Urban foragers garden ideas needed .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Do wild strawberries do better growing in rocky places? That's where I notice they like to grow in the wild. I have an idea of building a 'wall' of wild strawberries with hollow bricks and letting them grow there.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Chenopodium giganteum or Tree Spinach. Excellent, good edible leaves. Mine is growing several inches a day. Very productive, good looking and pretty tasty. Ots a close relative of Fat Hen/Good king henry so grows well in the UK. Should self seed easily although I don't know from experience as this is my first year of growing it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_giganteum

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Do wild strawberries do better growing in rocky places? That's where I notice they like to grow in the wild. I have an idea of building a 'wall' of wild strawberries with hollow bricks and letting them grow there.

I found all of mine growing along a fence . The soil was full of stone and flint. And they where sheltered all day from direct sun light if that helps . (I'm no pro) :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Blackberry and Raspberry, get my vote.

But a odd one might be Turnips, I see so many ferral ones it just grows without tending, Also while it's growing Wild onions are a nice one to grow.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Try some Oca chap. Not a wild plant of ours but one from south America. Amazing plant - totally edible. It forms underground tubers that taste like lemony potatoes, has lush compact green foliage that looks likes huge mounds of wood sorrel and taste much like it too soft, luscious with a "green apple peel" bite. Even has little edible yellow flowers.

Seed Oca by British Red, on Flickr

Oca PLants by British Red, on Flickr

One of my favourite "oddity plants".

Expensive to buy initially at about a quid a tuber (try Ebay or www.realseeds.co.uk). The tubers are only available in Winter (they don't form until frost kills the foliage), but you get loads from each tuber and just re-plant your own. I have spent two years breeding up my own stock (I may have some to sell in the Winter if you can't find any subject to how the crop goes this year)

Another great plant is normal sorrel

9 - sorrel by British Red, on Flickr

Spear shaped leaves, again with that green apple bite.

Don't eat pounds of the foliage of either repeatedly as they contain oxalic acid which gives them their "bite" - but they are fantastic to eat

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Cheers red I'll take a look . May I pick your brain . I collected some wild Garlic . Waited till it died back then re potted the bulbs in a planter . When should I expect some signs of life . And where would be best to place the planter . I.e lots or little light dry or damp area etc .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so - dappled shade, keep cool and damp. They will emerge in early spring and die back each summer.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Thanks red , Do keep on posting great threads mate . I look at you for reference in most things grown and green . :thumbup:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sensible to plant them now Paddy - mark the spot with a stick and watch for the leaves to emerge in March or so. Easier to plant now when the bulbs are dormant and let them come back to life in their own time (rather like planting daffodil bulbs in the Autumn). If you have decent sized bulbs (about third joint of your thumb), they should come back fine - mine did. Plant about an inch below the surface.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
garlic.jpg there are four bulbs in this simple planter I knocked up .
And each about 4-5 cm in length .
I have access to many more but don't wish for them to blanket my garden .
No matter how great the smell would be .
Eventually I have a nice shaded area of my garden in mind for them to take over .
if you look closely your see my boy has germinated the chicken feed in the centre .
The little man thinks he's helping :banghead:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't worry too much about the take over. This is mainly from seed & bulbule dropping onto soil. If you don't want that, just mulch with wood chip or bark and they don't touch the soil to root. If they get too rampant, dig up the bulbs and roast with some tomatoes....mmmm

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hungry now cheers !

This may help

Pick some tomatoes from the green house, sling em in a steel bowl from the barbecue drizzled in oil and a splash of balsamic. Put whole ramsom cloves in tin foil with a splash of oil. Cover the Barbie for an hour

Roast tomato and garlic by British Red, on Flickr

Toast some home made bread on the BBQ, rub with soft roasted garlic, cover in toms and some poached fresh field beans from the garden

Beans on toast by British Red, on Flickr

Best beans on toast you'll have in a while - cost me nowt either!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE