Useful plants to have in the garden

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
What useful plants do you grow in the garden that are not edible but grown for craft materials or medicine.I always have a few aloe vera grow somewhere(good for burns).Also want to grow some big gourds to make bottles out of them.What useful inedible plants do you guys have going in the garden?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A few flowering plants like Sweet Peas apart, but then they add nitrogen to the soil, most of the plants in my garden are edible as well as useful.
I do grow many that my neighbours consider to be weeds, like Feverfew, Fat hen, St John's wort, Mare's tail, Coltsfoot, Mugwort, Rushes.
The Rushes are for cordage, the Mugwort for hearth brushes and anti midge lotions and potions, the Flag Iris (though you can make a coffee from the seeds) is actually for cordage and dye. Meadowsweet for analgesics, Lady's Mantle for the gutation water and the tops for tea.................too many to list.........the garden is a jungle :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Toddy, can you tell me more about the flag iris coffee please? there was a discussion about this elsewhere on the web but I can't find any definitive information about it & nor could my other foraging friends.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When the seeds are ripe, and I do mean ripe, shiny, hard black like peas, otherwise it's a nono, gather them and roast them (dry cast iron frying pan) until they are cooked and crack. Store them like this and when you want to use them hit them with something like a rolling pin and then re-roast them until dark brown/ black. Use them like coffee.

There has been a discussion about acorns for coffee, usually they need leached of tannin, but around here many of the acorns are very mild, almost edible just as they fall off the trees, they don't need leached, I don't know if this is true of our Flag Iris too, I've lived in this small area all my life and it's quite a surprise to realise that folks don't know that even within the same species plants have a lot of variation. Our Bour trees, (Elders) are all different, some are better taken as flourish, some left for wine and some are fit to eat just as is.
I tried the Rosebay WIllowherb again after reading on the forum how it's best prepared...........the stuff that grows round here is still vile :(

Know your area, learn the taste and smell of the ones you use is the best advice I could offer.

As for toxicity, well I reach my half century shortly, Flag Iris coffee is an occasional drink, like dandelion or acorn, and I've never noticed any ill effects. There are huge differences in the properties of the fresh or dried roots though, maybe the seeds are similarly affected ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me neither, but I got kind of jumped on here when I said so :confused:
Seems the tannin is actually bad stuff........the acorns around here are almost buttery, I think it'd spoil them to leach them, besides being a bit of a pita to do.

cheers,
M

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Thanks for that information, most useful. Just to clarify (& before I start experimenting), we're talking about Iris pseudacorus, yes?

The 'sweetness' of some acorns thing rings a bell, I used to correspond with an american indian forager and she told me that various oak trees in ther area that had different flavours and properties some needing considerable leaching and others much less or even none at all.

I agree about knowing your patch, and doing little taste tests while you harvest. I've eaten some half decent willowherbs and some God-awful bitter ones and there's really no way to tell without a nibble first.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
p.sWe think of it as Flower of Light, well that's both the Gaelic and the old funny latinized Scots meaning of it. Sometimes the French claim it's from the Flower of Louis who used it's presense to tell him where the river he needed to ford was shallowest.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I think the modern name it's really from fleur de Lisle, where it was reputed to grow in profusion.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
We think of it as Flower of Light, well that's both the Gaelic and the old funny latinized Scots meaning of it. Sometimes the French claim it's from the Flower of Louis who used it's presense to tell him where the river he needed to ford was shallowest.

cheers,
Toddy

Flower of light is a good name for it. Its a beautiful flower when out. Thanks for the info on it...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rosebay willow herb it depends where you get it. The stuff that grows near the river trent has pith that that tastes quite sweet, so my local patch for years tasted fine, i have since moved and other locations has RBW that tastes nasty. Maybe there is differant races of RBW.

Does yellow flag root turn purple when baked, and does it smell like pig poo?

Some varieties of acorn have vertually no tannin. The grand english oak in my parents in law is not one of those, i can't see how it is possible to inavertantly consume to much tannin; after three leachings the acorn flour from this tree still had the cartoon "acme alum" mouth shrinking effect.

As for the orginal question, my allotment has a hazel and now some hawthorn seedlings for weaving, and I grow comfry, pine, and sunspurge for medicine in the back yard.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
a good shrub for the garden in my opinon would be dog wood give it 3 years to establish and then coppice the new growth after a year or so will yield one of the best woods for arrow making, when hard its like bamboo its also good for chopsticks

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
a good shrub for the garden in my opinon would be dog wood give it 3 years to establish and then coppice the new growth after a year or so will yield one of the best woods for arrow making, when hard its like bamboo its also good for chopsticks

It's good to hear dogwood mentioned, you don't often hear it. I think it's much underrated and it would be one of the first things on my list if I was planting up an area. It grows well in our garden and I use the young shoots for pea sticks, the older ones for bean poles and I've used more mature wood for making a knife handle. It burns well and has many other uses such as basketry.

I've also planted hazel for bean and pea sticks and also use the wood for skewers, field maple for use in making spoons and several others for wildlife and wine making.

We also grow plenty of herbs, not just for culinary uses but for other uses, things like lavender to keep the moths at bay.

We grow some of our own fertiliser in the form of nettles and comfrey, cut a few times a year and left to rot in a bucket of water.

There would be plenty more if we had the room!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE