Useful Features On Multi Functional Knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Interested in getting some feedback and ideas on what people consider useful additional provisions in Knife design for an everyday knife. So not specifically Bushcrafty orientated but a generic 'jack-of-all-trades' knife.

So as a starting point of conversation do people consider the various additional extras on lets say the HEST knife useful or a step to far from the path of normal knife design?

https://www.dpxgear.com/shop/knives/dpx-hest/hest-original/hest-original.html

Featuring a bottle opener and pry bar.

To Dorset Woodland Blades that feature on some models a small Hex Bit holder.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...UICSgD&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=s8xbjQifRq2ncM:

Tritium Inlaid into the Handle I find surprisingly useful.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...sAQIHA&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=n5FVq_6cGWAsxM:

As I also find GITD handles scales useful.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...UICCgC&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=IB6n0EVJtlp13M:

So , open question which unusual or unconventional features have you found useful in a knife , or seen elsewhere or feel would be useful if combined as part of an intelligent design into a Knife. How far off the generic Knife template can we go where its actually an improvement or useful addition as opposed to gimmick.

Lets have your input. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I always thought these would be great if someone could make one that would work on a full tang knife. That said it's a lot of work when a firesteel loop on the sheath does the same job...

nuz-s-kresadlem.jpg

I like those gitd scales, seems like a good idea. Maybe gitd liners would be a nice option. Never been a fan of bowdrill bearings in a knife scale. Seems a bit superfluous when any split bit of green wood does the job just as well and to my mind more safely.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hollow handle?

Obviously the cheap survival knives were useless, but one piece Chris Reeve's and maybe even the Schrade Extreme Survival knives (?) seem a robust design... even if they look way too tactical for my liking.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I do question the necessity for a "bottle-opener" on a fixed blade knife - when all sensible advice is that when the beer comes out, the sharps go away.
Which leads into a mild mis-trust of anything that could potentially weaken a blade or tang - and - any addition that has the potential to cause injury or inconvenience while performing its primary task.

I much prefer a simple knife with no additions - and hence, if I encounter a task that cannot be addressed by my existing tools, I can either adapt the tools I already own or buy another tool dedicated to that specific use.

Not one for gimmicks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
A small prybar and a hex bit holder would be as far as i'd like to go. The prybar would be surprisingly useful if the little old folder i'v got is anything to go by
My thing with bottle openers on a fixed blade is that you can easily just use the back of the knife

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On some knives the bottle opener is also the can opener. There are tinned foods worth opening with it.

Hmm , good point , I wonder where on the knife it would be best positioned. Butt cap , but then one would lose a possible Pry bay location.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
One of the best features I really liked on one of the first bushcraft knives I have owned for many years now.
Was the mora viking I believe. It has a ruler on the blade which came in handy when cutting sting or notches and things. For reference here's a picture
afdeb21bf2ba1a99759f6d8599c0c24b.jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
As Sunndog wrote, "... you can easily just use the back of the knife," for opening bottles. With care you can open most cans with the point of the blade. A small lug or stud to serve as a fulcrum near the point would help but might get in the way at times when using the knife for other things.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Fully agree with this Gentleman on these three features, if you want gadgets buy a multi tool.

Well thats all very subjective isn't it? One mans gadget is another man's useful inclusion. I can't say I'd find a Socket for Fire drill that useful but I guess I'm imagining a firesteel being included somehow.
Obviously certain features on knives are a subjective step to far where they actually weaken the knife or become unusable in reality , however the inclusion of 'pragmatic useful' ( again I know subjective ) of additions to dead metal space I see as potentially useful - example would be Duncans ( Dorset Woodland Blades ) inclusion of a Hex bit holder as one of the more usefull additions.

A less useful addition that has just come to mind would be to me the screw driver heads on the handguard of the First Blood Knife. To me there is just more chance of me wrecking my knuckle upon it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...UICCgC&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=gUjRIMZdayv8HM:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Well thats all very subjective isn't it? One mans gadget is another man's useful inclusion. I can't say I'd find a Socket for Fire drill that useful but I guess I'm imagining a firesteel being included somehow.
Obviously certain features on knives are a subjective step to far where they actually weaken the knife or become unusable in reality , however the inclusion of 'pragmatic useful' ( again I know subjective ) of additions to dead metal space I see as potentially useful - example would be Duncans ( Dorset Woodland Blades ) inclusion of a Hex bit holder as one of the more usefull additions.

A less useful addition that has just come to mind would be to me the screw driver heads on the handguard of the First Blood Knife. To me there is just more chance of me wrecking my knuckle upon it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...UICCgC&biw=1482&bih=803#imgrc=gUjRIMZdayv8HM:

Once again agree, it is subjective...I tend to use the now drill often so it'd be quite handy...I think I'd rather have a decent knife that does what it's supposed and isn't compromised by the additions or frills- I guess that's why the mora is so popular...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've always liked Gerber's idea of including a back-up sharpener in the sheaths of their lmf series. In a bad situation that may come in for some real use. I'm hoping to get one at some point.

Tonuk

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Can anyone tell me what the serrated bits are for beyond possibly scrapping the crud from a filleted fish please? There's no cutting edge to the teeth.
aaa08f52-8519-4a02-ba59-903609ba63b5_zps0ecxkqdo.jpg
[/IMG]
Cheers

K

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I like my fixed blades simple Ie just that a blade. However, for work on a daily basis I carry a multi tool, hardly ever use the blades but do use the tools daily, I also carry a sak farmer, & use the blade every day & the saw.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE