Urban bushcraft - tomato question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Hi folks. Not been here for a while.

I have a question about my tomatoes and I'm justifying posting it here because gardening is a form of urban bushcraft! ;-)

Most of my outdoor plants, for the third year running, have become chutney because most couldn't win the race between ripening and rotting in the useless growing weather we've had these last few years.

However, I still have half a dozen greenhouse plants which are horribly healthy and still dripping with big, fat, round and happy-looking green fruit! And they won't ripen! And they have no hope of ripening now!

So, essentially, my greenhouse has become a fridge.

Now, I know my only option is to either try to ripen them indoors or make yet more chutney, but I swear if I see another jar of the stuff, something in my head will snap. Problem is, I've not had a lot of success ripening indoors.

What do the other urban bushcrafters recommend as the best method for reddening my green fruit?

Cheers

One point to remember is that having much of a crop at all is fortunate this year. Even the holder of the official "best plot" at our allotments lost most of his crop this year. There's been a lot of trouble with blight.

I can't help with the ripening question, but you might want to take a look at the forum at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/ where you might get some good advice.
That said, there are plenty of us grow-you-own types on here (though I'm just starting my first year, hence no real help) and you'll probably get a decent answer on here too.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Where can I find this "sunny window"? ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions. How much of a factor is heat in all this? Perhaps a radiator or some insulation would also help?

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I don't think heat makes any difference once they are off the plant. But what a bad year for fruit, I remember 2 years ago when we had blackberries after every meal, this year they taste moldy.

Still maybe we will get some snow this year to do some bushcraft tobogganing.:sulkoff:

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Ok, today I harvested the fruit from the refrigerator... er, greenhouse and as I had my camera with me, did the obvious thing!

Check out these curvaceous green berries (for a tomato fruit is indeed categorised as a berry!)

SDC11022.jpg

Phwoarrrr

Notice that there are still new flower heads appearing at this late date, mid way through October!

And now for an extreme closeup!

SDC11024.jpg

SDC11025.jpg

SDC11026.jpg

So anyway, about the ripening issue... I was thinking that I might try showing these little beauties some of my secret stash of magazines what I keeps openly hidden under the bed :naughty:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
A freind of mine make green tomato jam from hers, apparently it's easier than chutney and very nice on toast too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE