US CFP-90 pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes they are definitely real Rik. It was based on the Lowe Alpine LCS-84. I have just aquired one but I don't really have any time under it yet so I cain't commit on how good it is but it is CAVERNOUS! The first one I got was damaged; the adjustment track was shattered and 3 of the fastex buckles for attaching the detachable patrol (day) pack (looks like there isn't one with your ebay example) but the vendor exchanged it quickly.

The description of your ebay example is also wrong; there is NO external frame. Rather it has 2 aluminum staves (one down each side) to give it body and support.

Here's a link to a review www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com/cfp-90-field-pack

And here's one to a youtube commentary www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BzMJZHkGg that shows the torso length adjustment sytem.

Oh, and to answer your question; yes that is a good price IF! it's in good shape. Even without the detachable patrol pack (which would add anothe 1200 cubic inch capacity (about 20 liters)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Sandbender. I was looking for your thread to link but I couldn't find it. In my 1st post above I listed it as "LCS-80." I've corrected that now.

It has the Torso Trac suspension sytem shown in your thread.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good luck chap :)

Santaman, what would you attach to these, purely academic from my point of view but interesting none the less.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good luck chap :)

Santaman, what would you attach to these, purely academic from my point of view but interesting none the less.

I'm not sure I understand your question Rik.

Are you asking about attaching the patrol pack? If so here is a link to it www.nxsurplus.com/backpacks/cfp-90/the-cfp-90-patrol-pack It has a 1 inch webbing strap in each corner with fastex buckles to attach to the main pack near or on the top. When attached it adds to the total capacity of the system (an additional 1200 cubic inches or about 20 liters) When detached, the patrol pack has its own carry straps and is a two compartmant day pack. Disclaimer: The above link is likely a cheap, low quality commercial knock-off rather than a genuine pack at that price.

Or are you asking what you would attach to the large webbing sewn around the main pack? That was designed to attach any gear with ALICE clips too www.redesupply.com/p596/ALICE-Clips/product_info.html They were use to attach any/everythingfrom compass pouches, 1st aid kits, canteens, etc. ALICE clips have been almost universally replaced by the MOLLE system in military usage but they are plentifully and cheaply available as surplus. The grommets you see in that webbing is spaced to accept the older wire hanger type attachments found on military gear. Those webbing points also work well with lashing straps.

Please understand that I'm still learning about this pack too. I remember lusting for it when it first appeared (in the early 1990s) but it was never in general issue and new ones were going fo over $200. It was meant as a replacement for the older ALICE packs, especially for extended or cold weather ops, but MOLLE soon took over the military market.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I prefer a Bergen! For the same price I would get a Lowe Alpine Sting/Stingray..."

The same price presuming that the seller gets a few more bids in, it is currently sitting at £35, which would be a good buy for someone. :)

How has the back system improved since then, I used to use Lowe packs all the time, the current back systems seem very similar, maybe tweaked a little but not much different. Just curious.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Saw one in a surplus shop the other day.

I prefer a Bergen! For the same price I would get a Lowe Alpine Sting/Stingray, they have a much better back system.

Does the LA keep the pack off your back (I mean the actual pack, not the load) so that the sweat can evaporate in the heat? Or the Bergen? Most of what people refer to as "better" back sytems mean more padding (thick, hot padding) held right against your back. I haven't had my CFP-90 out with a load yet so I don't really KNOW how well it will either but it seems that with only 2 contact points (the belt & the padded tringle covering the suspension adjustment) it should do. Also do the LA or the Bergen offer this load capacity? (a bit over 131 liters when the patrol pack is attached or 111 without)

I suppose some of those may be moot questions anyway as I suspect it's a larger pack than I need for a hot weather pack.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE