Urban fishing...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I went out with the wife last night for a meal when I spotted this heron busy fishing. Sorry for the poor picture but it was with my mobile phone

Untitled.jpg

I was able to get within about 20 feet of it to take the picture which is amazing in itself...

What was more surprising was where it was... right in the town centre :)

IMAG0096.jpg

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I can only asume you haven't been to Amsterdam. Herons stand within arms reach of fisherman, waiting for the next catch. They're as common as sparrows here.
Aren't herons a common sight in Brittain?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice pic Steve.

Years ago I happened to go around to a work mates house and actually laughed out loud at the model Heron he had sitting in his poxy little 4 foot wide garden pond. It looked really pretentious, though not quite as bad as garden gnomes. :eek: Anyway he cooly explained that a Heron will only feed whilst on its own and never from the same place that another Heron is sitting at (don't quote me on that though given Jorn's comment above) So having lost about 12 of his coy carp in one day that he had in his pond to a cheeky urban fishing Heron he invested in the dummy Heron and had no problems thereafter.

Still found it amusing that he had to buy a plastic heron, his remaining fish must have been terrified.

Seen a few Herons at the lake just north of us but never even got anywhere near as close as that to photograph it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE