Cheap LED Torch Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

The escapades of those with CREE torches in a recent post by Bishop prompted me to post this.

A few years back I bought about half a dozen of the below ex military surplus torches for about 50p each as they 'had a fault' and weren't working correctly.

They are some kind of fairly mechanically tough poly carbonate in my favourite colour - olive green; have a three colour option - white red and green; are light weight and come easily to hand. They take x2 AA batteries.
There is a twist on/off switch at the base and a left/right for the filter(s)
The switch is slotted for lanyard attachment.
In addition to the fitted filament bulb there were two spares stowed in a little compartment inside the filter head.

The easily remedied fault turned out to be a slight mis-connection of spring copper contacts in the switch base.

I used them with the filament bulbs for quite a while before one day, as I had a few to experiment with, I decided to see if I could mod one to LED.

A bit of careful cutting down (of the original bulb slot) and then experimentation to find (buy) a bright white LED that would work with the AAs and not be too big to obstruct the rotating filter and Bingoland! a nice, cheap, durable, multicolour LED torch.

Its not a light sabre but its good as a local work light or showing motorists where you are if needed.

Did I mention it's in my favourite colour - olive green?

T1.jpg T2.jpg T3.jpg T4.jpg

Reactions: Bishop and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE