Useful plants to have in the garden

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
Hi Stillwaters the knife in my avatar is the chris reeve skinner that ive adapted to my needs, its a brilliant knife and i do have more pics of it but i havent worked out how to put them on yet .The metal its made from is a2 tool steel it holds its edge and will do all tasks that its put too..robwolf

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
Hi Sloworm have you ever tried using sycamore for spoon making ,because its classed as a weed you can get it realy easy and its an utter joy to use

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Comfry for its medicinal properties, nettle, willow, hazel, sycamore, ash, all for their craft materials - though they also have medicinal/food values as well.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Hi Stillwaters the knife in my avatar is the chris reeve skinner that ive adapted to my needs, its a brilliant knife and i do have more pics of it but i havent worked out how to put them on yet .The metal its made from is a2 tool steel it holds its edge and will do all tasks that its put too..robwolf

Thanks for the reply

I shall go and have a search round google for some more pics/details

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Hi Sloworm have you ever tried using sycamore for spoon making ,because its classed as a weed you can get it realy easy and its an utter joy to use

There's a huge sycamore tree at the end of our garden and I've trimmed a few branches back and used the wood to make a few things, a spatula and a spaghetti spoon (which looks a bit rough but works quite well). As you say the woods is easy to work and it's quite a useful tree as it grows fast and I've found it burns fine and doesn't need too much seasoning time.

We also have hops growing for beer and have eaten the spare hop shoots as a spring veg.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
hi stillwater i had 2 chris reeve knives given to me by a very good friend who works at west stow anglosaxon village ,but the other knife ive given to my mate who is also into bushcraft if i still had it i would have let you have it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE