us modular sleep system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi all
I bought a woodlore sleeping bag last year but found it to restricting
so it has been shelved .
I have been recently looking at the us modular sleep system
and all though they have the sizes of each bag i was wondering if anyone had used the system and is it roomy when all components
are used together.
The system will only be used out of a vehicle so weight is not an issue.

Thanks swagman.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
sizes of sleeping bags do very but for instance i find most bags to big cos i am a nine and a half racing snake so it does depends on you really and my advice is get to a army surpless store that sells them and try it out drew

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Aye,it's roomy enough.

There's bigger than me use it,i'm an average large size.

Best wait for their replies though.

(and you can stop sniggering Gill).

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
What Tom said.

Should be fine. I'm just over 6 ft and of the X(X)L calibre.

If you fall within those dimensions you'll be ok.

I've had one over a year now, used regularly and they are good kit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your 6' or more make sure you get the 'Large' version or you may be a bit too snug in the US system. Also make sure its a genuine set, there are a lot of copies on sale in the UK.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Thanks guys for the feedback i have been looking at strikeforce army
supplies who have them for 99 pounds i will contact them to see if they are genuine and for p&p to Australia.

Thanks again all

Swagman

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
IIRC the biggest supplier is Tennier Industries, personally I would not buy if not made by them; good luck with Australian postage:yikes: These are not a lightweight system. In your neck of the woods would something like a Fairydown bag or bags be an option? Quality kit.

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
im 6'2" and medium build, use mine regularly but havent had need to use all the bags together ,have tried it out though in the garden for an evening and its roomy enough with all the bags together . got mine from the evil bay for £99 its gen tennier and i think postage was about 20 quid from usa. its a good bit of kit.

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
i fit in mines and im 6ft1 with a big belly lol but the MSS itself is very heavy and bulky if u are carrying it about, its seriously massive!

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Well guys i have bought an updated version of the modular sleep system i think the diference is colour and less weight and bulk.
I bought it of e bay from usa it is Tennier industries and the company i bought it from guaranteed it genuine issue.
All together it is a bit more bulky than my woodlore bag but its not to bad.
Size wise its nice and long and wide at the top but narrows at the foot end a bit to much for me but i will get use to that all in all its good.
My only gripe would be the thiker bag of the two still seems very thin . i think for me (who sleeps in the nud) -0c will be about the tempt rating. If any one knows anything about these updated bags which are a 5 pice kit ( you get an extra stuff sack) i would love to know about them.
Thank you Swagman.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I think the only difference is the 5 piece kit is in ACU and grey shades rather than Woodland cam and black/green? And the extra stuffsack you mentioned (presumably its one stuffsack for summer bag and one for the winter bag, I never use studffsacks anyway)?

I'm not 100% on this so please don't take it as gospel truth but I thought it was a simple colour issue, they changed the dossbags to match their new cammies... That's the only reason I could think of to explain why so many brand new, fit for purpose US dossbags were being sold of as 'surplus to requirements' in any case...

Did you say you ordered one? Let us know how it goes, and where did you get it from? I've got the US woodland MSS but I think the other-half's tattered old sleeping bag will be lucky to be good down to about +5C and we are off to colder climes soon, so getting one of these for her might be a wise move...

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi Iano

I did find something on the net about them making them lighter and smaller pack size but i cant find it now.
I got mine from Gingys tactical military surplus they are based in the us and have an ebay site.
The sleep system is ment to go down to minus 40f not sure what that is in centigrade but i would say -0c would be realistic.

Swagman

Dec 30, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I recently got one of these. The specs you can find on the net do indeed say that it goes down to -40, which happens to be the point at which centigrade and Fahrenheit are equal (-40f = -40C). I hope never to have to sleep out at that temperature and I am not convinced that it is good for this! Looking forward to trying it out in UK winter conditions - hope it is good enough for this, at least.
Richard

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I recently got one of these. The specs you can find on the net do indeed say that it goes down to -40, which happens to be the point at which centigrade and Fahrenheit are equal (-40f = -40C). I hope never to have to sleep out at that temperature and I am not convinced that it is good for this! Looking forward to trying it out in UK winter conditions - hope it is good enough for this, at least.
Richard

See my post,certainly works between -8 and -12 celsius.
Tom.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Cheers gents I will look up that Gingys and see what's on offer.

If you read the blurb on the foot area (if it's anything like the woodland one I have) it should give you the spec. After converting the F to C it seems that the winter bag on it's own is good to about -18/19C (which doesn't seem unrealistic, it is bulky and warm) and I can't remember the summer bag on it's own's rating, but both together and in the bivvy it said it should be good down to -45C (unless my F to C conversion was wrong)! How they test that I don't know, but I guess it kind've makes sense if you want to be able to go anywhere in the world with it - i.e. the Winter War in Finland and Karelia in late 1939 and early 1940 was fought in temperatures from -20 to -40C, and that was done without the benefit of modern fabrics and technologies.

I would have thought that the -45C rating was with a good condition clean dry bag, after hot scoff and a hot brew before turning in, wearing your warm kit inside your bag, out of the wind, with a good mat under you and a good tent over you and others, and all sorts of other caveats though. I've never worked in those sorts of temperatures so I really couldn't say what's feasible and what's not - perhaps some of our Scandinavian or Canadian members could advise?

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi guys

I do think there must be a diference between the inproved system and the old system as my cold weather bag dose seem thin i have an old snugpac softie 12 rated to -12 and the army bag is not as thick as that . But maybe i was expecting to much.

Swagman

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
im pretty sure that they would be tested using the bivvy bag, which is an extra layer so the bags maybe thinner than your average bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE