us modular sleep system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I am 6' 2" and 25 stones and my lightweight sleeping bag and bivvy fit me fine, not sure if I have the large, I don't think it is as it isn't stated anywhere. The lightweight one keeps me warm enough with the bivvy bag for when I've used it in mild winter conditions, good job to as the black warmer sleeping bag is a bit on the snug side.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
The long versions are 'extra long' at 14" longer than the normal versions (which are made to fit a person up to 6'4 (mine swamps me at a miserly 6'). So i doubt most of us would actually want/need the long version. The system was designed to enable a fully clothed combat soldier with access to ECW clothing to have a minimum of 4 hrs undisturbed sleep (guaranteed no incoming rounds ;) ) in temps down to -40 to -50 but this would entail using all three bags. I do not know, however, whether this includes sleeping in a shelter or exposed outside.

Bags were revised gradually from late 2005 to new camo and now known as (according to the MSN's) the 'Improved' version, which also includes a smaller stuff sack.
Cheers
Sack

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great bag in my opinion, but the -40 is very optimistic. Fortunately it doesn't get very cold in England! When it is cold I put the bags in opposite to what the instructions say, put the bigger green bag into the smaller black bag, seems to keep it toastier...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i,ve seen these and begun to get interested,

one question is, they specify "4 hours sleep @ -30"

now i may sound cynical,..but what wakes you up after the 4 hours?

cos once i,m gone i, dont shift for 7 at least, is it summat to do with moisture fro inside?

or slow compression of the insulation??

dunno

oh there heavy too, i think 3 kgs?? now unless you got a Sweedish trip planned i cant justified moving away from a simple wool blanket set up.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
i,ve seen these and begun to get interested,

one question is, they specify "4 hours sleep @ -30"

now i may sound cynical,..but what wakes you up after the 4 hours?

cos once i,m gone i, dont shift for 7 at least, is it summat to do with moisture fro inside?

or slow compression of the insulation??

dunno

oh there heavy too, i think 3 kgs?? now unless you got a Sweedish trip planned i cant justified moving away from a simple wool blanket set up.

If I slept out in -40 in one of these I reckon I'd wake up dead. They are heavy on paper but I've never had a problem carrying mine in the winter with all three bags. I love the idea of wool blankets but wouldn't be able to carry enough to keep me warm in the winter! If wool's enough for you I certainly wouldn't bother buying one of these, it would be a waste of money. I'm not sure of the technical reason for American soldiers lasting 4 hours in tests, but I do know -40 is very cold, even when it's a dry cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE