Useless kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
The most useless bit of kit I ever bought was a stainless steel credit card survival tool something like the pic below withouth the plasic.... It was about as much use as a chocolate frog !!

I'll have to agree there...i have one, never have looked at a toll and thought, what on earth could i use you for? Completely and utterly useless.

(I know this may cause a few sparks {!}) Swiss Army Knives!
I have always been able to find better, although you can use them, they seem like too much effort. :?:

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
I'll stick in a vote for that reconstituted carpet fluff that most outdoor shops around these parts market as paracord.
Have to agree Adi007 on the mags as well. They were great for their day...but so were spam and brinylon. :lol:
For less than £20 you can have a dive rated PrincetonTec Tec 40 - fits in your pocket, runs well on 4 common AAs, takes PR bulbs and chucks out more light than a 3d cell Mag, plus the beam is actually smooth and blotch free!!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The most useless piece of kit i bought was an Avocet Altimeter. the batteries cost a fortune to get replaced and it was never very accurate. The shape of the glass meant it got scratched whenever i used it for climbing. Expensive impulse buy.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
maddave said:
The most useless bit of kit I ever bought was a stainless steel credit card survival tool something like the pic below withouth the plasic.... It was about as much use as a chocolate frog !!

1007.jpg

i like chocolate frogs..

Rolnick and I thought that there were a few things that needed to be added here!

1: SOG Revolver

2: Banana Guard

3: Flamingo Tent Pegs!

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I have had no problems with my Mag lites. Each my family has their own. Never had corrosion problems. I always coat the threads right away with a teflon grease. I can turn the mini mag on one handed. I have had trenching tools that were junk.

leon-1

Adi007 said:
Anyone else found that aluminium corrosion at the joints caused bit problems ... such the the light not working because it relied on the joints for electrical conduction?

Yep had that before, also had the tail cap on one of the bigger ones at work fall off completely, not the best peice of kit.

My vote goes for HighTech magnums though, I bought a set when they were new to the market (1988) and ditched them pretty sharp. However one of the guys wore them on an Op in 1992/3 and ended up with non freezing cold injuries, not allowed to do field work in cold conditions in the UK again.

They may have improved since then, but there was at least 4 years between me ditching mine (never to look at them again) and my mate ending up with problems with his feet and his were brand spanking :nono:

G

Ginja

Must say I have to stick up for the ol' MagLight (AA) ... has helped me out of many a jam after dark, and no problems after 4-5 years use ... touch wood!

My vote would go to either wire saws as mentioned previously (yep, I've also snapped every one that I've owned - 4 in total, you'd think I'd learn!); or to those cheap-ish, green 'Survival Tins' that you can pick up just about everywhere (for around a tenner) - the components have almost certainly been manufactured by the same company who produces gifts found in Christmas crackers bought from pound shops.

As for those "stainless steel credit card survival tool somethings" ... if you bought one of those, then all I can say is you were asking for it!!! :wink: (joke).

G

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
So just to steer the thread away from maglite bashing for a minute, my vote goes for a digital compass bought from LIDL. Nice big display, backlite and stuff, worked great in the house, first time I tried it outdoors (at night in a wood) I turned and it didn't. Total piece of poo ! Full refund from the store next morning !

Cheers

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My vote goes to those horrid nylon string mesh cheap £5 hammocks....I've never been able to get into one while in a sleeping bag let alone with a kitmat...and I've snapped several....and I'm not that overweight! The mesh catches on everything from pocket buttons to boot edges and then breaks!
They claim to be pocket sized but if I had that in my pocket I'd worry about being arrested for indecency - Is that a hammock in your pocket etc!
I use a nice nylon sheet type now and it's tops!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE