converted van. Our current van is from a firm that buys low-mileage VWs and then converts them. In the past I have also bought a van and had it professionally converted.

Both our sons, now in their 40s with children of their own, have camper vans, However, each has taken a different approach. Elder son bought a large second hand panel van cheaply and had it converted to his own specification: not as expensive as I had expected. Second son has had a series of larger sized vans which he converted himself. He transfers the contents to the next van, making improvements and adjustments in the light of experience. This son uses his van for work and pleasure. It is big enough to carry tools of trade and to sleep in.

As a family, we each think our approach is the best! Perhaps we are all right, but it does illustrate three different approaches, all of which work.

A lot of wise advice has been offered by previous posters- well worth reading and thinking about before making a final decision.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Have you thought of a Mazda Bongo??

I mention it as my transit day van got shelved when we bought a Bongo. Not the biggest of campers which is good for travelling, fuel, bridge costs, etc but may fit your need.

Ours hasn't got any kitchen conversion in yet but it does have the elevating roof which works for two kids sleeping. Downstairs, the seats fold down to double bed and the rear seat can be utilised as more bed or taken out for huge storage.

Not made anymore and generally imports, they tend to be low mileage from Japan with no rust or issues because of their climate. Loads sit on the dock for export. Price wise, ours is an R plate (98) but has only 53k on the clock and in really great condition for 4500 quid. Fuel wise, they're OK depending on weight obviously but a recent trip to Scotland from the bottom of Cornwall cost nearly 200 return but we did close to 1700 miles altogether.
Can highly recommend them but subscribe to Bongo Fury for more info on their travels, conversions, etc.

Hope it helps!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If you convert a van you will need to get it re-registered as a camper, otherwise you will get insurance issues.

There are various rules set by the DVLA;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/412160/Registering_a_DIY_Caravan.pdf

Insuring a camper will also be cheaper than insuring a panel van.

You don't have to inform the DVLA as car tax is based on emissions. However any modifications you do to your van may effect your insurance.

My van has all of its modifications declared with the insurance company and I may go down the re registration route eventually but it's not a priority at the moment.

Getting the thing running beautifully is.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
You don't have to inform the DVLA as car tax is based on emissions. However any modifications you do to your van may effect your insurance.

My van has all of its modifications declared with the insurance company and I may go down the re registration route eventually but it's not a priority at the moment.

Getting the thing running beautifully is.

I was talking about converting a van to a motorhome or campervan, in which case it certainly is a legal requirement to have it registered in the correct category as specified in the link I posted.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I was talking about converting a van to a motorhome or campervan, in which case it certainly is a legal requirement to have it registered in the correct category as specified in the link I posted.

I stand corrected.

The rules have recently changed and there is no legal requirement now. As long as your insurance company is fully aware of use of the vehicle.

My apologies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE