V is for Venison

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
IHKI is for I have no idea!

I have just spent a couple of days in North Norfolk and have brought home some Venison. I want to know if it's ok to freeze some and I am wanting a simple recipe for cooking some. It came packed in cling wrap stuff, Do I need to wash the blood off before cooking it? and how about using it for Jerky too?

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'd certainly rinse off any blood before cooking, and pat dry with kitchen towel. It'll freeze well.

I always think that venison repays simple cooking. Steaks or medallions are delicious pan-fried for a few minutes in a little butter, whilst joints can be roasted in the same way as beef. Grilled/pan-fried or roasted venison is best served rare. It also makes a very good casserole.

An easy sauce for venison can be made with tinned or frozen fruits of the forest, reduced and sieved, with a knob of butter stirred in before serving.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Venison makes very good jerky (low fat content really helps).
Your method of cookery will be influenced by the cut of meat, ie - loin & fillet great for frying and grilling, the big working muscles (legs) are best roasted, other less choice cuts (neck, shoulders,etc) go for longer, moist methods of cooking like stews.
Or you could mince the meat - it makes a great chilli con carne.
Pan fried Medallions served with a selection of forest mushrooms, a bittercress salad and game chips would be a suggestion as it uses other seasonal ingredients.
Neil

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Great in a simple stew, made one camping last week, garlic, onion, carrot, venison, sweet potato, stock, water and a bit of red wine, cooked for about an hour, loverly jubbly!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stop it now, I`ve just eaten a 16" pizza for my tea and you`re making me hungry again.

Tried freshly caught venison for the first time last week and it was gorgeous.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE