Urban foragers garden ideas needed .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I would like to fill my garden with as many edibles as possible. But other than the typical tomatoes carrots potato etc . Id like to have a wilder variety . I'm looking at wild garlic and how best to introduce it in my garden atm . Mushroom dowls sound like fun also. But I need more ideas , methods of introduction etc . This is my first opportunity to start growing and Id like my garden to be seasonal and different to the normal boring housing estate garden . And ideas or sources and methods would be great .
Paddytray .;

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My two favourite things for munching alone the river banks here are the wild raspberries and the little vetch pods... (Yumm mini peas). Both will grow in marginal edges.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I'm training the brambles I have at the top end of my garden for the blackberries and I'm growing both domestic and wild strawberries and blueberries. Ive Followed Britishreds wild gralic thread and have some in a large pot as we speak . I'm going to by a licorice plant also . Raspberries would be a good addition. Thank you
But what are vetch pods ?
Paddytray .;

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Marcus Harrison of the Wild Food School has produced a book on wild food plants for your garden. Can't see it listed on his website now but if you contact him he might be able to supply one. Very interesting read as to how you can turn a corner of your garden into a forager's patch with plants resistant to the things that damage cultivated plants.
http://www.wildfoodschool.co.uk/

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Vetch are members of the legume/pea family WIKILINK & Plants for the Future. I eat the little peas while they're green, but the dried seed can be ground or have heard used like lentils - heck of a lot of gathering. I just have them as a fresh snack.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cow parsley and hogweed for verges, obviously look at herbs for growing in pots (thyme, marjoram, mint, nettle, chives are all native), you can eat dandelions. Also things like fennel, wild onion, redcurrant, gooseberry, wild strawberry. dog rose for hips and petals, hedge garlic, sorrel, elder, and of course if you can manage it, perhaps a small apple or something.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's maybe a seasonal bump that would keep this thread productive ?

Right now among the edibles in my garden .....lesser celandines, bistort, dockens, nettles, hairy bittercress, chives and wild onions, wild strawberries, plantain, roses, rowans and hawthorns flowering and coming into fruit, oats and wheat, mints and assorted herbs. There are other usefuls though; I grow lesser reedmace in the pond for the heads for both pollen (protein rich and a good addition to flour) and the stems and leaves for basketry. I grow iris' for the leaves for cordage and basketry too. Pignuts and the sweet cicely grow happily in pots. Soapwort sprawls over a small bed beside the kitchen door.
Willows for coppicing grow along the fence and are both pretty to look at and easily kept under control. Meadowsweet and feverfew for painkillers, lady's mantle and tansy and mugwort, tarragon, sage, thyme and lemon balm. I grow rasps, rhubarb, blackcurrants and apples and quinces for fruit.

In among that lot come up the seasonal plants, the primroses, the bluebells and the everything from narcissus to saffron crocus'.

I love the changing seasons and the scents of the plants that come up in their time. Roses and honeysuckle, jasmine and philadelphus, sweet peas and nasturtium (mind these are edible too), lavender and St.John's wort, heartsease and foxgloves.

My garden is a vibrantly alive wee jungle :D and there's no crime to potting up a plant that might prove useful and taking care of it for a year to suss it out :approve:

It's a bit of blessed calm all year round.

"A garden is a good friend you are welcome to visit anytime"

atb,
M

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke

Right now among the edibles in my garden .....lesser celandines, bistort, dockens, nettles, hairy bittercress, chives and wild onions, wild strawberries, plantain, roses, rowans and hawthorns flowering and coming into fruit, oats and wheat, mints and assorted herbs. There are other usefuls though; I grow lesser reedmace in the pond for the heads for both pollen (protein rich and a good addition to flour) and the stems and leaves for basketry. I grow iris' for the leaves for cordage and basketry too. Pignuts and the sweet cicely grow happily in pots. Soapwort sprawls over a small bed beside the kitchen door.
Willows for coppicing grow along the fence and are both pretty to look at and easily kept under control. Meadowsweet and feverfew for painkillers, lady's mantle and tansy and mugwort, tarragon, sage, thyme and lemon balm. I grow rasps, rhubarb, blackcurrants and apples and quinces for fruit.

In among that lot come up the seasonal plants, the primroses, the bluebells and the everything from narcissus to saffron crocus'.

I love the changing seasons and the scents of the plants that come up in their time. Roses and honeysuckle, jasmine and philadelphus, sweet peas and nasturtium (mind these are edible too), lavender and St.John's wort, heartsease and foxgloves.

My garden is a vibrantly alive wee jungle :D and there's no crime to potting up a plant that might prove useful and taking care of it for a year to suss it out :approve:

atb,
M

That's exactly what I'm hoping for . I have loved watching the seasons roll in . And if I can enjoy watching and encouraging my own edibles this year it would be great . uploadfromtaptalk1372013882438.jpg summer has arrived in my garden :) .
P.s sorry if my replies are short or blunt . I'm all thumbs and dyslexic and I really struggle much to my own annoyance .

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

xylaria

grow burdock, look up double digging and collect a few seeds from the wild. With plenty of matter dug in and growing it in soil that has been tilled dip. A good food source in 18months time, work well planted with jersalum artichoke, they are dug up the same time. Wild roses provide plenty of food, good hip years are normally bad years for tomatos.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Other things to consider, room permitting, would be:

a good hazel variety for nuts, useful wood and interest
hop plants for edible shoots, good summer screening and useful flowers (pick a named variety if you wish to make beer and ask around for a cutting as they are very easy to grow)
perennial brassicas for leaves and edible flowers (again ask around for a cutting or saved seed)
horse radish
tayberry/logan berry if you have room for a climbing raspberry type plant

(Do take care as many of the plants listed in this thread can be very invasive!)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I've found some wild strawberries locally and potted them . And I'm hoping my wild garlic I collected will settle in well . I know how invasive that can be so I'm building some beds for it to spread (looking forward to the amazing smell) . I've started training the brambles using chicken wire in a attempt to keep them in check . But I've a fence to replace there soon so that will be fun to work around lol . Thank you all for all your wonderful ideas I have much to think about . Recipes to consider and future jarring drying and freezing of berries , beers and wines . I can't wait to really get stuck in .

Paddytray .;

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK

atb,
M
I'd love to see pics Mary at some point if that's not too intrusive?!
On the subject of willow is there a particular variety that's best suited for baskets and weaving?
I'm considering planting some around the hedge here but unsure what to buy/ nick cuttings off!!!
Ta d

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Well I've made a start we have . Wild garlic & the usual type 2 types of lettuce 2 possibly 3 types of strawberry one is domestic strawberries another wild both shop brought . And another of ones I collected from my estate along the hedges that look like domestic . We also have onions ,chives ,chillies ,radish ,2 lots of carrots ,poppies ,broad beans , peas, blueberries, I'm training brambles for the blackberries. We have liquorice . Tomatoes , basil, parsley, potatoes, and finally chickens .uploadfromtaptalk1373829913541.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373829992689.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830017836.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830039718.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830121463.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830210723.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830228494.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373830253231.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Inspirational thread. I need to audit what is already in my garden and see what to plant next.

Cheers
Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
what plant is this?

cheers

Joab

That's exactly what I'm hoping for . I have loved watching the seasons roll in . And if I can enjoy watching and encouraging my own edibles this year it would be great . View attachment 19720 summer has arrived in my garden :) .
P.s sorry if my replies are short or blunt . I'm all thumbs and dyslexic and I really struggle much to my own annoyance .

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE