Using a bivi in a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
Hi all!

1. Does anyone have experience in using a bivi to shield a down sleeping bag from moisture while sleeping in a hammock and under a tarp? Is the bivi really necessary with such a setting?

2. Does anyone have similar experience but using specifically the Alpkit Hunka bivi? I am interested in this specific bivi (due to its good value for money and low weight), but I am hesitant, because it has no zip and I cannot know if it will be manageable to get from top of it while in a hammock.

3. How easy or difficult is to get into the bivi/sleeping bag set when in hammock? Any techniques?

Just for your information, I have a DD Travel hammock with a 3x3 DD tarp and a big down sleeping bag (North Face Blue Kazoo – long version). So if I ever go for the Hunka bivi, I would only consider the XL version.

Thank you!
:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't bother, your tarp will keep you dry so no need for a rain cover for your bag. I tried it once in an old Hennessy and it didn't do anything worth noting, I thought it might boost a rubbish sleeping bag rating but it didn't.

Insulation is what you need to think about for warmth, underquilts/mats etc. A well pitched tarp should easily keep you dry.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I can't comment on your preferred combo, but I do use a snugpak SF bivvi & SF sleeping bag in my DD hammock sometimes if it is really wet and windy. Not sure how I'd manage with a top-entry bivvi & sleeping bag though!

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
Thank you all.
One question through. What if there is thick fog and very wet weather. Isn't the moisture gets on (and ultimately in) the sleeping bag?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wouldn't bother, your tarp will keep you dry so no need for a rain cover for your bag. I tried it once in an old Hennessy and it didn't do anything worth noting, I thought it might boost a rubbish sleeping bag rating but it didn't.

Insulation is what you need to think about for warmth, underquilts/mats etc. A well pitched tarp should easily keep you dry.

I have found it can help cut the wind if its blowing a bit. Also helps over multiple days to keep the damp air off the bag in spring/autumn.
Getting in and out however is a case of the "Funky maggot" along with much bouncing up and down trying to get the whole lot up and around your shoulders.
Bonus side of this is getting the heart rate up and warming your bag :)

Then you need a pee. :rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you all.
One question through. What if there is thick fog and very wet weather. Isn't the moisture gets on (and ultimately in) the sleeping bag?

With wet weather no, but fog can drift through and dampen your bag slightly, I've found by the time I get up in the morning I've generated enough heat to keep it dry anyway. Have a look at weathershields on hammockforums, they're dead easy to make and will weigh a fraction of the Hunka XL

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yes, yes and simple... :)

I find the easiest method is to have a goundsheet on the floor. put the bivi open (or open end, top up) on the groundsheet, get in the hammock and zip your bag up over waste. swing legs out and stand up pulling bivi over waste (as the bag will be). sit back in hammock, swing legs in and pull bag/bivi up over shoulders.

It sounds complicated, but just takes a minute or so after you get used to it. I only really do that in the depths of winter though.

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
Thank you Shewie!
I just visited the hammockforums and searched for weathershields but did not find anything. What are these weathershields? (sorry for my ignorance)

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
Yes, yes and simple... :)

I find the easiest method is to have a goundsheet on the floor. put the bivi open (or open end, top up) on the groundsheet, get in the hammock and zip your bag up over waste. swing legs out and stand up pulling bivi over waste (as the bag will be). sit back in hammock, swing legs in and pull bag/bivi up over shoulders.

It sounds complicated, but just takes a minute or so after you get used to it. I only really do that in the depths of winter though.

Haha!!! Yes I get it, The Big Lebowski! Its sounds so fun (to watch or even better to do so!!).

Have you been using your bivi in the hammock to just add a bit of warmth or to fight moisture?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you Shewie!
I just visited the hammockforums and searched for weathershields but did not find anything. What are these weathershields? (sorry for my ignorance)

It's basically a piece of nylon which you cut to shape and then either hang over the top of your hammock or make one to go underneath. I use one under my hammock 90% of the time, it protects against splashes in heavy down pours or squirly storms blowing through.

With the DD Travel it should be easy enough to make something that fastens to the top net attachments.

Seriously though, in all the time I've been hanging I've only ever had two nights where I really needed anything on the top. Both were heavy in thick fog with no breeze, the inside of my tarp was sodden and my weathershield underneath was damp. My bags are semi water resistant though so I didn't get any trouble on top, if they hadn't of been I would have been grateful for a top cover for sure.

You'll find a lot of the moisture gets trapped in the bug net of your DD, it can be more of an issue with a fully open hammock.

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
Thanks for the informative reply Shewie.
I never really had any issue with moisture in my sleeping bag with my hammock/tarp set. And I have slept overnight in very heavy rain; but never in deep fog, so that is why I was wandering.
he idea for the simple nylon cover sounds really good in many aspects (price, weight, bulk wise). In my case, I will definitely consider for the top; for the bottom, I don't see I need it with my setup, as the DD Travel has 2 waterproof (or water resistant) layers and I also have always a closed foam mat in between the layers.

Actually, I just thought, using a simple foil (emergency) blanket on top of my sleeping bag (inside the bug net) would most likely do the job quite descently.

Last edited:

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
I just read the thread you posted Shewie. Ouh...it seems I underestimate the fog and its sleeping bag penetration abilities!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just read the thread you posted Shewie. Ouh...it seems I underestimate the fog and its sleeping bag penetration abilities!

Lol, I think sometimes there's nothing you can do about it, maybe hope for a clear day so you can air stuff out a bit.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Unnecessary IME.

I'd look at a hammock sock or weathershield as Shewie pointed out, there much more usable.

I don't miss maggot wriggling into my bed and don't ever get into the sleeping bag either-I just use it as a top quilt. Midnight pee breaks are no more a half comatose contortionists riddle. :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Haha!!! Yes I get it, The Big Lebowski! Its sounds so fun (to watch or even better to do so!!).

Have you been using your bivi in the hammock to just add a bit of warmth or to fight moisture?

Mostly for warmth but to keep the cold wet air off too. I like to keep my system modular.

Winter- Bivi, bag, silk liner.

Spring- liner, bag.

Summer- bag.

Autumn- liner, bag.

The bivi always comes out with me and I dropped my UQ for an alpkit numo which sits in the double line of the hammock. I may need a small section
of reflective 'something' to boost the numo over the winter, but its new so the justy's out. Basically the system I have at the moment does me all year.

One sleeping bag + above and gives me the option to swing or ground dwell as I choose. using a bivi is actually a doddle. throw in some port and its a different story :)

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I've always use the bivi as an outer cover to my normal sleeping bag whilst in a hammock. Have done this since experiencing a very cold wet morning after the dry night before!!! Never underestimate wind and rain if you want to stay warm. I used an inflatable roll-mat between that and the hammock for further insulation. Maybe a little over the top for some but works for me. Getting into it all is no problem either... A bit like stepping into a double layered sock and pulling it up to your armpits, sit in hammock and twist in then pull up as required. Typing this has now made me think about my next trip out.... Better get the kit packed up then! LOL :D

Lefteris

May 22, 2012
Finland
martsim73,
my main concern is the fog, because having my waterproof Travel DD hammock very close to the tarp when raining is doing the job even in heavy rain.
But I totally agree with you, rain and wind should be respected and never underestimated.

Teepee,
I know very well what you mean. The "getting into bivi&sleeping bags" techniques described here are great, but always an issue to think when you need to go out of the multi-layer system for a pee in the night.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I use a bivi but the ones i've used have zips.
Been soaked before in a hammock before,not that it stopped me sleeping, just a pain to dry off the bag in the morning.

Never found it too difficult to get into and a 'pee' bottle comes to bed with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE