US plumbs hand axe...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

a few weeks ago on my weekly trip to the bootsale, i picked up this rather nice little boy scouts axe, apparently made by plumb of the US
it says 1944, i'm not too sure whether that's the date it was manufactured or the model number??
i have found out via the interweb that it's a boy scout model and that before they ceased trading, plumbs made among the better quality forged axes in the US...

here's a pic or two...

i bought the little double edged dagger the same day along with loads of other stuff, a bumper day which makes up for coming home empty handed ;)

carbootystuff1.jpg

a closer shot..
carbootystuff2.jpg

does anyone have any more info on these??

regards, john :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
:D

Well, I'm no expert on Plumbs but that one looks pretty interesting. I've never seen one quite like it before. What info do you have that says it's a Boy Scout axe? I have a couple BSA axes (hatchets) and none look quite like that one. I actually like the looks of that one more. Also, my BSA axes have the BSA logo stamped on them. I have a couple full-sized Plumbs that I'd put up against any all-round axe and much prefer them over the gransfors feller. One I've had for nearly 30 years.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
:D

Well, I'm no expert on Plumbs but that one looks pretty interesting. I've never seen one quite like it before. What info do you have that says it's a Boy Scout axe? I have a couple BSA axes (hatchets) and none look quite like that one. I actually like the looks of that one more. Also, my BSA axes have the BSA logo stamped on them. I have a couple full-sized Plumbs that I'd put up against any all-round axe and much prefer them over the gransfors feller. One I've had for nearly 30 years.

Hello hoodoo

i did a search of the internet and it brought up a sort of review of this type of plumbs axe and called it a boy scout axe..(i can't find it now though :( )

there seems to be plenty of pic's of this pattern axe on the web...

regards, john :)

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I have one just like it, thin edge, good slicer.....

I've read they were US Army issue during WWII, hence the date.

I'm pretty sure it was never an offical BSA issue...

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Cool find. I think that would be known as an M-1910 hand axe, issued to medics, and also one axe was allotted per squad of ten to twelve men.
post-67-1176305385.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE