Unusual request for leather makers 'Fuel Tank Cover'

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I Have a XL1200R Sportster Harley Davidson and I need to kill 2 birds with one stone.

This is a bit experimental, what I am after is a Full Petrol tank cover in Black leather. Harley already offer a bib to protect the lower half of the tank but I want to cover the whole top side of the tank.

This changes the Tank to Black and protects it from dings etc.

The price of painting the tank must be more than it would take to make the cover.

The leather does not have to be thick, it will probably need to be stiched together to fit over the tank.

Shaping will be the difficult bit I think, It doesnt have to be perfect so as long as it stays together i will be happy.

The tank looks like this
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Sportster-3-3-Gallon-Color-Matched-Fuel-Tank-1.htm

It holds 12.5 liters of fuel so its not that big.

I would only need the cover to cover the top visible section not underneath.

I would like a quote for this work if you think you can do it please post here.

Thanks

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
lol id have ago but id be spending to much time perving over your ride lol.

In all honesty LP i'd paint the tank mate, you got a peanut tank on it?

if its just black you want, it would cost less to paint than to make a leather wrap.

Plus for a decent fit most folks would want the tank in there hands, i know i would

I would like to give this a go as a few of my mates are bikers but dont have your ride, so im out

ATB

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
could you create a thin cardboard mockup? if so I'd have a go if you want.....

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
lol id have ago but id be spending to much time perving over your ride lol.

In all honesty LP i'd paint the tank mate, you got a peanut tank on it?

if its just black you want, it would cost less to paint than to make a leather wrap.

Plus for a decent fit most folks would want the tank in there hands, i know i would

I would like to give this a go as a few of my mates are bikers but dont have your ride, so im out

ATB

I know its awkward and strange request but if I went for paint I would try to use a proper painter which could cost any price they make up and being a harley increases the price by 20% straight away! Plus it would be a bit different :)

If I could suss out a way to get the tank to the maker easily it would be good. The tank is a standard sportster peanut 3.3 gallon tank.

But I am doing this on a budget so maybe it would be too much work to justify the price I can afford.
Also though, there maybe the interest from other harley owners of which I can inform a few.

I will try and have a play around with cardboard and contact you guys soon, and thanks for the replys, Much appreciated.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Here's an idea for making a pattern. Get an old tshirt and cover the tank with it (this is sacrificial, you'll have to cut the tshirt up later). Get as many wrinkles out as you can. Once you've got the tshirt looking ok (tied in place I guess?) cover it with a layer of duck tape, horizontal and vertical. Mark out on the duck tape where you want the cover to come to and remove the lot from the tank. You can then cut the duck tape to give you the pattern of the tank. Be sure to mark it front and back :) and if you cut it into panels be sure to mark across the cut lines first so you know where it lines up.

The idea is to get the pattern pieces as flat as you can, but in the smallest number of pieces too. Probably best to do a centre piece full length of the tank and 1 or more side pieces?

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Here's an idea for making a pattern. Get an old tshirt and cover the tank with it (this is sacrificial, you'll have to cut the tshirt up later). Get as many wrinkles out as you can. Once you've got the tshirt looking ok (tied in place I guess?) cover it with a layer of duck tape, horizontal and vertical. Mark out on the duck tape where you want the cover to come to and remove the lot from the tank. You can then cut the duck tape to give you the pattern of the tank. Be sure to mark it front and back :) and if you cut it into panels be sure to mark across the cut lines first so you know where it lines up.

The idea is to get the pattern pieces as flat as you can, but in the smallest number of pieces too. Probably best to do a centre piece full length of the tank and 1 or more side pieces?

Good thinking!! Thanks I will give that a try.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
If you do the cloth and gaffa tape idea (which is a cracker BTW) I would suggest leaving it intact and letting the maker cut it as required. Not only would they get a better idea of the final shape they would probably cut it differently depending on how they intend making it up ;)

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
:D

Got the idea from a crafts forum. I was originally looking to find a way to do a fitted leather corset for a girl without my Mrs going ballistic!

One other thing the maker can do, especially if you make 2 tshirt&gaffatape templates, is fill one with something like plaster of paris, then they have a hard model of your tank to fit the leather to.

I would be interested in doing this myself, but right now I'm too skint to get the leather in!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I have seen a couple of low rider tanks covered in leather and in veg tanned leather which was tooled up (stamped).
The only prob is that someone will need the tank to make the cover fit it.

Topknot

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I'd have a go at that too. But as already said, I'd want the tank to work from. The idea of making a pattern is not a bad idea, the problem still is that the pattern made with duct tape would be flexible, which is not the case with the tank. You couldn't be sure the cover would fit properly, which could become an expensive mistake both for the maker or you!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Ok thanks for the replys, I don't think I will have time to get into this before christmas, so as soon as I get it down I will post back here, Thanks All and Happy Holidays :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
little bit of progress with this, I bought a black leather jacket from oxfam which seems to be of good quality. Guessing i would say its 2mm thick leather, It's got a seam running down the whole of the back so I will need to cut out a hole for the fuel cap.

I'm thinking I will make a few templates and then cut the leather and stitch it together with black 550 paracord in a sort of shoe lace way.
I have a hole punch that will make nice holes so really it just waiting for a nice day to have a go.

I also have some nice brass poppers from my last project which will look nice too.

I might need some advice on stitching leather to a seam edge. what tools to buy and types of thread I should use too would be good.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sounds like a plan to me LP! - shout if you need advice and keep a photo record as you go, It sounds like it will be a fun project ;)

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Good work LP, deffo keep a picture diary. How bout using some nickel eyelets to thread the paracord through, that will add some strength to the holes you will have made and look a tad nicer IMHO. it's always better to have a go yourself ;)

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I did consider using some sort of eyelet but the problem there is the natural rubbing effect on the tank which will eventually scratch it. I "think" the leather will be tough enough to resist the tying up and i really dont think the cover will need to come off very often, maybe you could suggest some eyelets to look at or a solution to protect the tank. I will probably make an order from leprovo sooner or later.

Thanks All !!

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I'd have thought the thickness of the 550 cord would keep the eyelets up off the tank - perhaps not though. You could put some sort of gusset behind them perhaps.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
I use 1/4 inch eyelets, I think leprevo do them, I order my stuff through tandys. As hedgehog says a gusset on the back would work a treat.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
You could always stitch a piece of leather as a flap on the inside of the eyelets so they don't rub (and put felt under the leather for the same reason on the rest of it).

As for the suggestions about painting the tank - wash your mouths out with soapy water - for shame....its not as cool as covering it in leather (and not as easy to go back to the original colour when you decide to upgrade to a big 'un - you know you will...everyone does ;)). I thought about covering my Heritage twin tanks but not out of the thought stage yet
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Come on Kev, you know that a good custom paint job on a tank is so much sweeter and I love peanut tanks, they are old skool. I must admit, peanuts look better on bobbers but they add a sexy sleekness to a bike. Cracking idea about using felt on the underside to protect the tank.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE